Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Big Bash League. Aussie T20.

• 28-12-2020 9:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭

Thread for my second favourite (after the Blast in England) T20 competition, the BBL.
    Brisbane Heat collapsing again. Woeful stuff after such a solid start.

So Heat rallied and finished the game off comfortably in the end for their first win.

Today's game Scorchers started well with the ball but Strikers beginning to score a few now.

Brian Lara is a dreadful commentator. Hasn't done any research into the team names let alone player names!

It's on BT Sport 2 or Bein Sport 13.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Very comfortable for the Strikers in the end. Perth had a good couple of overs then got bogged down and never recovered, with some silly shots.

Alex Hales isn't messing about for the Thunder, 71 off 28 so far. Stars getting a fair bit of tap!

And gone.

Watched the tail end of the Renegades Sixers game. Poor Sutherland's bowling just collapsed last two overs, bowled a no ball wide that was so wide it would almost have hit the stumps on the next pitch. Sixers win another tight one.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

See Holder got the MoM. After Pooran's performance the other day the Windies are starting to look a cracking white ball team. Hopefully more of it translates into the red ball game as hopefully they can start moving back up the test rankings

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Haven't been watching just keeping an eye on the scorecards. Seems like the English players are only starting to perform now. I was looking forward to Jonny Bairstow at the Stars. Would have been fun him and Stoinis opening together.

What do you make of the new changes introduced? Foolish gimmicks or something you'd like to see used everywhere.

• Advertisement

Beasty wrote: »
    See Holder got the MoM. After Pooran's performance the other day the Windies are starting to look a cracking white ball team. Hopefully more of it translates into the red ball game as hopefully they can start moving back up the test rankings

Holder learnt that at Northants! (May not be true). Finished the game well but the bowling was abysmal from Sutherland, his head went completely.

Agree it would be good to see Windies there or thereabouts again in test cricket.
    Gillespy wrote: »
    Haven't been watching just keeping an eye on the scorecards. Seems like the English players are only starting to perform now. I was looking forward to Jonny Bairstow at the Stars. Would have been fun him and Stoinis opening together.

What do you make of the new changes introduced? Foolish gimmicks or something you'd like to see used everywhere.

Most English players only playing their first games after quarantine. Livingstone yesterday (or day before, lose track of time!) and Billings today.

Don't mind the split powerplay idea, or powersurge (lol). Yet another thing to help the batsmen, but the substitute idea is very meh.

Both ideas infinitely better than the poxy Hundred the ECB are determined to foist on us.

WI squad announced for Bangladesh has none of these guys in it. Not even Holder. Shows their priorities. Put up a terrible show in NZ. Miles off in test cricket when they're not facing England.

Will Jacks has had a poor BBL. Very impressive for Surrey last few years. A lot of people see him as a replacement for Moeen Ali.

You mentioned Lara being poorly prepared. But what about Andy Maher? The thickest Australian accent I've every heard. Hard on the ears when he's on.

Peak BBL, on the field and in the commentary box, was when it was Ponting, Gilchrist, Fleming and Junior sharing every game.

You mentioned Lara being poorly prepared. But what about Andy Maher? The thickest Australian accent I've every heard. Hard on the ears when he's on.

Peak BBL, on the field and in the commentary box, was when it was Ponting, Gilchrist, Fleming and Junior sharing every game.

Lara is growing on me a bit, improved with a bit of cajoling from his co commentators. Think I'm immune to Maher's Australian-ness.

Mujeeb has a fivefor for the Heat, Hurricanes never got going and look way under par.

Heat making a balls of the chase so far 8 for 3.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Turning into a cracking match - 15 required off 2 with 3 wickets left

Beasty wrote: »
    Turning into a cracking match - 15 required off 2 with 3 wickets left

Need 7 from 6 now, so should get home.

Need 7 from 6 now, so should get home.

Or not hehehe. Fantastic win for the Hurricanes from that position, defended a sub par total extremely well.

I was surprised how quickly they called bat in the air for that runout on the last ball. TV only showed one wide angle. Maybe the TV umpire had more angles plus close-ups than we saw at the time.

For anyone not seeing it, Brisbane needed 2 off the last ball to win, 1 for a super over, but there was a run out without a run being completed.

So close to getting a superover. The third umpire looked to rush the decision going by the replay we got but I saw later he had access to better angles. Clearly the bat was in the air.

Hobart look a tidy side. Malan and Short could take them all the way if they start firing.

Didn't see the game but by the scores it looked like the Scorchers breezed the run chase today against the Strikers. Chased it down in the 17th over.

Maxwell and Pooan looked like they was going to make the Stars run chase a cake walk, got out and they've collapsed. Hurricanes finishing the tail off pretty easily. (Love seeing the Stars fail!)

Sixers v Heat next. Heat batting first (I think)

Edit: Nope, Sixers batting first.

How on earth did the Renegades let the Strikers score 171. They were all over them for 15 overs, didn't see Adelaide getting beyond 140 at that point.

Poor old Renegades, you can see why they're bottom of the table.

Boring game this morning. Sixers were never in it, hammered.

• Advertisement

Renegades finally got over the line. Strikers pretty sloppy in the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I'm watching the games (what else is there to do :pac: ) but can't say I'm riveted by it. Its going on far too long and the grounds are far too big. Haven't seen that many good games either.

I'm watching the games (what else is there to do :pac: ) but can't say I'm riveted by it. Its going on far too long and the grounds are far too big. Haven't seen that many good games either.

Tournament definitely on the long side, and there haven't been too many close games admittedly but I'm still enjoying it. Good background noise if nothing else.

Heat look at least 20 runs short today, tail didn't wag at all, unless pitch is trickier than it looks I'd expect the Sixers to chase it down.

Edit: Sixers not really got going in the chase yet. 54 for 4 after 9

Edit edit: Well that was a close game, Dan Christian won it for the Sixers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Yes, it was a decent game today. We're coming into the last 5-6 games, so the intensity should increase. 5 out of 8 teams in the play offs is another ridiculous thing.

Good win for the Strikers, beating the Stars. Adelaide will miss Khan now he's off to play for Afghanistan.

Good win for the Strikers, beating the Stars. Adelaide will miss Khan now he's off to play for Afghanistan.

In the reverse fixture Stars battered the Strikers.

Got to say, I'm liking the Big Show's bat

:p

Excellent win for the Hurricanes, chased 177 with 2 overs to spare, brilliant from McDermott.

He threw away a hundred. Malan very soft, reverse sweeping straight to the man. Job done by them at that stage. Will Jakes awful tournament continues, bowled first ball. He's way better than he's shown.

• Advertisement

He threw away a hundred. Malan very soft, reverse sweeping straight to the man. Job done by them at that stage.

Yeah couple of dreadful shots. McDermott needed someone to just go and speak to him after he got dropped having the wild swing just before. Massive let off then tried again. Malan never really looked great despite a decent score and good strike rate. Three defeats in a row for Thunder now.

Advertisement