Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The vegged up 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

https://www.101cookbooks.com/vegetarian-paella/

I didn't have saffron so I substituted some tumeric instead and a little chili powder because I like a little bit of heat. I didn't have artichoke hearts or asparagus so I used whatever other veg I had. I made the sofrito linked in the article first and took my time with the paella. I got the paella rice in Tesco.

This will be my Christmas dinner 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Don't really want to start a thread so I'll just stick this here.

This cheese is outrageously good. Gave it to a few at work and some said it was actually better than dairy.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭65535

auspicious wrote: »

This cheese is outrageously good. Gave it to a few at work and some said it was actually better than dairy.

I've only found it in Dunnes - it's great

65535 wrote: »
    I've only found it in Dunnes - it's great

That's where I got it. I had a laugh. They were seriously shocked at how good it is. Me too.
    Combine it with Dennys' meat free burgers and you could fool anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭65535

I find it a lot nicer than the Violife.
    The Tesco Applewood and Tesco own brand chili cheeses are nice too.

• Advertisement

What is it made from?

Páid wrote: »
    What is it made from?

Water, Stabiliser (Modified Potato Starches), Coconut Oil (21%), Coconut Cream (8%), Salt, Humectant (Vegetable Glycerine), Calcium Phosphates, Maltodextrin, Colour (Carrot Concentrate), Natural Flavouring, Preservatives (Acetic Acid, Lactic Acid), Yeast Extract, Dextrose, Vitamin D2, Vitamin B12.
    Calcium: 736mg (92% RI*)
    Salt: 2.5g
    Protein: 0.7g
    Fat: 26.3g

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Does it melt?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

That cheese is indeed excellent, perfect texture. A bit coconutty on it's own but perfect in things.

My fave is the smoked applewood sliced cheese, delicious and melts really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

My fave is the smoked applewood sliced cheese, delicious and melts really well.

Same....makes a lovely toasted sandwich....yummy and melty!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

well have a surplus of cabbage and cauliflower at the moment so was looking for cabbage recipes and came across this from rick stein in turkey.
    http://betterbellyburst.blogspot.com/2015/10/turkish-spiced-cabbage-and-minced-lamb.html
    Replace the lamb mince with quorn and absolutely delicious , wizzed up some mushrooms that needed eating for extra flavour. oh and yest flakes.

wizzed a red pepper and chilies that was lying around as well ! as no harrisa in the house

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

w3BxJo7l.jpg

I made a vegan tiramisu.

7YPaxMsl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

^^ y-you can't just tease us like that, man.... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭deaglan1

Texture wise it is lovely. But do you not get the coconut taste coming through?..that brings it down a star and a half for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭deaglan1

w3BxJo7l.jpg

I made a vegan tiramisu.

7YPaxMsl.jpg

Don't send me the recipe, just the cake will do...I want it now:pac:

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    ^^ y-you can't just tease us like that, man.... :D

Haha, have a blast it's very simple:

Ingredients:
    - 1 tub of vegan mascarpone (got in @thecarrotstail ), alternatively 1 block silken tofu
    - 1 lemon
    - 1 tub of elmea double plant cream, alternatively coconut cream
    - Icing sugar, according to taste
    - Cinnamon
    - Rum or rum aroma
    - Coffee
    - Biscuits (used digestive but vegan lady fingers are ideal if you can find them, maybe online?)

1) Whip the cream. This can take ages with a handheld whisk. Life hack - put it in a jar with some air and shake it for a few minutes instead.
    2) Mix mascarpone with the lemon juice, cinnamon and icing sugar.
    3) Fold them into each other.

Mix the rum with coffee, dip biscuits in it one by one as you use them. This needs a lot of coffee/rum as it will weaken in the final product.

Layer a row of biscuits then cream, etc as tall as you want. Finish with a layer of cream (and pour remaining coffee/rum on it) and pour cocoa over the top. Put in the fridge overnight. Et voilà.

deaglan1 wrote: »
    Texture wise it is lovely. But do you not get the coconut taste coming through?..that brings it down a star and a half for me.

I have a piece in my mouth as I post this, just to be sure>< , but no I actually can't. I'm smacking as much as I can, on second piece now, and....nope. Tastes great to me. It has been over three years though...I'm going in for a third piece. ;)

Looks great Tar.Aldarion!

My humble efforts pale in comparison.

Brekkie
    Chocolate weetabix, walnuts and almonds ( good for calcium), mixed seeds especially sesame ( calcium) and mixed berries with Tesco unsweetened soy ( €1.50 good value ).
    -I had a look at Flahavans' milk but doesn't have added calcium so a pass for me.

Celery soup ( onion and garlic base obvs. ) with tofu and Alpro single ( cream ).
    After squeezing water out I 'marinated ' tofu in veg stock and 2tbls soy about 20mins and added all to soup thereafter for cooking. I took most out before blending then put back in.
    Cream at end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭KennisWhale

I had these as a snack since I ate dinner far too early (spirallizer twisty fries in the air fryer and double vegan cheeseburger - tasty but lacked fibre).

2 of those Tesco wholemeal pittas done in the microwave until softened then filled with a huge dollop of hummus and pickled cabbage, with some onion salt to taste. My go to power snack (a beastly 15g of fibre).

Miso soup
    Leek, garlic, a lot of ginger, chopped lemon, couple of veg cubes, red onions, parsnip, cabbage, tin each of kidney beans, black beans and chickpeas, miso paste and soya sauce and black pepper. Left sit for 24 hrs.

• Advertisement

Meatless Farm Co. burger. I like these a lot.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I haven't made this yet, but i will and it looks incredibly easy and delicious!

BBQ Chickpea Tacos

https://honestcooking.com/bbq-chickpea-tacos/

BBQ sauce is never a thing i buy, i just don't have a use for it, but i never thought of putting it on chickpeas. Perfect!

I will use the small wholemeal wraps from Dunnes, they are really good.

Tarka dal with garlic and coriander naan.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/tarka_dahl_with_rice_01844

First attempt at baking. I put chia and flax seeds in the dry mix.

https://youtu.be/hn0TgkfSzgg

Chickpea curry and wholegrain rice.
    Added a dollop of mango chutney too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Chickpea curry and wholegrain rice.
    Added a dollop of mango chutney too.

How did you manage to get a camera phone into the prison?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Mod note: Rudeness will not be tolerated. Food doesn't have to look good to taste delicious, as we all know very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,737 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Faith wrote: »
    Mod note: Rudeness will not be tolerated. Food doesn't have to look good to taste delicious, as we all know very well.

It's a farmer trying to wind someone up because they hate vegans, I don't know why this is tolerated.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

It's a farmer trying to wind someone up because they hate vegans, I don't know why this is tolerated.

Mod Note: From the charter:
    Report posts, don't backseat moderate

If a thread or post is breaking the rules, if you suspect trolling, don't make accusations on thread, instead hit the report post button. Moderation on boards largely depends on the report post function, use it!

This applies to all posters: You've all made your points more than clear in the Feedback thread about ill-feeling on both sides of the farmer/vegan divide. Do not keep dragging it up now, given that you know we are attempting to resolve the issue. This will be our final warning of this type - report posts you have a problem with, and do not continue to report them when there has been any obvious moderator action. Posting on-thread will lead to formal sanctions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭White Clover

Such an inflammatory post, no need to use that kind of language.

Advertisement