Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do we now have seal eating Killer Whale pods in Irish Waters

• 31-08-2019 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,620 ✭✭✭

I'm asking this question after watching a very enjoyable nature programme about Shetland on BBC2 this evening. It appears a seal hunting pod of Orcas have moved into the area and are targeting breeding beaches during the summer season. Would be interesting to know with the increased sightings of Orca in Irish waters in recent years, are any targeting Irish seal Colonies?? I have one just offshore from my place in North Mayo(Broadhaven). Get plenty of Dolphin and Porpoise but no Orca yet(to my knowledge)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,785 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I tell ya one thing we could do with a few of them off the south Kerry coast.

The seals are multiplying and spreading like Japanese knotweed and the salmon are getting smaller and fewer every year.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

The seals are multiplying and spreading like Japanese knotweed and the salmon are getting smaller and fewer every year.

I was just going to post the same thing.

Orcas would be extremely welcome around wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,620 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I was thinking the fishermen would welcome it;) - it would be interesting to know were seals being preyed on by Orcas prior to the era of commercial Whaling from the late 18th centaury onwards which severely impacted many species?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,185 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

are we in a causation/correlation discussion now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

No, more a cetacean discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,379 ✭✭✭✭kippy

To be fair, I'd suspect humans overfishing and environmental problems the cause of fish stock and size issues rather than the poor seal.

Causation does not imply correlation mr moderator.

It was merely a short discussion between members with an interest in what is going on around them.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,185 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that was my point; and the converse too. also, i'm not a moderator of this forum. my opinions are as well (or in this case, badly) informed as anyone else, and me being a mod of a completely unconnected forum makes to difference to that.

however; i'm not inclined to believe that salmon stocks out west are that badly affected by numbers of seals returning to what (at a guess) are a small fraction of what would be considered their 'natural' level.
    seals are by far from the only predator affected salmon levels, but they're obviously going to be blamed by some.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Stigura

" Do we now have seal eating Killer Whale pods in Irish Waters "

No, more a cetacean discussion.

:D Comedy Gold! Ye couldn't make this stuff up! :D

that was my point; and the converse too. also, i'm not a moderator of this forum. my opinions are as well (or in this case, badly) informed as anyone else, and me being a mod of a completely unconnected forum makes to difference to that.

however; i'm not inclined to believe that salmon stocks out west are that badly affected by numbers of seals returning to what (at a guess) are a small fraction of what would be considered their 'natural' level.
    seals are by far from the only predator affected salmon levels, but they're obviously going to be blamed by some.

I really think you should stick to the cycling because I find it very difficult to comprehend your point.

• Advertisement

you must have had even more beer than me so.

you must have had even more beer than me so.

Yeah, that would explain it alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,014 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

kippy wrote: »
    To be fair, I'd suspect humans overfishing and environmental problems the cause of fish stock and size issues rather than the poor seal.

I've never seen so many seals in the last 10 years as I seen in the 20 before, if it's overfishing causing the problem how in the jaysus are their numbers increasing? Makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,014 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Salmon "farming", that's another beauty, how it's allowed is beyond me, utter disgrace.

http://www.conserveireland.com/mammals/grey_seal.php

Far be it from me to imply a connection but read the both articles carefully and draw your own conclusions.

If you are after too many beers just read the first sentences in the first report and the last sentence in the second report.

I need some rest now, dawn is approaching and the stag hunting season has just begun.

No offence folks but can we get back on topic;)

i suspect - unfortunately - the answer to your question is 'insufficient data'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭paul71

I've never seen so many seals in the last 10 years as I seen in the 20 before, if it's overfishing causing the problem how in the jaysus are their numbers increasing? Makes no sense.

Are their numbers increasing or is their behaviour changing because reduced fish stocks. Perhaps they are following fishing trawlers to feed off the discarded undersized fish that are caught, and that makes them more visable by being closer to populated areas around fishing ports.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

kippy wrote: »

The seals in Ireland along with cormorants moving upriver have a massive hand in the decline of salmon.

