Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Civil / Structural Engineering As A Career

• 24-01-2019 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,

I’m currently studying civil engineering in an Irish IT. I’m really enjoying the course and am excited in general about the work involved however there’s a few things that I can’t find out about through college alone. I love the content of the course but what I really would like to know about is what it is actually like in the working world after completing a civil / structural engineering degree. I have the option in final years to complete either a civil or structural engineering degree. I would really appreciate if anyone with any insight could help me with these questions. I am trying to arrange work experience to gain an insight into the industry but any help would be appreciated.

1. What are the hours / days work like?
    2. What are the job conditions like (Where do you work, inside, outside etc)?
    3. What is the pay like and how does it progress over time?
    4. What is career progression like from the start to 5 or 10 years plus in the job?
    5. What are the job opportunities / employability like in Ireland for engineers?
    6. How would you compare civil vs structural vs other areas of construction engineering?
    7. Would you choose this career path again / recommend it as a career to someone starting out?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭arsebiscuits82

Hi, I'll give you some of my experience since graduating in 2007 (feeling old now!). For background, I spent 4.5 years with a main contractor in the North after graduating, and moved to a different field for a few years and am back contracting again now since the tail end of last year.

In my current role, its 7.30-5 Monday to Friday, with no weekends bar for planned major works that can't be done during the week. I'm on a roads job at the minute and the tie in's have to be done over weekends. They are few and far between so I can't complain.
    Previously it was 7-7 Monday to Friday and at least one Saturday or weekend a month depending. I was in the Uk working and got flights home every 2nd weekend, most of the other weekends were spent working or on the beer!
    It's generally project specific. In the summer we might work 7-7 if the deadline is tight, but in general it's a 9.5 hr day

Site work is generally a bit of both. I meet with the foreman every day and go through the plans for the next day. First thing in the morning I make sure everything is in order for the day. I might have to set out a few bits and give a few levels etc. Once that rush is over the rest of the day is on paperwork/supervision, maybe working on another site. It's varied. If you like the outdoors it's a great job. The weather is the weather, but good PPE and your sorted.

When I graduated in NI, the starting salary was £21500, which went to £26500 after the 4.5 years. Considering it was a minimum 60hour week, it wasn't great, but you have to learn the game and build the experience. A Senior site engineer can now expect to earn between €45k-€55k, not sure on graduates.

4. What is career progression like from the start to 5 or 10 years plus in the job?
    Someone else can give a more detailed account on this, I have a gap, having being out of the game for a few years, but the company I'm with now are progressive and I hope to get up to Project Manager level in the next year or 2.

5. What are the job opportunities / employability like in Ireland for engineers?

At the minute, there aren't enough engineer's to go around especially on the contracting side of things. Not sure on the consulting end.

6. How would you compare civil vs structural vs other areas of construction engineering?
    The big difference is probably in the design/consultancy end. From a contracting point of view, a good bit of what is learned in college can be ignored. I've never had to do a calculation more difficult than interpreting levels or tweaking a drainage design to save on the excavation side of things. A general knowledge is fine, the experience on site will bring you on 10 fold. The more Senior you get, the more the focus shifts to the commercial aspects of contracts, I'm finding now that I'm digging into old lecture notes to refresh the memory!

7. Would you choose this career path again / recommend it as a career to someone starting out?
    Would I do it again, yes. It's a great career from a single mans/womans point of view. The hours can be long, my record is 84 hours in 1 week, and no day off for 6 weeks, but that was a long time ago.

Unfortunately with contracting you have to go where the work is, which can be difficult with a young family. I've been lucky that since I have settled down I haven't had to move away. My current company's pipeline is strong and have at least another 3 years work where my commute will be around 40 minutes. But with the boom bust cycle in Ireland you never know how things will play out.

Talk to your lecturers as they will have contacts outside of college that may take you on for the summer to give you a feel for things. As part of my studies I had to do a years placement which really opened my eyes to the world!

Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 civileng1357

Thank you so much for taking to time to write all of that and going into such detail. All of that is really helpful thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭bo0li5eumx12kp

I'm gonna cast a more negative spin on things.

It sucks, I hated it.

No one told me you'd have to up sticks and move every 6 to 12 months, wherever the job site was, you go.
    Nor did the tell me I'd be up at 5:30 am every morning, for a minimum hour commute to some outdoor, cold ass, rain soaked job site, trying to hold your hands steady from the cold, whilst making notes in your pocket book.

Some dudes seem to love it.

I wasn't one of them.

I curse the day I did that course, I curse myself for not being more thorough in secondary school when it came to career guidance - and I curse career guidance for being a largely incompetent practice.
    I knew it wasn't for me after my placement.

I have interests outside of work.
    Maintaining them as a site engineer was simply not feasible.

After 4 years in college, thousands of euros - I ended up in the service industry, unskilled, low paid - and preferred it 1000x to contract engineering.

I don't know about the pay - as the above dude mentioned.

My first job as a graduate, I was on 60k Aussie dollards.
    For me, the money was wonderful.
    I was told some engineers working far in the outback and innovative projects can basically name their price.

250k and up - I was quoted.
    Which is a hell of a contrast to what the above dude quoted - and what the above dude quoted, is a stomach churning contrast to what I read pharmacists in Ireland are now making (at least double that).

That being said - from your post, you sound like you have an interest in it.

In college, I had to consciously avoid falling asleep in lectures.

I was far more concerned with picking up chicks - and was so concerned with my social life in college, the course material was just incidental, I barely noticed it, and cared even less.
    I did my assignments, attended labs, passed exams, all the while my mind being on the size of my biceps, and whether that chick from last thurs night was gonna call or no.

So you might enjoy it but - like I said, 1000 curses upon career guidance for their hapless incompetence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭onrail

OP - to add some notes from the consulting side of things. I'm 8 years working in a consultancy environment, chartered Civil/Geotech Engineer

Depends on the sort of person you are. The standard working week is 40 hours and many stick to that, but the more senior you get, the more the hours seem to creep up. This year, my working week has approached 65 hours in busier times, I've eased back to the 40 hours when workload permits.

I've had a good mix in my career so far, maybe 70% office, 30% site based. In consultancy, the more senior you become, the less time you spend outside.
    Not great. I started on £20k sterling in NI, being lucky enough to get a job in the depths of the last recession. It's doubled since. Someone at senior chartered level could command about €55k in Dublin at the minute. More money and (arguably) better conditions in teaching, Gardai etc.

IMO the rate of progression has a nice pace to it. You're not rushed into Chartership and management like some accountancy practices, moreso given time to develop your technical aptitude before moving into the leadership side of things. Early management roles may sound attractive, but a manager without sound technical knowledge and experience is a disaster waiting to happen.

Excellent at the minute, but it's VERY cyclical. I finished my degree in 2009 where about 5% of the class got jobs in Ireland. I did a masters to bide my time, many emigrated.

This is a personal preference thing, but I wouldn't wish site engineering on my worst enemy. Very pressurised, long hours, poor working conditions for a mediocre premium in salary. Consultancy-wise Civil is a decent path - you tend to develop broad experience, as opposed to structural which can end up very focused.

Unfortunately not. I don't hate my job as-such and it has many rewarding aspects, but if you were to balance stress and working conditions/hours against pay levels, it compares very poorly against other careers.

Ultimately, you really need to love it to judge it as a good career.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

The accounts given above seem to be from the contracting side of things. Make no mistake, that is a tough world. Some contractors are absolute brutes and don't give a damn about their staff, it's just greed and grab everything and cut corners on a contract wherever possible.
    Usually the culture is to wing it, chance it, cut corners, overstate work done, take the piss with claims, not bother with that, get some cheaper Chinese crap with no CE mark, until the resident engineer or client directs a correction. Many contractors are just glorified cowboy operations.

However, I think the salaries being talked about above are very low. 45k for a senior engineer? No way, you'd be getting rode if that's all you're getting. Engineers in contracting usually get paid a good bit more than consultancy engineers due to the long hours, difficult conditions, travel etc.

I graduated in 2013 and went into a civil/structural/environmental consultancy. I loved it.
    Regular hours, 9-5.30 usually with some exceptions.
    Sometimes stressed but most of the time it was grand.
    I would say 80% office 20% site over my four years there.
    Started off on €22k and after 4 years senior design engineer on €45k. (I know I said that is low, but that is for contracting)
    Great mix of colleagues, mostly very helpful and friendly, and varied disciplines - engineers, planners, ecologists, technicians, admin, archeologists, architects.
    Good social scene, and plenty time of other activities outside of work. I made some good friends working there who I am still in regular contact with.
    I was also encouraged to get involved with engineers Ireland and I think it has been very worthwhile to me as I have also met a lot of people through that. I hope to get CEng this year.

