Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Is this why the customer deals with Ace? I would imagine in the event of any issue, it's the customer that has 'imported' the coal. The coal merchant has not had any involvement with delivery.

Don't think it works like that? If for example you buy stuff from Amazon.co.uk then they charge the relevant Irish VAT rate and not the UK rate so at the checkout the price goes up. I think anyone selling more than €35k worth of goods in Ireland needs to register and pay VAT here no matter what carrier is bringing it in?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

my3cents wrote: »
    Don't think it works like that? If for example you buy stuff from Amazon.co.uk then they charge the relevant Irish VAT rate and not the UK rate so at the checkout the price goes up. I think anyone selling more than €35k worth of goods in Ireland needs to register and pay VAT here no matter what carrier is bringing it in?
    Amazon are delivering to you - these guys are not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

meathman0 wrote: »
    Check their Facebook page, something on it about orders ordered now may not be delivered till 5th Jan, might be worth calling them tomorrow to check.

I ordered a pallet of 8 euro champion polish coal yesterday and got it today.

Good stuff too, delighted with it.

In Limerick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Amazon are delivering to you - these guys are not.

You mean a guy from Amazon calls out to my house?

my3cents wrote: »
    You mean a guy from Amazon calls out to my house?
    LOL. Expressed in the rhetorical :D

I mean when you order off amazon, they ask you to input a delivery address. When you do so, are you not contracting amazon to supply the item and deliver it to you in Ireland? So despite the rhetorical question, in effect, yes - the postman (or courier) is acting for amazon.

In the case of these guys, the customer contacts the courier of their own accord. If there are any questions for the merchant, then I'd imagine their answer is we sold coal on the basis of collection from premises in N.I.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

Does anyone know the story with the Coal Warehouse outlet in Clontibret. Can you collect from there?
    yip can pick up from clontibret

Have a small (stanley oisin) stove. What should I be ordering off them for stove use?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Exactly and this is how they all avoid paying the carbon tax and vat.

Here is quote from Revenue website :

Doesn't cover this case though, as the law refers to consumers physically bringing the fuel into the country themselves. It's the same for booze.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

sgarvan wrote: »
    Cheers. Want it delivered next Monday. Was going to place order on Thursday. Will wait until Friday so.

Thursday latest for pre Christmas orders otherwise delivery might only be January 5th

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭beaver111

physioman wrote: »
    yip can pick up from clontibret

Will it be the same prices

• Advertisement

Have a small (stanley oisin) stove. What should I be ordering off them for stove use?

8 euro polish coal is what they recommend for stoves.

I have the slightly bigger Erin Stove and put in a bucket today, good heat from it.

Doesn't cover this case though, as the law refers to consumers physically bringing the fuel into the country themselves. It's the same for booze.

Can we all just enjoy the cheap coal for christmas and leave politics out of it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭meathman0

thierry14 wrote: »

I have the slightly bigger Erin Stove and put in a bucket today, good heat from it.

So if your paying €15 a bag Polish coal in the south you can't use it in the stove:)

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭mikehn

Can anyone let me know how many bags make up a pallet,also what size are the bags. I am buying the 40kg bags locally and just need to work out the savings to convince "she who must be obeyed" that I'm not mad to be thinking of doing this.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Inspector Dhar

25 x 40 kg bags to a pallet.

1 Tonne - 25 x 40kgs per pallet

Is the premium coal burning well ?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭creambun

The premium is burning brightly in my stove, very happy for the price.

creambun wrote: »

Yeah I find it good as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Focusdpc

I ordered some champion and some slack today, looking forward to getting it :)

Can I ask a question to you guys who are using coal in their range, how many hours would you get before you would have to refuel if you loaded it up? I'm new to solid fuel/range and right now I'm using turf, timber(hardwood) and little bit of coal, but seems I'm refueling every 90minutes or so and it's down to nothing at that stage.
    I'm hoping that by using more coal it will give me a few hours before I have to refuel the range!

• Advertisement

Yeah I find it good as well.

Are they large lumps of coal ?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭creambun

They are big and small lumps, i though there would be more ash this morning as there was with the superblend but no i am still happy with purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭beaver111

Is the coal the same price in clontibert as in Tyrone warehouse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

beaver111 wrote: »

Give them a call and see

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

beaver111 wrote: »

According to their Donedeal advert, its a good bit dearer there:(.

http://www.donedeal.ie/heating-for-sale/evans-coal-warehouse-clontibret-monaghan/8203222

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Midlandsman80

Do ye find that the glass in the stove gets very dirty with the €8 polish coal? (other than smokeless stuff)
    Can anyone comment on how the other coal purchased from this crowd is performing in the stove from a cleanliness side?
    It would not be a deal breaker just wondering...

I used Staffords stove coal a few times and found it very hard to burn it all out, would often be left with a lot of hard nuggets the next day, anyone experience anything like this with this coal?

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭meathman0

They are big and small lumps, i though there would be more ash this morning as there was with the superblend but no i am still happy with purchase.

Post a picture of it burning, :-)

My concern is heat output in an open fire tbh (with the premium stuff)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

vicwatson wrote: »
    My concern is heat output in an open fire tbh (with the premium stuff)

If you're concerned with heat output an open fire is madness 75% is going up the chimney. You can get a decent second hand stove for about €200 now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭September1

ACE driver told me that it is too heavy to unload it and refused to come :-(

Advertisement