Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DCU or UCD?

Options
  • 26-06-2019 1:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi, please forgive me if this isn't the correct subforum for this.

I've been offered a place in 2 courses I'm really interested in, social policy and sociology in UCD and social science and cultural innovation in DCU. The former is a very long running course and the latter is new, a reformed version of the contemporary cultural studies course. First I was far more interested in the UCD course, but I see the DCU one offers an INTRA year of job placement and seems focused on improving the employment of graduates.

Is one college better than the other? The two courses themselves seem very similar, the first being more established but the latter being focused on making sure graduates can find work. I have no idea which I would prefer, but would be curious to know if one university would be better to have on my CV than the other. If anyone has any info/advice I would really appreciate it. Thanks so much.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭rosmoke

They are both very good universities and you get what you make out of it. It really depends on you, they are very similar.
    My advice would be to speak with an advisor or someone qualified that can point you into an area where there are plenty of well paid jobs.
    You might think that doesn't matter that much but both me and my partner had to go again through college to actually find jobs and it takes a lot of time and money.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Ellawr

Thanks so much for your helpful reply! I really am totally torn, do you know where I'd find someone who might be able to point me in the better direction? I'll try googling advisors, thanks so much for the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭crosswords

I've had experience of both.

You are correct that dcu is very geared towards employment and developing skills relevant to the workplace.

On the other hand.... in my opinion you cannot beat ucd for the learning experience. Its really excellent. The facilties are amazing. Lecturers are generally really good. A great environment to study in.

Advertisement