Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Water John wrote: »
    Ganmo, the Dept would then have to compensate and there avoiding that.

I think the dept have the budget to compensate for 32 pi animals. At a guess 50k

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Was just coming in from checking cattle- it’s two barn owls in the out building and I reckon I heard a fledgling/chick calling inside.

That's cool to have them there. Have a fairly mature woodland behind the house here and I think there are some long eared owls there from listening to the different calls on youtube. Would keep me awake hooting all night in the spring if I left the window open.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Interesting workshop on Biochar in cuffesgrange, co.Kilkenny there with Albert Bates.

It seems biochar has been somewhat of a success in Sweden. It started in Stockholm as a way of rejuvenating the cities trees. They dug up around the trees put down the biochar soil mixture. The trees did well, so more were done. Then they started using it on the green areas in the streets to filter out pollutants and nutrients to stop them ending up in the Baltic.
    Then the other cities around Stockholm wanted in on the action and they started and now it's even being used under new pavements and roads to filter the water.
    So now Sweden has to import Biochar from Finland because they're running short on biomass to make it.
    The Biochar in the city's soil is filtering the air too so win for air and water.

So if you are wondering why there might not be the same supply of timber stakes coming from eastern Europe. Well there you go.

Who knew lightning makes a "whum" noise when it hits the ground?!! :eek:

Close one there when milking the cows. Electricity went off for roughly 8 seconds but no stock hurt or damage done to the transformer.

Edit: On the plus side. There's probably 5 units of nitrogen after falling to the ground in that rain there. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Dozer1

In Gortalea mart last Friday there was a young owl flying around the ring poor fella was well terrified.

• Advertisement

Interesting workshop on Biochar in cuffesgrange, co.Kilkenny there with Albert Bates.

It seems biochar has been somewhat of a success in Sweden. It started in Stockholm as a way of rejuvenating the cities trees. They dug up around the trees put down the biochar soil mixture. The trees did well, so more were done. Then they started using it on the green areas in the streets to filter out pollutants and nutrients to stop them ending up in the Baltic.
    Then the other cities around Stockholm wanted in on the action and they started and now it's even being used under new pavements and roads to filter the water.
    So now Sweden has to import Biochar from Finland because they're running short on biomass to make it.
    The Biochar in the city's soil is filtering the air too so win for air and water.

So if you are wondering why there might not be the same supply of timber stakes coming from eastern Europe. Well there you go.

Actually here's a clip from 2015 of what Albert was on about with the tree planting in Stockholm using biochar.

https://youtu.be/MojlKaAKeh8

So you can imagine what's happened since. The biochar use is towards the end of the clip. They even just used biochar and stone. No soil.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,908 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Anyone else get dodgy private messages?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

whelan2 wrote: »

Yep - I assume that’s why it takes a while longer to load the page now, there seems to be some extra check happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,315 ✭✭✭naughto

Was there a doss attack with cloud flare protection before you get in

• Registered Users Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭Grueller

There was me thinking that it was my dashing good looks and witty personality that attracted that message.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭roosterman71

There was a banner message here a few days ago about the private messages. Yer not to open it, or links and just report it to the mods to deal with.
    Thread here ---> https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058005347

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

I had a chat with her ! Very well versed on the plight of beef farmers in Ireland at the moment. She is milking 150 cows herself in Columbia !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,639 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I'm counting cattle for a neighbour that's gone on holidays. He has cattle in 8 places. I checked on google earth and in one place alone I walked over 3 kms.
    When you add in my own cattle, it's some workout every day.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Yeah, got one myself last night. Report and delete. There's been a few issues the last few days with DDoS so the background guys are trying to balance up the cloudflare thing to minimise disruption while still keeping that crap out of the site.

I'm counting cattle for a neighbour that's gone on holidays. He has cattle in 8 places. I checked on google earth and in one place alone I walked over 3 kms.
    When you add in my own cattle, it's some workout every day.

25000 steps here yesterday while shopping...

Yeah, got one myself last night. Report and delete. There's been a few issues the last few days with DDoS so the background guys are trying to balance up the cloudflare thing to minimise disruption while still keeping that crap out of the site.

How do you report the private message?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Tell us had they picked you out a nice man or was it a lady?! :D

Got one of those pms myself.

Muckit wrote: »
    Tell us had they picked you out a nice man or was it a lady?! :D

Got one of those pms myself.

Mine was called Sara

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Mine was called Sara

She had lovely........... eyes, yeah eyes :D

Grueller wrote: »
    There was me thinking that it was my dashing good looks and witty personality that attracted that message.

No they were targeting the ones who looked like they are good for a few quid.

I never got any myself..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Grueller wrote: »

No they were targeting the ones who looked like they are good for a few quid.

I never got any myself..
    I'm meeting my one at the weekend, she really seems to like me....

Bullocks wrote: »
    I'm meeting my one at the weekend, she really seems to like me....

See if she'll consider working for the beef plan movement. I'd say Larry & co have lovely websites.

See a body has been found in the search for the missing 15 year old girl in Malaysia. So many holiday tragedies recently. Rest in peace

You'll have to open the PM and DON'T CLICK INTO THE LINKS!!

And, at the top right corner of the message, you'll see a red triangle like on a normal post for reporting. Click into that and give your reason for reporting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Muckit wrote: »
    She had lovely........... eyes, yeah eyes :D

She had eyes?? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 21,064 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Here is an infographic that I got over on the Brexit thread. It's really good at showing the food imports and exports between the UK and other EU countries.
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/ng-interactive/2019/aug/13/how-a-no-deal-brexit-threatens-your-weekly-food-shop

Note on the last box 'what about everything else' you can check any food item.

I was talking to the Knackery lorry driver this morning after he came to collect two weanlings that died from Blackleg. He was after coming from a farm with 5 deaths and was at a farm yesterday with 25 weanlings dead so it seems to be a common enough problem. It might be worthwhile to give that booster shot to those younger cattle this year.

We never had a case here before but the cracking of the ground last year may have brought up spores and there is now a risk where there wasn't before.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Big bulls that are being banded would need vaccine shots as well before the operation.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭148multi

Mine was called Sara

I seen her first, 😉

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/08/12/beef-banned-university-bid-fight-climate-change/amp/

Debate on Newstalk earlier. I've never heard such peddling of misinformation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement