Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

16-10-2019, 03:39   #1
VirginiaB

Actress Melissa McCarthy Irish ancestors question

The US TV show Finding Your Ancestors tonight featured actress Melissa McCarthy. Many were Irish, no surprise. The name was Carty and her immigrant ancestors were in Scotland for a generation or two. The name was changed (back?) to McCarthy in the US.

The show quickly showed a map of the Irish 'midlands' where many of her ancestors originated. They just as quickly mentioned just two surnames. One was Herrick. Then they went on to another subject.

Does anyone know any more details about MM's Irish ancestors? I can't find anything online. I have Herrick ancestors from Offaly and naturally I'm curious to see if there is a connection. It's not a common name in Ireland.

Thanks for any help.
Advertisement
16-10-2019, 12:01   #2
spurious
Category Moderator

I didn't see the show but John Grenham's site says there were two Herrick and McCarthy households in Birr parish 1854. Others down Cork direction.
Thanks from:
16-10-2019, 12:51   #3
VirginiaB

Thanks, Spurious. I do know a lot about my Herricks in Eglish and Drumcullen parish and some about the other Irish Herricks. Just trying to figure out where Melissa McCarthy fits in and if she is one of 'mine'.
16-10-2019, 17:10   #4
Thomas from Presence

Good breakdown of the info here: https://www.megansmolenyak.com/5-thi...s-family-tree/

Looks like they are Longford Cartys. Mine are from James's Street. Happy to be related to Melissa, less so to her cousin Jenny.
16-10-2019, 17:26   #5
VirginiaB

I had seen that in my searching but thanks for the reply. No mention of her Herrick ancestors tho. The map that was so quickly shown on the tv show indicated a number of ancestral places/names in the Irish midlands.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion