Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Movies

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭tscul32

Pure Christmas escapism. That's what they're for.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭paulmurphyvec

Posy wrote: »
    Some of them are watchable, I don't look at many Hallmark type films, but they usually have gorgeous Christmas scenes, lovely decorations, beautiful snowy landscapes, magical small towns and so on. It makes up for the lack of plot, coherent dialogue, character development etc...

Some of them are terrible, but I also like the Christmas scenes, snowy landscapes and the wonderful Christmas spirit of the movies. Everything always looks so well decorated, no saggy decorations there.

:):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,663 ✭✭✭Worztron

Always takes me back to my childhood. A great film. Underrated.

I recall those super exited Xmas eves watching it. Happy Days! 🎅🎁⛄🌲🦌

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I love those Hallmark Christmas movies. Pure escapism and I end up pausing them a lot to go rant to my husband about the plot holes. The towns always look like Christmas puked on them and everyone is immaculately dressed at all times. Every storyline is exactly the same too so no surprises. In fact, if you watch Movies 24 at any time during the year you can watch a seasonally-appropriate Hallmark movie with no snow but exactly the same storyline as the Christmas movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,097 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I love those Hallmark Christmas movies. Pure escapism and I end up pausing them a lot to go rant to my husband about the plot holes. The towns always look like Christmas puked on them and everyone is immaculately dressed at all times. Every storyline is exactly the same too so no surprises. In fact, if you watch Movies 24 at any time during the year you can watch a seasonally-appropriate Hallmark movie with no snow but exactly the same storyline as the Christmas movies.

I genuinely laughed out loud at the puking line! Brilliant.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement

Can confirm Movies 24, now Christmas 24 is on the sky platform, channel 325 and +1 on channel 326
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

I don't have channels, but have Netflix and have enjoyed the wonderful festive cheese it provides. I have yet to see a proper hallmark Christmas movie, does anyone know if there is anywhere legal online I can stream them?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I assume you will be watching the sequel to The Princess Switch at the end of November, so, Eskie? :D

Posy wrote: »
    I assume you will be watching the sequel to The Princess Switch at the end of November, so, Eskie? :D

It's in my notifications :D

Excellent!!

• Advertisement

Haha this pretty much sums it up. I absolutely love them. But I spend a lot of the movie shouting at the tv. Stuff like..

"Oh come on nobody talks like that!!?"

"Running in heels IN THE SNOW?! REALLY???!"

"Oh no if only you had any other career opportunities other than a failing bookstore! Like say underwear model?!? NO ONE WORKING IN A BOOKSHOP LOOKS LIKE THAT!!!"

"Sure he's sweet... If you're into stalker's!"

It's all part of the fun! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,747 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I can appreciate them... with a beverage in hand... though I prefer the murder mysteries.
    I'm still waiting for them to cross the genres and come up with a christmas murder mystery.

But I can't stand the obviously fake snow in what, from the light, appears to be a town in late Summer or early Autumn!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Westeros

Santa Who (2000) - this movie really stands out in my mind as my grandfather recorded it on VHS for me. I still have it somewhere. I never saw or heard much about it but I have some great memories associated with the movie ☺️

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Who%3F

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

a new documentary this time: Dear Santa
    shines a light on the 100-year-old ‘Operation Santa’ Program of the United States Postal Service.
    Each year, hundreds of thousands of letters to Santa arrive at Post Offices around the country. Through Operation Santa, the United States Postal Service makes it possible for the public to safely adopt these letters and make children’s dreams come true.
    Trailer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

.....The towns always look like Christmas puked on them ..........

This is how I want our house to look this year :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I finally watched the nightmare before Christmas and Klaus for the first time today.

Klaus is far superior IMO.

Klaus is great! :)

I've never seen Nightmare Before Christmas, so don't know about that.

Loughc wrote: »
    I finally watched the nightmare before Christmas and Klaus for the first time today.

Klaus is a really beautiful animated film. We watched it last year and even the Scully to my Mulder loved it.

The Nightmare before Christmas is a firm favourite of mine, it combines my two favourite seasons, but I have it on a whole other pedestal to Klaus :)

I love both films.

We watched santa claus the movie tonight, tacky but great too. Love the start of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,436 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I had to choke back a tear or two at the end of Klaus. Wonderful film.

• Advertisement

Loughc wrote: »

Haven't seen either, both on my list for this year.

Really surprised so many in here hadn't seen the nightmare before Christmas, think it came out in 1993!!

Normally its the film that starts our Christmas movies run as we watch it for Halloween, we changed it this year but the kids are going mad to watch it so suspect it'll be on between now and Saturday what with the weather bring so poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

I only watched The Nightmare before Christmas this week for the first time too. My kids really enjoyed it, as did I. IMHO it's a Halloween movie. I know this is up for debate, haha. Nonetheless, it was nice that Christmas was incorporated.

Klaus is a lovely movie.

Love The Nightmare Before Christmas, I remember renting it out with frends as soon as it was available in the video shop (anyone still remember those ?) and having a big night in to watch it.
    Yet to see Klaus as I am not a Netflix-er. Fell in love with the trailer. Hoping some TV Channel will pick it up soon.

New comedy set at Christmas !
    The Loss Adjuster
    Luke Goss stars as a "Hapless Insurance Loss Adjuster" who feels his life is spiraling out of control
    with Joan Collins, Martin Kemp and Kym Marsh

Trailer (usual spoiler alert)

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭PaulT21

otnomart wrote: »
    New comedy set at Christmas !
    The Loss Adjuster
    Luke Goss stars as a "Hapless Insurance Loss Adjuster" who feels his life is spiraling out of control
    with Joan Collins, Martin Kemp and Kym Marsh

Trailer (usual spoiler alert)

Seems more like an 80s pop band revival with that cast with Kym Marsh thrown in for the millennial:D:D

PaulT21 wrote: »
    Seems more like an 80s pop band revival with that cast with Kym Marsh thrown in for the millennial:D:D

Was just about to say, pick the odd one out of that cast (hint- they are not an ex singer!)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,219 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Can’t wait to see this film :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

As long as they haven't gone overboard with it...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Has anyone watched Holidate on Netflix yet? Any use?

Advertisement