Last year I moved to a City Council. Broadly similar to the consultancy side of things. ie, regular hours, location, social scene, encouraged to pursue training and development, CEng etc. (contractors often discourage CPD and upskilling as it costs money and staff might be getting notions of asking for more pay due to the extra skills). Contrary to popular belief about councils, I am quite busy in the council job. I would say I am actually busier than I was in the consultancy and also had more responsibility.

There is also loads of opportunity in the local authority at the moment. Loads of jobs going. I have been here a year and now I have gotten a new position as deputy manager of a water treatment plant, which I am actually starting at tomorrow morning.

Working as a resident engineer, either with a consultant or a council, gives an opportunity for working on site for periods even if you are usually office based.

I would certainly favour the consultancy or local authority, Irish water, or OPW sectors for a career as a civil/structural engineer. It gives a better work-life balance and is healthier place to be, both physically and mentally. I wouldn't dream of going working for a contractor. No way José! I don't want to be worked for 70 hour weeks and treated like shít by management, who oftentimes are just Dell-boy chancers with no construction qualifications.

Working for a contractor might be good and a nice career if you are really hands on and into the whole big digger and suckin' daysul scene.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I'm a chartered engineer with about 15 years experience working in a consultancy in Cork.

Depends - anything from 37.5 hours up to 60.

In an office.

Pre recession I'd be on close to €80k. Not there yet but I've a decent package that would be worth more than that now.

Becoming a chartered engineer is key. I'm an Associate Director. Class mates are directors. Some with equity some with their own business.

In consultancy very good but pay rates are still out of balance. If your not an idiot I'd give you a job tomorrow. Further education and cpd is key. I've done my MSc and MBA since graduating.

I'm working on projects all over Ireland, UK and Holland.

Personally, I did both starting off and now works as a transport planner.

Yes but dont expect an easy number. This isnt a 9-5

One piece of advise. Working on site will be hard going. Long hours and tough conditions
    Working in an office can be long hours and ok conditions.
    Dont expect to be thanked for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

My son graduated over a year ago and basically did three interviews and took his choice which company to work for. He opted for the one which asked him how much would he expect to be paid and when he said around 30,000 offered him more. There were other factors too why he chose that company, short commute, very well established, one class mate working there already.

His typical week is around 40 hours in an office working on road projects here and abroad, he gets a pay rise every 6 months and has just started studying for his masters outside of work hours. He does very little travelling with the job but that's really more by choice than anything else. He loves the job, he finds it very interesting and rewarding.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

godtabh wrote: »
    I'm a chartered engineer with about 15 years experience working in a consultancy in Cork.

Depends - anything from 37.5 hours up to 60.

In an office.

Pre recession I'd be on close to €80k. Not there yet but I've a decent package that would be worth more than that now.

Becoming a chartered engineer is key. I'm an Associate Director. Class mates are directors. Some with equity some with their own business.

In consultancy very good but pay rates are still out of balance. If your not an idiot I'd give you a job tomorrow. Further education and cpd is key. I've done my MSc and MBA since graduating.

I'm working on projects all over Ireland, UK and Holland.

Personally, I did both starting off and now works as a transport planner.

Yes but dont expect an easy number. This isnt a 9-5

One piece of advise. Working on site will be hard going. Long hours and tough conditions
    Working in an office can be long hours and ok conditions.
    Dont expect to be thanked for it.

And I think that's what EVERY potential student should know - and typically, they don't.

What projects did you work on in Holland?

I was located on the Noord-Zuid Lijn for a bit, years and years ago.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

And I think that's what EVERY potential student should know - and typically, they don't.

What projects did you work on in Holland?

I was located on the Noord-Zuid Lijn for a bit, years and years ago.

Due to a NDA I cant say but it is up north in an agricultural port.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭thebsharp

It sounds like you've already got a good start on the design side so you should pick this up pretty quickly. The nature of water and how we design for it doesn't change all that much around the globe.

I would focus your attention on perfecting you're already good written English. This will allow you to take on small projects that involve writing design reports about your design work from an early stage. This really helps career progression. Small projects lead to big projects and your manager will gain confidence that they can give you more responsibility to manage bigger things.

Advertisement