Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fantastic Showing!!!

Options
  • 06-09-2019 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

This afters, I'm on the phone to my boss. Wandering around with my earphones and voice mike in. The front door's open and I happen to absently move towards it. Chatting away.

Then, as I get to the door, a massive black thing appears, low over the meadow. Twenty yards and closing! All my boss hears is:

" What The Fu ..... Raven!!! "

It was absolutely bloody Fantastic!!! :eek: I mean, as she spotted me and peeled sharply off to the right, I not only got a face full of that infamous 'Wedge shaped tail'. I could Extremely clearly see the big, heavy beak!

Breathtaking experience!

Oh. Schit. Am I gonna die now? :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

They are fairly widespread and much more common than many people think. 3500 breeding pairs here in 2000 and they have expanded since then. 86% on 10km squares in Bird Atlas surveys recorded them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

I'd imagine the ban on indiscriminate poisoning, brought in to protect raptors, will have benefitted them a lot. Real beasts though! Always love to see/hear them!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Stigura

I'm not suggesting there's anything amazing about seeing ravens, especially in Co. Leitrim.

But, believe me; To find one coming at ye, couple of yards above the fence line. Quite literally 'out of the blue'? That was quite some experience! :)

What's a woodpigeon? I'm sure the BTO survey records could tell us, at a few clicks.

To me? One of the most amazing birds I ever saw, close up, out my bedroom window, as a small child.

I then went on to shoot them, practically on sight. Eat them. Think nothing of it, or them.

Now? Catching and handling a single woodpigeon has been one of my most memorable and gratifying memories. An absolute privilege. I Love woodies! :D

Sorry, you've lost me.

Then you are lost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

There’s two every morning in the north side shopping center at the bins. I love them. Fantastic birds that despite a lot of people thinking they are predators that do hunt.

Wow! That must be truly amazing to see. DodderA.

Just like the historical records of kites, dive bombing off the Thames bridges of Shakespeareian London. Scavenging on the padsattitude below. I'd guess they had ravens too?

Just basing that on the fact that the Tower of London seems to have somewhat of an obsession with them. Presumably had them long, long ago?

Wonder how long Dublin has had ravens, casually hanging around? I wonder what google might say?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Brazen Ravens? I haven't copped them, but keeping a proper eye out for them now.

Thanks for the heads up.

Stigura wrote: »
    Wow! That must be truly amazing to see. DodderA.

Wonder how long Dublin has had ravens, casually hanging around? I wonder what google might say?

Ravens are recorded breeding in Dublin right back to the 1800s. The numbers dropped but they were always in the vicinity. A couple of pairs were breeding at UCD in 1990, much to the amazement of the students.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

A pair of ravens built a nest in a Scots Pine (small plantation) behind my house three years ago. As soon as it was built, a pair of buzzards started harassing them to claim squatter rights. This went on for a couple of days, back and forth, throwing shapes and squawking. One morning they started up, it sounded even louder than usual- I went out to investigate and the two pairs were now joined by a pair of grey crows. I was then treated to a noisy and energetic half hour three-way aerial battle.

I'm glad I'm not a gambling man because I certainly wouldn't have backed the eventual winners (who held on to the nest and went on to raise a clutch)..of course, the grey crows won.

• Advertisement
Advertisement