Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Its to be 26 degrees in New York city tomorrow ! it has been 20s the past week. Even Buffalo in up state new york is to hit 22 degrees tomorrow. That must be a near record in NY in November. I have been in New york city in the winter twice and both times got plastered with snow and it was constantly between 0 and -10 degrees.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

every time I look at the charts they just keep getting milder, latest GFS is very, very mild indeed right up to the end of the month with +12 uppers from around the 17th of November, we appear to be absolutely locked into an extended period of mild weather which at this time of the year can be as difficult to shift as a cool, unsettled setup at the start of summer. I don't think we will even see a frost this month if charts verify over the next 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

A very bleak post from M.T. Cranium over on Netweather. I have included spoilers for that reason.

"Broad similarity to Nov 2015 at this point with record warmth across North America, fast flow across the Atlantic, rising temperatures in early to mid Nov western Europe. This could go on for 6-10 weeks and push any winter hopes back into Feb/Mar. "

How can it literally be warm everywhere, America, Canada, UK, Europe, scandinavia. how can nowhere be cold in November?? so bizarre

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

A very bleak post from M.T. Cranium over on Netweather. I have included spoilers for that reason.

"Broad similarity to Nov 2015 at this point with record warmth across North America, fast flow across the Atlantic, rising temperatures in early to mid Nov western Europe. This could go on for 6-10 weeks and push any winter hopes back into Feb/Mar. "

:(:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭pauldry

How can it literally be warm everywhere, America, Canada, UK, Europe, scandinavia. how can nowhere be cold in November?? so bizarre

Climate change. Meh mild isnt even unusual now in November. Sure it will be 15 or 16c a couple of times too in December...probably at midnight!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I must say that all the "background signals" look pretty grim for this winter but then again some of them sent us down the wrong path in some recent years when they were looking good or ok :rolleyes:

Been such a boring period for weather since the 2018 heatwave broke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Artane2002

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I must say that all the "background signals" look pretty grim for this winter but then again some of them sent us down the wrong path in some recent years when they were looking good or ok :rolleyes:

it's been incredibly boring since October 2018 bar spring this year. last winter marked the point that i lost interest in Irish weather. i expect this winter to be yet another "worst winter" ever for the third year in a row and the 5th time in the last six years. maybe if we all wish for mild weather then we'll get proper winter weather

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Its to be 26 degrees in New York city tomorrow ! it has been 20s the past week. Even Buffalo in up state new york is to hit 22 degrees tomorrow. That must be a near record in NY in November. I have been in New york city in the winter twice and both times got plastered with snow and it was constantly between 0 and -10 degrees.

I'd love a climate like that where it's pleasant right up to November then a short but sharp and interesting winter then back to warmth in the spring.

The constant 12C +/- a few degrees year round definitely does make it hard to sustain an interest in weather in this country

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Winter 2018/2019 ..... we seem to go through record breaking mild and then a taste of summer in February 2019.

Winter 2019/2020..... the polar vortex of doom and relentless mild and records broken again for mild.

Winter 2020/2021

sure it couldn't happen again could it! You bet it can! Current charts/projections are every bit as grim as they were last winter, here we go again.

Hopefully all isn't lost but I think it's fair to say we won't be seeing much if any snow between now and Christmas so maybe the new year will hopefully change for the better.

I mean we are years and years overdue a cold December or January with decent snowy potential, it has to happen again at some stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

It seems to be following the pattern from 2010 onward.

After the 2010 snow we then had 3 or 4 mild Winters in a row then it stabilised and we had more frosty days.

The last Winters were mild and the outlook for this Winter is the same. It will be probably be next Winter or the Winter after before we see anything significant.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Lucreto wrote: »
    It seems to be following the pattern from 2010 onward.

After the 2010 snow we then had 3 or 4 mild Winters in a row then it stabilised and we had more frosty days.

The last Winters were mild and the outlook for this Winter is the same. It will be probably be next Winter or the Winter after before we see anything significant.

Is winter the Liverpool of the seasons? Next year is our year. Only 30 years until the next good winter so. And I’m a pool fan :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Of course these background signals will more than likely be right when they are showing a blowtorch winter overall!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭compsys

I don't quite understand all the negativity.

Technically it's still autumn. It's far too early in the season for snow so any cold we get now would just be wasted and would just lead to higher heating bills.

If we keep getting this milder weather come mid-December into mid-February I could understand the complaints - but what use is cold weather in Ireland in November?

What does vex me though is how it's so easy for temps to be regularly 4 or 5 degrees above average in late autumn and winter whereas during summer even cracking 20º seems to be beyond us...

compsys wrote: »

What does vex me though is how it's so easy for temps to be regularly 4 or 5 degrees above average in late autumn and winter whereas during summer even cracking 20º seems to be beyond us...

we had problems cracking 17C throughout most of Summer 2020 particularly in July and August!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

Gonzo wrote: »
    we had problems cracking 17C throughout most of Summer 2020 particularly in July and August!
    only in ireland is winter almost warmer than summer :rolleyes:

Ok everyone cool the jets, it’s impossible to forecast a week ahead and we are still in Autumn. There will be snow in December, just have that feeling. Happy for the mild muck to be with us now, would rather the cold in December and January

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Ok everyone cool the jets, it’s impossible to forecast a week ahead and we are still in Autumn. There will be snow in December, just have that feeling. Happy for the mild muck to be with us now, would rather the cold in December and January

Yippee!!

Hahahaha. When the little icon lit up and I saw it was this thread, before opening your post I thought :

"for a laugh I'm going to suggest that no one else can post, unless they are guaranteeing snow".

or praying for it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

You have a feeling? I’d a feeling I was going to win the lotto last Saturday. I didn’t...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

Meh, are we surprised, or rather, why are we surprised? 2010 was a once in a lifetime event I think. We don’t get snow in December, it’s into Feb/ March if we get any at all. Mild, mucky, yucky weather is what we have every year in Nov and a few storms in December in previous years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

7-ED0-BB41-E48-C-4477-882-E-19-E9-E70-A640-E.jpg

Last Christmas seemed to be very dry and mild but I was very ill so not sure was I hallucinating or did that really happen.

Not sure did we have any snow last Winter at all because in late February and March Covid came to town and then it seemed to be sunny in the Northwest for yonks

pauldry wrote: »
    Last Christmas seemed to be very dry and mild but I was very ill so not sure was I hallucinating or did that really happen.

Not sure did we have any snow last Winter at all because in late February and March Covid came to town and then it seemed to be sunny in the Northwest for yonks

February and March brought some flurries. now that i think about it, i think we had a fairly decent northwesterly either in January or February that brought quite a few snow showers for us in Dublin, we usually stay dry in northwesterlies. i remember it being very cold too but I'm pretty sure it was a one day affair.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Artane2002 wrote: »
    February and March brought some flurries. now that i think about it, i think we had a fairly decent northwesterly either in January or February that brought quite a few snow showers for us in Dublin, we usually stay dry in northwesterlies. i remember it being very cold too but I'm pretty sure it was a one day affair.

End of January start of February brought plenty of snow showers to the east.
    Again the end of February first week of March another blast of snow showers.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Just silly. Firstly this is the Winter season not Autumn. And the same lads who are forecasting Winter every year haven't missed a beat they're spot on every year. There won't be snow in December, we'd be lucky if the temps drop below double figures let alone drop below 0.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Northwest had some snow showers and a dusting on 27 January whilst we got some flurries on 10 February during Storm Ciara which did settle somewhat initially but melted not long after. The 11th had a lot of snow falling but none of it settled, ground was saturated. We did have a couple of other days with snow falling too like 29 February but never settling for me with the exception of overnight into 12 March.
    it's been incredibly boring since October 2018 bar spring this year. last winter marked the point that i lost interest in Irish weather. i expect this winter to be yet another "worst winter" ever for the third year in a row and the 5th time in the last six years. maybe if we all wish for mild weather then we'll get proper winter weather

I'm the same, a Dec 2018/Jan 2019 would probably be the last straw for me.

Maybe if it rains like today we will have a floody Winter to keep us interested

• Registered Users Posts: 17 RedSteve

I’m not sure if this is exactly the place to ask...
    but Carrot Weather on iOS has several different sources for their weather forecast. Is there any consensus here on which source is best for Ireland?
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Yes,the last 2 yrs has been killing my interest in the weather too. Really has been a boring 2 yrs. If ever there was a day that sums up my feelings about it , it was a day like today, mild, dull muck and the current weather pattern we are in. Completely uninteresting.

• Advertisement

Northwest had some snow showers and a dusting on 27 January whilst we got some flurries on 10 February during Storm Ciara which did settle somewhat initially but melted not long after. The 11th had a lot of snow falling but none of it settled, ground was saturated. We did have a couple of other days with snow falling too like 29 February but never settling for me with the exception of overnight into 12 March.

I'm the same, a Dec 2018/Jan 2019 would probably be the last straw for me.

I don't remember seeing any settling snow last winter but you know your stuff so I'll take your word for it. interesting that we had settling snow on the 12th of March, March is becoming reliable for settling snow! 12 March 2020, 2 March 2019, numerous days in March 2018, 4th March 2016 all come to mind. October and March seem to be our winter months now, October 2018/19/20 all brought some cold weather. winter resumes in just under 4 months then ;)

Advertisement