Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vintage Telephone Assisstance

• 01-09-2014 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi, I'm pretty sure this is the right place to ask this question so here goes.

Would anyone on here know of any charity shop or antique shop in Dublin where I could find a vintage rotary telephone. It does not need to be functional as it will simply be used as a stage prop for our college drama society.

I'm not sure how to post a picture of what I'm looking for so I'll describe it. The phone I'm looking for is one of those old rotary dial telephones. One where you select the number and spin it around to dial. Think of the phone commissioner Gordon uses to call Batman in the 1960s tv series.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,198 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

A few of them on adverts.ie in Dublin too.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭f100zardoz

Anyone any advice or contacts for connecting a vintage phone? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 21,969 ✭✭✭✭Esel

My approach would be:

Cut the connector off one end of a modern cable. There will be four wires. Strip these back about an inch.

Open the phone, see where the old lead wires are connected. Trial and error then to find out which two wires to connect.

If there are four wires in the old lead, try to connect all four new wires.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

f100zardoz wrote: »
    Anyone any advice or contacts for connecting a vintage phone? Thanks

Notwithstanding the advice from poster Esel above.....

A phone with a rotary dial sends a 'pulse' dial down the line, essentially a series of clicks corresponding to the numbers dialled. The early digital exchanges could handle these as part of the transition from analogue this but I'm pretty sure that they do not any more.

Tone (DTMF) dialling is the only way to send the number down the line these days. So your unit is probably now obsolete.

It may depend on your phone supplier, are you connected to Eircom or Vodafone or a cable TV supplier?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Weirdly I think Eircom actually still support pulse dialling. Phones are convertable anyway, there are piles of pulse to DTMF convertors other than that one too.

• Advertisement

Well when this arrives from Ukraine I'll see what happens 🙂

Oh and yeah. I have an Eircom line

Old Russian phone arrived. See pics. 3 wires all the same colour. I've cut a land line and connected in different configurations but no joy. Those anyone know some one who would be able to connect this to an Eircom land line?

Advertisement