Cormorants are moving out of need - there feeding grounds have been stripped, but, the 6 mile ban may help with this issue.

Seal populations have exploded and are seriously out of hand. Culls need to happen, how the common seal is protected here is beyond me.

They will be the final nail in the coffin, they are intelligent hunters, they line estuaries and chase inland to the 1st weirs, they hunt in packs off the coast and decimate shoals.

Is is totally unsustainable for salmon in Ireland if they are not dealt with.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

It was merely a short discussion between members with an interest in what is going on around them.
    I really think you should stick to the cycling because I find it very difficult to comprehend your point.

Mod Note: Keep it civil or I'll happily remove people.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Suffice it to say that Salmon (and other species including Eel) have a particularly difficult life cycle compared to fish that remain resident in the same area for their entire lives. With that in mind, coupled with the poor state of our waterbodies and surrounding landscape (agriculture, forestry, drainage, cutover bogs, flood defense, dams, weirs etc) that it seems very simplistic and even optimistic to blame their predators - if only it was that simple to solve!

Also note that nobody ever blames Kingfishers, Great-crested Grebes etc. - always Cormorants and Seals! I suspect that if Cormorants looked as nice as the former two then we'd be blaming something else...

And finally, lest some untruths persist - our wintering Cormorant population is declining and Cormorants have always been birds of the coast and inland lakes and rivers - it's not a new phenomenon by any means.

Suffice it to say that Salmon (and other species including Eel) have a particularly difficult life cycle compared to fish that remain resident in the same area for their entire lives. With that in mind, coupled with the poor state of our waterbodies and surrounding landscape (agriculture, forestry, drainage, cutover bogs, flood defense, dams, weirs etc) that it seems very simplistic and even optimistic to blame their predators - if only it was that simple to solve!

Also note that nobody ever blames Kingfishers, Great-crested Grebes etc. - always Cormorants and Seals! I suspect that if Cormorants looked as nice as the former two then we'd be blaming something else...

And finally, lest some untruths persist - our wintering Cormorant population is declining and Cormorants have always been birds of the coast and inland lakes and rivers - it's not a new phenomenon by any means.

A lot of the times the simple answer is usually the right one, in this case common sense would dictate that the seals are indeed to blame for much of the decline in our salmon stocks.

The seals became a protected species in the 70's and from that time there has been a noticeable decline in our salmon stocks as pointed out in a previous post quoting two different articles which were posted.

People with experience of understanding nature know that salmon will wait until the river they were spawned in is at the right water level before attempting to travel the river, most rivers get the annual run of salmon at the same time each year.

If we have a particularly long dry spell at the time the salmon normally enter the river they are stuck outside waiting for the river to send a signal that the time is right. This is the time when the seals do the damage to the stocks.

I've seen a battle royal between a cormorant trying to lift a peel (a young salmon) from a small river I fish on a regular basis, the salmon was lucky to escape that time. I've never seen or heard of a Kingfisher doing damage to salmon stocks, probably because they don't.

Salmon and cod are naturally prey to seals, as they are among the slowest fish. It's nothing new and has always been so. In the 1960s British biologists revealed that 80 per cent of the stomach contents of seals sampled was salmon and 18 per cent cod. Thus is nature. The fall in overall stock levels goes way beyond natural predation. And I'm a keen angler for over 60 years. I've seen stocks reduce but predation by seals and cormorants is nothing new.

The Hydro dams on the Shannon and Erne have done immense damage to salmon and Eel stocks too. Worse is that the ESB refuses to mitigate such damage via maintained fish ladders, filters etc.:mad: As regards cormorants there is evidence that Sea-Eagles on Lough Derg are snacking on them;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Where can I find info on orca pods around Ireland? I do a bit of long distance sea kayaking and would love to see them hunting seals. From a safe distance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I would suggest that the factory ships are taking more salmon than the seals.

Try contacting here..

https://iwdg.ie/

But you're very unlikely to see them hunting seals.

• Advertisement

I would suggest that the factory ships are taking more salmon than the seals.
    Highly unlikely.

Advertisement