Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ratings Discussion Thread - Mod Warning #271 (26th June)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

leggo wrote: »
    You’re legitimately looking for digs now. I think you read every word I say as if I’m talking to you specifically with ill intent. I don’t know you. I don’t have a bad, or good, word to say about you to throw digs or have any reason to. Whereas haven’t I already had to ask you to leave me alone in a different forum? We’re not in a ‘feud’, this isn’t a ‘beef’, stop taking my opinions so personally random stranger under an alias! :pac:.

If you want an echo chamber where the opinions you share are unquestioned then I suggest you go elsewhere. It just so happens that we share similar interests so I'm afraid you're going to have to put up with me if you say something, or act in a manner towards other posters, that I disagree with.

If you think I'm harassing you then by all means hit that report button.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Nobody is disputing that there are downtrends, certainly not me, but the point of contention is if they are significant and worth reading into, i.e. Are WWE ‘dying’ or in trouble?
    Once again, I disagree with the notion that WWE’s downtrend is indicative of them ‘dying’

Just a point of information, you're the only one on this thread who has used that phrase or is using it in your arguments. Nobody else is saying it or has said it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

And you’re stopping the quotes there specifically because you know if you kept the rest in and bolded you’d have to say “Alright some people are saying that part directly...” :pac: When you had to actively delete parts of my post because you knew that part was easily proven in two seconds, did you not think “He might have a point?”

We’re not having this discussion for no reason man. People aren’t pointing towards the ratings and low attendance, while the likes of yourselves give personal anecdotes on why you’ve stopped watching, to make the point “huh, look at that, I’m sure that’s totally insignificant...” I’ve seen and been in (and been proven right over time in) this debate dozens of times over the years, I know where it’s going. It’s just that after they posted the ratings, I pointed that out, so everyone is stopping short of saying it because they’re like “okay yeah I might look ridiculous if I’m wrong.” But it’s what’s being implied, come on.

And you’re stopping the quotes there specifically because you know if you kept the rest in and bolded you’d have to say “Alright some people are saying that part directly...” :pac: When you had to actively delete parts of my post because you knew that part was easily proven in two seconds, did you not think “He might have a point?”

I've bolded that phrase because it's relevant to the point I'm making, namely that you're the one that introduced and kept using the term. Nobody else has inferred it. You keep pushing it as if it's a narrative. It's not. You've no problem picking people's arguments apart, thought it was fair to point out your use of the term.

If you want an echo chamber where the opinions you share are unquestioned then I suggest you go elsewhere. It just so happens that we share similar interests so I'm afraid you're going to have to put up with me if you say something, or act in a manner towards other posters, that I disagree with.

If you think I'm harassing you then by all means hit that report button.

I’ve no problem with people disagreeing, it was a bit weird when you went from following me from here to the GOT forum and not even referring to the points I made anymore, just quoting everything I said with a smart comment. I had hoped that saying “leave me alone” in public would be enough, when people have to be asked to do so in front of others, it generally does the trick because shame. But the ignore button works too. Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Dave on Observer Radio posted:
    Everyone wants out..I dont want to say everybody cause Roman Reigns doesn't want out, but....they were just in town and....yeesh. They (WWE) didnt expect this momentum (AEW) to keep growing. I'm sure that (WWE) would have thought that it was beginners luck the first time, but now they can't say that, but this has gotten stronger (AEW) with each show and the momentum is insane. Vince has a lot on his plate right now....this is not something he saw coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭nazmoalex

Proposal to change the title to
    The Rated R, Ratings Forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

lawlolawl wrote: »
    Dave on Observer Radio posted:
    Everyone wants out..I dont want to say everybody cause Roman Reigns doesn't want out, but....they were just in town and....yeesh. They (WWE) didnt expect this momentum (AEW) to keep growing. I'm sure that (WWE) would have thought that it was beginners luck the first time, but now they can't say that, but this has gotten stronger (AEW) with each show and the momentum is insane. Vince has a lot on his plate right now....this is not something he saw coming.

Ah sure who needs that spoofer Meltzer when we have the self crowned John Oliver of the PW forum to put us right.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,082 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Meltzer is AEW's PR machine. I'd take anything he says with a truckload of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

J. Marston wrote: »
    Meltzer is AEW's PR machine. I'd take anything he says with a truckload of salt.

And it’s so blatant at the minute honestly puts me off them

• Advertisement

J. Marston wrote: »

Literally. His claim that All Out was the most in-demand pro-wrestling show ever was laughable. It’s actually brazen at this stage, a movie reviewer would have their reputation shredded if they started appearing in trailers and hype videos for movies like Meltzer is now for AEW. But wrestling media has zero standards so he’ll receive no pushback.

