Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Confused

• 18-01-2011 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭

I watched the weather after the 6 1 news and she kept saying it will be cool for the time of year! What else does she expect in January 30C, I think she's the worst weather presenter bar none, she gives hardly any info and any she does is useless.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Who's "she" (I didn't see it)? Cold for the time of year would mean temperatures below average, the same as warm for the time of year in July means temperatures above average.

December was cold for that time of the year, I think you'll agree?!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,059 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Siobhan Ryan did the forecast's this evening.She didnt seem to give much "info" as theres not much happening,High Pressure slap bang over the country-Frosty nights,cool days with a mix of cloud/sunny spells and not much in the way of wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

200motels wrote: »
    I watched the weather after the 6 1 news and she kept saying it will be cool for the time of year! What else does she expect in January 30C, I think she's the worst weather presenter bar none, she gives hardly any info and any she does is useless.

Eh.. maybe she meant it will be cool for the time of year?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

Su Campu wrote: »
    Who's "she" (I didn't see it)? Cold for the time of year would mean temperatures below average, the same as warm for the time of year in July means temperatures above average.

December was cold for that time of the year, I think you'll agree?!
    I should have said her name Siobhan Ryan, she never said below average just cool for the time of year which is total rubbish, if she had said below average it would have been the correct thing to say, she's just not up to presenting the weather and I'm going to write to RTE to share my views, we need better people presenting the weather. I know she's new and is trying her best but she's simply not good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

lol I know where you are coming from, It was a funny expression indeed, of course she is perfectly accurate if you are talking about tempertaures below average, but January is usually our coldest month so to say its cold for this time of the year makes it sound a bit off. (As if its a month where we shouldnt see cold weather)

• Advertisement

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    Eh.. maybe she meant it will be cool for the time of year?:confused:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

I think you're being overly critical. Maybe even prejudiced.

IMO, the existance of this thread is a symptom of the lack of dramatic weather we're experiencing at the moment.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Lol, is this a wind up? 'cool/warm for the time of year' is commonly used by ALL weather presenters on ALL channels. What the hell is the problem?

If this isn't a wind up I don't know what to say. You're a very lucky man/women if a tv presenter being under-technical is the worst of your problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

I watched the weather after the 6 1 news and she kept saying it will be cool for the time of year!

Its -3 here at the moment, and i did not see that forecast. If she was referring to the temperatures tonight, then she is correct. It is colder than an average January night.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    Lol, is this a wind up? 'cool/warm for the time of year' is commonly used by ALL weather presenters on ALL channels. What the hell is the problem?

If this isn't a wind up I don't know what to say. You're a very lucky man/women if a tv presenter being under-technical is the worst of your problems.

Beasterly I think you are not seeing it from another point of view, the expression 'its cold for this time of year' is a bit off when its said in Mid January. i.e. its cold for any time of the year if thats the case because this is the coldest time of the year anyways :D It would have made sense it was said in another season. P.S. I do agree that theres no need for a thread on this. Pure nonsense. This is going through someones forecast with a fine toothcomb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

She said by the weekend there would be more cloud around and temperatures would be a bit higher but still cool for the time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

It is a bit cold for time of year, especially at night, but with the lack of wind and sunshine, people can also get out mid-day and enjoy some reasonably mild conditions then. (am I right? it's not like I'm actually there :cool: )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

It is a bit cold for time of year, especially at night, but with the lack of wind and sunshine, people can also get out mid-day and enjoy some reasonably mild conditions then. (am I right? it's not like I'm actually there :cool: )

Agree with you M.T, -5 here this morning expect temp to reach the dizzy heights of 4 to 5c today, but when you are standing in the sun you would think it's late March or April.:cool:

Ok maybe I'm so bored with the weather and I'm nit picking, anyway mods end this tread if you think it's irrelevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

The average temperature for Ojmjakon for this time of the year is -46.0°C. If it gets a few days of -30°C, you could say it was mild for this time of the year. The same way as its record of -71°C in January 1926 was cold for that time of the year - even for there. You can use the term for any time, cool is a relative term.

There was nothing wrong with what she said IMO and she has improved a lot since she started.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Did she also say "In the mix" "from the get go" and "across the board" :D

I thought she was fine to begin with but now she's more like a air hostess giving us the safety routine with all those hand movements :pac:

I'm sure she knows her stuff anyway just hasn't got comfortable in front of the camera yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

greysides wrote: »
    I think you're being overly critical. Maybe even prejudiced..

Ya, there'd be noting said if St. Jean had delivered the forecast :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

gbee wrote: »
    Ya, there'd be noting said if St. Jean had delivered the forecast :rolleyes:

Did Jean turn you down at some point?

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

I should have said her name Siobhan Ryan, she never said below average just cool for the time of year which is total rubbish, if she had said below average it would have been the correct thing to say, she's just not up to presenting the weather and I'm going to write to RTE to share my views, we need better people presenting the weather. I know she's new and is trying her best but she's simply not good enough.

Could not disagree with you more. Siobhan only commenced her weather forecasts a few months back and for someone new to the game, she is doing really well.

I would also like to add that during the third big freeze of 2010 (the days before Christmas), Siobhan was on the Six One News with Sharon Ni Bheolain and gave an excellent summary of the snow that was to hit Dublin the following days (Tuesday 21st December & Thursday 23rd December). She certainly did a better job on Six One than her colleague Gerry Murphy has ever done (he always reminds me of a dummy in the window of Brown Thomas) :D

Siobhan will improve even more with time, mark my words. Give the girl a chance ! :)

derekon wrote: »
    Could not disagree with you more. Siobhan only commenced her weather forecasts a few months back and for someone new to the game, she is doing really well.

I would also like to add that during the third big freeze of 2010 (the days before Christmas), Siobhan was on the Six One News with Sharon Ni Bheolain and gave an excellent summary of the snow that was to hit Dublin the following days (Tuesday 21st December & Thursday 23rd December). She certainly did a better job on Six One than her colleague Gerry Murphy has ever done (he always reminds me of a dummy in the window of Brown Thomas) :D

Siobhan will improve even more with time, mark my words. Give the girl a chance ! :)
    Well I beg to differ, I'd rather that clown on TV3 to her she's awfull.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭jprboy

Interesting to see that this is not the first thread the OP started which is critical of Siobhan Ryan. See here started on 16.09.10:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056034472

Bit of flip flopping going on too. OP posted in the above thread on 06.10.10 that:

"I started this thread and I have to hold my hands up and say she's not useless but very good and getting better all the time"

OP, please post up a video of you presenting a forecast and we'll give an honest appraisal of all of your strengths and weaknesses in front of the camera.

Finally, here today it's cool, nay cold, for the time of year. :D

jprboy wrote: »
    Interesting to see that this is not the first thread the OP started which is critical of Siobhan Ryan. See here started on 16.09.10:

http://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056034472

Bit of flip flopping going on too. OP posted in the above thread on 06.10.10 that:

"I started this thread and I have to hold my hands up and say she's not useless but very good and getting better all the time"

OP, please post up a video of you presenting a forecast and we'll give an honest appraisal of all of your strengths and weaknesses in front of the camera.

Finally, here today it's cool, nay cold, for the time of year. :D
    Yes I posted that and at the time she was getting better but as time has gone on she has got worse, as for me on camera I'm not working in TV so your point is mute. A stupid comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

well round here anyway, there are a few hours from 2pm to 4pm that you could enjoy, but at midday its still below freezing so i wouldn't call it enjoyable!! today is different though, its really really foggy still (I'm near a river) , and the temp is at -2 at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

I should have said her name Siobhan Ryan, she never said below average just cool for the time of year which is total rubbish,

But surely below average would mean cool for the time of year? the same way above average would suggest mild/warm/ for the time of year?

For what it is worth. The average (61-90) maxima over Ireland for mid Janaury is between 6c and 8c inland and between 8c and 10c coastal. Mean minima would be betweeen 0.5c and 2c inland and 2c to 4c coastal. So yep, if temperatures are forecast to be below these values on a daily basis during the period, they would be cool for the time of year (sorry, I mean below average for the time of year... :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭jprboy

Yes I posted that and at the time she was getting better but as time has gone on she has got worse, as for me on camera I'm not working in TV so your point is mute. A stupid comment.

Funny, was half-suspecting such a response but didn't want to overload my post with caveats and conditions...... :rolleyes:

A home recording will do just fine (which is what I meant) and the absence of fancy graphics will not be a problem.

I'm not young or lovely but I am exceedingly tall ...

which is how I can see the weather from so far away.

jprboy wrote: »
    Funny, was half-suspecting such a response but didn't want to overload my post with caveats and conditions...... :rolleyes:

A home recording will do just fine (which is what I meant) and the absence of fancy graphics will not be a problem.
    LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

I'm not young or lovely but I am exceedingly tall ...

which is how I can see the weather from so far away.

nice bush MT:D

I don't have many other friends.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

I don't have many other friends.
    ah you have plenty of Irish friends MT, it's all good! :)

Advertisement