Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freezing Apartment

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

listermint wrote: »
    But it's not used in most spray foams these days.. did his come from Facebook ?
    Don't remember; wouldnt have been Facebook. Pretty sure it was about SPF and not UFFI. It might or might not have said formaldehyde specifically, but VOCs. I might have inferred formaldehyde from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,548 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

But it's not used in most spray foams these days.. did his come from Facebook ?

Maybe not formaldehyde but there are concerns although beijg studied further on other VOCs from spray-applied polyurethane foam, which would be what some foams are.

https://passivehouseplus.ie/blogs/new-research-raises-spray-foam-health-questions

• Registered Users Posts: 33,530 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Maybe not formaldehyde but there are concerns although beijg studied further on other VOCs from spray-applied polyurethane foam, which would be what some foams are.

https://passivehouseplus.ie/blogs/new-research-raises-spray-foam-health-questions

Arent their VOC's (in abundance) in the paint you put on all your bedroom walls / living rooms / kitchens.

I dont see anyone here not painting their walls. Whats the difference between Low VOC and what sprat foam may give off ?

Still sounds like Facebook stuff. is their concrete studies on this

• Registered Users Posts: 24,548 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Arent their VOC's (in abundance) in the paint you put on all your bedroom walls / living rooms / kitchens.

I dont see anyone here not painting their walls. Whats the difference between Low VOC and what sprat foam may give off ?

The studies are referenced in the link.

The type of impact on health and the extent it impacts on health depend on a number of factors, including level of exposure and length of time exposed.

But yes, there are VOCs in a whole host of materials used in the home. But again, there are degrees of potential impact depending on the persistence and level of VOCs.

There's not a whole lot of VOCs in water based paint usually. There can be very high levels in gloss paint. It's usually a bad idea to use lots of gloss paint indoors and the can will usually warm you about this.

There are VOCs in furniture especially in fibreboard. It is in the glue mainly. Mattresses are another major culprit.

There was a John Oliver segment this year looking at a potential link between fire retardants in baby mattresses and SIDS.

Hexavalent chrome is a bigger deal again. That is in most tile cement and also in gloss paint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

CosmicFool wrote: »
    God the apartments in Ireland are ****. There has to be a better way to heat an apartment than ****ty expensive storage heaters.
    Had a look in the attic of out apartment and the insulation is non existent. How did they get a way with it.

Storage heaters are rubbish in my opinion, they are great for offices but are warmest when they are not needed and most heat has gone by 9pm! I find the best way is to wear plenty of layers and warm clothes particularly in older apartments!

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Curious1002

Signing a lease in the summer gave you no chance to know what problems with insulation you will experience in the winter. Therefore it's a good case to terminate your lease with no penalty whatsoever.

1. Free FLAC solicitor (by appointments only) will be able to advise on particular steps.
    2. Keep a record of your correspondence with the landlord.
    3. If you already contacted the management company - keep a record of it too.
    4. Give the LL and the mgt. company only 3 days to respond and request them to visit the house/apt. It's winter - you can't suffer just because they take the time to reply and purposely delay you. Remember that the issue is a cost for them so they will do everything to delay the resolution. They will act quicker if they realise that you mean business.
    5. Contact RTB and Threshold and tell them about the issue. They will have a log of your call/email and will advise on the procedures.
    6. Finally, if approved by RTB, give your landlord a 2-week notice for refusing to act on emergency and let him know that you are in touch and guided by RTB.
    7. Log an official dispute with RTB re: "Breach of Landlord obligations" and "Deposit retention", if applicable.
    8. Keep a copy of all the bills re: extra heating and add to the RTB dispute. Electric Ireland (on request) will provide you with their estimation per year/month while you will show how much in fact you paid. If it's a significant difference, it will be taken into consideration for a cost return. If you log an official dispute while still living there, go ahead and use all the heating equipment you can/have - you have a strong case to guarantee the return of the cost as long as you can show a history of the problem, reports to LL and the lack of action.

Good Luck!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Signing a lease in the summer gave you no chance to know what problems with insulation you will experience in the winter. Therefore it's a good case to terminate your lease with no penalty whatsoever.