Also if anyone believes the origin story of All-In, where Cody started it because of a tweet from Meltzer, wasn’t a total work I’ve a bridge to sell you.

Literally. His claim that All Out was the most in-demand pro-wrestling show ever was laughable.

It sold out in 15 minutes and there were literally 10s of thousands of people queued on the website to buy tickets yesterday.

It sold out in 15 minutes and there were literally 10s of thousands of people queued on the website to buy tickets yesterday.

I was thinking about this the other day. At first I was thinking that is a genius way to get an idea of how many people are willing to buy tickets.
    But then I was looking at Reddit, and people giving advise for the cueing system. The majority of people seemed to be cueing multi times, like one person could potentially be cueing for 8 slots using different browsers with incognito tabs.
    So maybe those numbers aren't the best to go off.

I’m finishing up in work so, before I log off, I’ll give you rope to hang yourself with...

Do you HONESTLY, like stake your integrity on it, believe that this was the most in-demand wrestling event ever? Bigger than any WrestleMania ever? Or Rumble or Starrcade or Wrestle Kingdom? And that 135,000 (which I believe was the figure he quoted/pulled from his arse) people were in queue for this, meaning they’d have sold out any WrestleMania stadium that’s ever have been run instantly if they could’ve? With Hangman Page in the main event?

In front of all of boards PW...is that what you believe? Or is known friend of The Elite, Dave Meltzer, co-opted and waffling?

I’m finishing up in work so, before I log off, I’ll give you rope to hang yourself with..

In front of all of boards PW

Posting rubbish like this is asking for abuse.

See if you think about, you are in possession of said rope.

Even if everything in between those quotes were to make 100% sense to everyone, that snidy way of making a point is going to make people dispise you.

This is a recurring theme in nearly all of your posts.

If you tonned it down a bit people might engage a bit more.

I don't have anything against you, I enjoy reading parts of your posts and appreciate an alternate approach or input, but jeez man stop the snide remarks.

Stop deflecting by making it about me. If he wants to go on record as saying he believes Hangman/Jericho would outdraw Hogan/Andre (which he’s one step off doing), is it kinder to remind him of the stakes beforehand so he considers what he’s saying and has a chance to backtrack...or be sneaky and point it out him after he’s committed a ridiculous point to text?

Stop deflecting by making it about me. If he wants to go on record as saying he believes Hangman/Jericho would outdraw Hogan/Andre (which he’s one step off doing), is it kinder to remind him of the stakes beforehand so he considers what he’s saying and has a chance to backtrack...or be sneaky and point it out him after he’s committed a ridiculous point to text?

''Kinder to remind him of the stakes''. Is this actual parody at this stage? Are you working? For the love of Brooklyn Brawler! It's a wrestling forum. It's grand. There are no stakes. It doesn't matter if someone makes a statement that's against the grain. Or goes against what you think. It's fine. Saying things like you'll make an absolute show of yourself and I'm good enough to save you from it is among the cringiest things I've ever read on this site.

I made the point before that about numerous slots potential being taken up by one user, or did you miss that?

I wasn't deflecting anything.
    You made a post about giving someone a rope to hang themselves, I think my response was fair. If you don't want to acknowledge that, well fine. Maybe that ingorne button might be of use.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

giphy.gif

Omackeral wrote: »
    It's a wrestling forum. It's grand. There are no stakes. It doesn't matter if someone makes a statement that's against the grain. Or goes against what you think. It's fine. Saying things like you'll make an absolute show of yourself and I'm good enough to save you from it is among the cringiest things I've ever read on this site.

Read that again, you're literally doing what you're giving out to me for doing. "It doesn't matter what someone says, it's only a wrestling forum"...then seconds later..."don't say that, it's cringey." And you accused me of being a parody? You broke yourself with the irony of this post. :rolleyes::pac:

Lads, once again, thread not about me. It IS fine if someone makes a statement that's against the grain. So stop piling on me about any and everything BUT the topic because I'm saying that WWE isn't actually in trouble. If you'd have just been able to say, "I don't really like WWE anymore, I like the look of that AEW thing a bit more, but I don't know much about ratings and whatnot," you'd have avoided ALL of this. But everyone has to play expert now. And when they make objectionably wrong statements and get contradicted with facts and logic, they get thick and try attack the person about literally anything else because they can't argue their point or deal with saying "I was wrong." Standard lads, well done. Anyway, I'm home now and off the phone for the night so good luck!