1. Free FLAC solicitor (by appointments only) will be able to advise on particular steps.
    4. Give the LL and the mgt. company only 3 days to respond and request them to visit the house/apt. It's winter - you can't suffer just because they take the time to reply and purposely delay you. Remember that the issue is a cost for them so they will do everything to delay the resolution. They will act quicker if they realise that you mean business.
    5. Contact RTB and Threshold and tell them about the issue. They will have a log of your call/email and will advise on the procedures.
    6. Finally, if approved by RTB, give your landlord a 2-week notice for refusing to act on emergency and let him know that you are in touch and guided by RTB.
    7. Log an official dispute with RTB re: "Breach of Landlord obligations" and "Deposit retention", if applicable.
    8. Keep a copy of all the bills re: extra heating and add to the RTB dispute. Electric Ireland (on request) will provide you with their estimation per year/month while you will show how much in fact you paid. If it's a significant difference, it will be taken into consideration for a cost return. If you log an official dispute while still living there, go ahead and use all the heating equipment you can/have - you have a strong case to guarantee the return of the cost as long as you can show a history of the problem, reports to LL and the lack of action.

Good Luck!

I’m sorry, but this post is not real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Curious1002

Any input is valid.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Any input is valid.

Of course, but the input has to have some relevance. What you posted is not what will happen in real life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 AK_47

Good Luck!

I find your answer very helpful. I wish there were more people like you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

AK_47 wrote: »
    I find your answer very helpful. I wish there were more people like you.

People who tell you what you want to hear, irrespective to whether there is any basis in reality for what they've said.

Sounds productive.

SozBbz wrote: »
    People who tell you what you want to hear, irrespective to whether there is any basis in reality for what they've said.

Sounds productive.

But Curious102 suggested to get advice from Flac solicitors, PRTB and Threshold and only then to act on it. That's a good direction to look at. For those who are new to the problem as some people are this is a very useful advice to receive.

Do you think the tenant should just sit and do nothing until his lease expires in the summer so the landlord could get another unsuspecting tenant next year who will experience the same? This way the problem wouldnt be resolved for years yet the landlord would benefit from doing nothing and having a brand new tenant signing up the lease the time when nobody can detect the problem.

But Curious102 suggested to get advice from Flac solicitors, PRTB and Threshold and only then to act on it. That's a good direction to look at. For those who are new to the problem as some people are this is a very useful advice to receive.

Do you think the tenant should just sit and do nothing until his lease expires in the summer so the landlord could get another unsuspected tenant next year who will experience the same? This way the problem wouldnt be resolved for years yet the landlord would benefit on doing nothing and having a brand new tenant signing up the lease the time when nobody can detect the problem.

Its raising hopes that any of that would actually be useful.

The tenant knew the apartment was cheap and the BER would have been advertised when the apartment was listed. The OP did not answer about the BER despite being asked in the thread numerous times.

Whats actually more helpful is that the OP has actually talked to his LL first before going around taking all sorts of advice from already over subscribed services.

The best advise is always to try to talk to your LL. If that fails, then look again but its just common sense.

SozBbz wrote: »
    Its raising hopes that any of that would actually be useful.

The tenant knew the apartment was cheap and the BER would have been advertised when the apartment was listed. The OP did not answer about the BER despite being asked in the thread numerous times.

Whats actually more helpful is that the OP has actually talked to his LL first before going around taking all sorts of advice from already over subscribed services.

The best advise is always to try to talk to your LL. If that fails, then look again but its just common sense.

Well, let's be clear about a few things. Imagine that a lot of people, myself including, dont know what BER is. I really don't. I dont own a house or an apartment but I rent a room and nobody has ever told me anything abut BER. When I look at Daft I select the area and the price, then I look at the pictures and if I like a room or an apartment then I send an email asking for a viewing. That's how 75% of people do, I dare to say. You may be knowledgeable but a lot, a LOT, of people are not.

I am new but I already see that negative answers on this forum are placed by landlords who try to discourage tenants from trying to seek help. Those who provide advice or at least show good directions are ridiculed. People ask genuine questions here and each case is individual. If there are previous posts related to the same problem then there may be some aspects that are different and any user can open a new post. The tenant has already confirmed that he indeed talked to the landlord who told him to contact his management company. It's not only me who sees that the tenant is being taken for a fool by the landlord.

Ps. What does "OP" stand for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Well, let's be clear about a few things. Imagine that a lot of people, myself including, dont know what BER is. I really don't. I dont own a house or an apartment but I rent a room and nobody has ever told me anything abut BER. When I look at Daft I select the area and the price, then I look at the pictures and if I like a room or an apartment then I send an email asking for a viewing. That's how 75% of people do, I dare to say. You may be knowledgeable but a lot, a LOT, of people are not.

I am new but I already see that negative answers on this forum are placed by landlords who try to discourage tenants from trying to seek help. Those who provide advice or at least show good directions are ridiculed. People ask genuine questions here and each case is individual. If there are previous posts related to the same problem then there may be some aspects that are different and any user can open a new post. The tenant has already confirmed that he indeed talked to the landlord who told him to contact his management company. It's not only me who sees that the tenant is being taken for a fool by the landlord.

No other advice other than what has already been posted, OP is the person who started the thread (Original Poster?)

No other advice other than what has already been posted, OP is the person who started the thread (Original Poster?)

Thank you.

You not knowing stuff is not a sufficient reason to suggest that people ought to go down the legal route straight away. Especially when the LL hasnt actually done anything legally wrong. The LLs responsibilities are clearly laid out in law and available for anyone to view on citizens information. Also, if you read the thread, the OP already stated that this apartment is cheap for the area and he's otherwise got a good deal.

It is everyone responsibility as a grown adult entering into a business relationship (which taking out a lease is) to know what they're doing. BER ratings are an indication of energy efficiency and are part of ads for sales/lettings. If you've gone and rented places and paid no heed to this information, thats up to you.

I already advised the OP that the MC will not entertain him. His dispute is with his LL but it appears if you read his most recent post, that actually talking to her is whats gotten him furthest. If I got something like this (legal letter or something from threshold) from a tenant without them first actually trying to talk to me to resolve difficulties amicably, they'd be on my sh1t list to get rid of because I'd consider them hysterical/troublemakers. Obviously some tenants need help with bad landlords, but jumping straight to FLAC/threshold is never going to end well and will only get your LL's back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,345 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

You are under a lot of preconceived ideas that really aren't relevant. Choosing not to find out what BER means doesn't matter it is what is legally required. That is the information the potential tenant has and their lack of knowledge is their own issue.

What you are perceiving as "negativity" from landlords is generally people with years of experience and in many cases decades. They have dealt with changing laws, regulations and many many more tenants than you ever had landlords.

The post you credited as being good is actually completely unrealistic and has no place in the real world. The first point is any lawyer will say were you given a BER rating, if that answer is yes then there is no case.

The tenant has no valid reason to break the lease.

They are not in a emergency situation.

See every part of what they said falls apart at every point on their own and also dependent on the point before it.

The OP went out of their way to make the property cold when the landlord arrived. If that was me I would have asked how long the heating was on for. Lots of houses take a while to heat up and there is no obligation to make it be more efficient. Most importantly the rent and information is an offer and the OP took that offer. Now they are unhappy but buyer beware is always the case.

Been reading up about formaldehyde in wood panels. It’s difficult to source composite products with no added formaldehyde, but any with e1 certification should be fine. Any with a CE mark will have been given a certification, where e1 is the best. You might need to look at the technical data sheet or safety data sheet to see what the certification is.

• Advertisement

Been reading up about formaldehyde in wood panels. It’s difficult to source composite products with no added formaldehyde, but any with e1 certification should be fine. Any with a CE mark will have been given a certification, where e1 is the best. You might need to look at the technical data sheet or safety data sheet to see what the certification is.
    The smartply osb sold in b&q is e1 certified. I bought some to use as loftboards. Will try them with the diall stilts they also sell there. Much cheaper to get the very large panels and use the free cutting service than to buy the smaller panels - about 30 euro compared to about 50 for 16mm panels the equivalent area of about 6 regular sized loftboards. 16mm is light enough and will take my weight easily (about 90-95kg).

Public consultation on how to encourage improved insulation in rental properties:

https://www.thejournal.ie/public-consultation-rented-accommodation-energy-efficiency-4919873-Dec2019/

Advertisement