• Advertisement

Leggo, you're coming off as an absolute narcissist on here. Worse than the Luger fella circa 93. Writing John Oliver style reports and all. Unbelievable craic out of you. Gonna have to slap you on ignore because I'll catch a ban otherwise if I keep responding to you. I don't know if it's a heel turn you're trying out but as others have said, you were once a really good, and above all else, sound poster. Now, it's like reading your personal preachy blog anytime you post.

Omackerel isn't bothered watching one episode of Raw. The Butterfly Effect consequences of that seemingly insignificant incident:

-- The WWE is now in trouble.
    -- He's telling people to say whatever they want and stop saying what he doesn't want in the same sentence.
    -- I'm Lex Luger now and he's going to get banned if he doesn't ignore me.

Jaysus man. You should've just watched tbh, maybe the constant of keeping up with Raw was holding you together...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,082 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    giphy.gif

Use the appropriate gifs in the wrestling forum, please...

tenor.gif

But everyone has to play expert now. And when they make objectionably wrong statements and get contradicted with facts and logic....

This is a great character.

I'll stake my Boards.ie pro-wrestling subforum reputation on saying it's one of the best gimmicks on here.

I'll stake my Boards.ie pro-wrestling subforum reputation on saying it's one of the best gimmicks on here.

The Insiderz Explode! Big Trev vs Leggo ends in a no contest when the audience taps out.

Omackeral wrote: »
    The Insiderz Explode! Big Trev vs Leggo ends in a no contest when the audience taps out.

Does Trevor still post here?

I still see him on Something Awful the odd time with his incredibly vague predictions about something maybe possibly happening some time in the future.

This Leggo guy has the exact same condescending tone as him.

Ahhh you bottled it! It was so built-up, there were popcorn gifs and all, for a simple yes/no answer. Either say no and admit you were wrong but actually look mature and like you have sense, say yes seriously and look like a bit of a lunatic or, the third, nuclear option everyone (me included a bit tbh) was hoping you’d pick, and saying yes just to be a dickhead about it all. And instead we just got a bad joke (seriously 0 thanks when you’re making fun of the lad who’s getting piled on is bad, and any subsequent thanks now lads is ironic). Absolute let-down.

Anyway lads, you need to cop on a bit here. All I did to start this debate was relay the info Meltzer, the guy who’s mates with the people who run AEW remember, himself said about the NBA clash before Raw even happened. Nobody credible is claiming Monday’s ratings are a disaster. You’re coming in with hot takes overreacting, getting pulled up with sense, getting stubborn and thick, then getting totally personal when you can’t argue the point. Go back and read, I haven’t actually attacked one person here, yet how many times have I had to reply to people saying “This thread isn’t about me”? I think I said it 3-4 times yesterday alone. You’re all talking in another thread about how hardly anybody is posting here anymore, look at your behaviour in this thread towards someone who’s just pointing out what every news source out there is about the ratings and maybe you’ll see why. Like you said yourselves, it’s *only* a wrestling forum. Exactly. So if you don’t enjoy WWE, but someone else comes on not absolutely slating them, maybe just let them have a different point of view or it will be (as someone said) just an echo chamber of 3-4 posters left **** each other off saying the same opinion. Now I’m big and bold enough that it doesn’t bother me and I’m not off reporting you all, but still, others won’t be and will just say “this place has gone to the dogs.” And then you’ve ruined the corner of the Internet you had to chat about your hobby. There’s what...10ish regular posters left? And people don’t seek out message boards anymore so there’s nobody new coming. Maybe not trying to chase off anyone who has a different opinion is the smart move. Doesn’t bother me, watching wrestling is part of my job now so I have a podcast, regular events, I’m in loads of groupchats, have social media and plenty of places to chat with mates if this place dies a death. But if you like it yourselves...just a thought.

Nice meltdown.

Nice meltdown.

It’s this kind of quality banter that’s seen this place reduced to “WWE are dying because they didn’t make a Trump documentary”, “You used to be sound!” and crickets. Anyway I don’t have all of Sunday to row with you man, I usually just boards when working. Have a good one on here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,179 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

If the WWE had this kind of rivalry on TV right now they would be killing it in the ratings.

This is better than anything the WWE are putting on TV.

Advertisement