Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Number26/N26 Mastercard/Account now for Irish Residents

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Why is my MasterCard PIN not working?

When you set the PIN for your NUMBER26 MasterCard, it is stored securely in the MasterCard network as your online PIN. However, in some countries, such as France, Ireland, Greece and Slovakia merchants predominantly use card terminals that rely on an offline PIN. These machines will verify the PIN code against a secure element on your card’s chip, not against the MasterCard network. That is why your PIN code is not accepted at these terminals.

In order for your card to work at these terminals, you first need to synchronize your online PIN to the secure element on your MasterCard chip. You can do this easily by withdrawing money at an ATM with your MasterCard. ATMs will always verify your code online, and they will write your online PIN to the secure element on your chip. Once you have successfully withdrawn money from an ATM, your PIN will be accepted at offline PIN terminals as well.

It is important to keep in mind that each time you change your PIN, it will have to be synchronized again with your MasterCard chip. If you change your PIN yourself, please make sure that you use your card at an ATM in order for the new PIN to work at an offline PIN terminal.

I take it the above explains a lot of problems that some Revolut users are having here in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

I tried the above on my DKB Visa card and it won't work because the chip on the card is programmed to do online pin first, than signature, offline pin is not coded on the chip so that trick won't work.

Let's see when the number26 card arrives next week what they coded it as and if that trick works (I'm still confused as to the statement that it's coded as Irish card).

And I agree, I think the above is the reason why revolut card has some issues.

Took the plunge earlier and opened an account using my smart phone. I registered via website first.

I was waiting more than 8 mins - if you have a plastic cover on your passport take it off. You will have to hold up to camera on phone passport page with your photo and show it and agent will take photo's and you have to show front cover of passport.

The app seems real cool and I like being able to log in to website.

I sent some money via PTSB - it ask's your country and I tried Ireland but you need to select Germany because of the IBAN number.

The card that they will send out is partially transparent - pretty cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭JTMan

Please let us know how you get on with direct debits.

I am also thinking about switching from PTSB to Number26. No FX fees, no government levy, condition-free free banking, a good app and no branches to deal with are all big pluses.

JTMan wrote: »

I am also thinking about switching from PTSB to Number26. No FX fees, no government levy, condition-free free banking, a good app and no branches to deal with are all big pluses.

As long as you are aware of the low cash withdraw limits on number26 and you can live with the 600€/day 2000€/week.

That is the only major challenge I see right now.

But if your PTSB account is free, I would keep it.

• Advertisement

Thanks. I can live with those limits. My PTSB account will not be fully closed until a long period of being content has occurred with Number26.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

1. They ask you to confirm you full name as on the ID document
    2. They ask you to move your ID in front of the camera so that they can see the security features
    3. They will take your picture
    4. They will take a picture of the ID document (in case of German ID both front and back)
    5. They will send you a text to your phone which you need to enter into the chat client

Once you have done all of that and linked your app to your device (create a PIN and transaction PIN) the account can be used.

I never saw that when I signed up, and never linked my phone. I did it just there. They had my number down as:
    +3530861234567
    So the 4 digit code was never pairing (I wasn't receiving a text\code).
    It needs to be:
    +353861234567

I think the person who takes the videocall inputs it while you are on the phone.

Allyall wrote: »
    I never saw that when I signed up, and never linked my phone. I did it just there. They had my number down as:
    +3530861234567
    So the 4 digit code was never pairing (I wasn't receiving a text\code).
    It needs to be:
    +353861234567

I think the person who takes the videocall inputs it while you are on the phone.

Actually you enter it when you sign up very early on, if the number was incorrect, how did you get the verification code during the IDNow session?

I was required to enter an sms code while I still was on with IDNow.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Actually you enter it when you sign up very early on, if the number was incorrect, how did you get the verification code during the IDNow session?

I was required to enter an sms code while I still was on with IDNow.

I think the 2nd code is sent after the person on the other end confirms your number.
    The girl asked me to confirm my number, i said "0861234567" and she typed it in.
    That's probably when I was supposed to receive the pin to pair my phone.

The first time is done by the number you inputted.

- If you can operate a FREE PTSB Current A/c I would keep it on - I may consider setting up a direct debit for some future purchase but for now I'll keep my direct debits via PTSB.

- I might switch all my day to day spending i.e ATM and POS to Number 26. Remember you cant get cashback and some shops may not take the Number 26 card but I'm just guessing this might happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Nollog

As long as you are aware of the low cash withdraw limits on number26 and you can live with the 600€/day 2000€/week.

That is the only major challenge I see right now.

But if your PTSB account is free, I would keep it.

Cash lodgements in the country would be nice too.

That is still the old pre NFC card, let's see how the card looks with NFC but rumor has it's still transparent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

No Cashback on the card is the only thing stopping me.

But with free ATM transaction which possible also are not charged the new ATM tax is cash back that important?

But with free ATM transaction which possible also are not charged the new ATM tax is cash back that important?

- Cashback - €100 per Debit Card Transaction (max of €300 within a 24 hour period)

- Cashback is not available for Contactless transactions.

Cashback is nice to have but not the end of the world without it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I pretty much only take out euro by Cashback so if would be a big inconvenience.

I don't care about cash back.

Anyway, I just took the plunge too and opened an account. The account opening process via video call was very impressive. They took the video call straight away via my Android smartphone.

Interface looks impressive. Card will apparently arrive in 3 days.

I would not take that 3 days as reality, for Germany fine as they send out the card the moment you open the account (even before you define he PIN which is why you need to do the ATM workaround show above) but letters from Germany these days take 4-5 days.

well it's GloHealth (and I confirmed again today about it and they say, Irish account only) and Energia (last checked 2 month ago).

For what it is worth, it seems that Energia allow your use non Irish direct debit details provided you complete a paper form.

• Advertisement

For what it is worth, it seems that Energia allow your use non Irish direct debit details provided you complete a paper form.

Excellent, thank JTMan, that is news to me an Customer Service did not know it either, I will send it off.

Central bank came back and told me they need a final decision letter from GloHealth before they can do anything, so I fired off a complaint with such a request.

Well done for contacting the Central Bank of Ireland.

Keep pushing GloHealth. By law, GloHealth need to respond within 20 days and issue a final response letter within 40 days.

I will be switching all my direct debits from PTSB to Number 26, if I encounter any crap like this, I will be on to the Central Bank of Ireland as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Central bank came back and told me they need a final decision letter from GloHealth before they can do anything, so I fired off a complaint with such a request.
    Believe it or not I had the same carry on from Ulster BANK last year when I requested to change a direct debit mortgage payment from a now closed BoI account account to DKB. They initially refused, then I sent them the paper form which was returned to me. I then asked for a final decision letter from them and hey presto they set up the DD. BoI account was closed a month later ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I've just set up my account, and I'm giving serious consideration to making this my primary account, and closing my Irish account. Is there anything this account can't do that an Irish current account can do?

As far as I can see, it's not possible to set up standing orders (it's not jumping out to me on the app). Not being able to get cashback seems weird, but I rarely use cash anyway.

Even if it doesn't fit my needs, I'll still use it to buy stuff online in dollars and pounds to save a few quid.

You can set up standing orders.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Nollog

The standing orders stuff is in the top right under the "..."

The website has statements, in German but they're letter headed, so there's that I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

McGaggs wrote: »
    I've just set up my account, and I'm giving serious consideration to making this my primary account, and closing my Irish account. Is there anything this account can't do that an Irish current account can do?

As far as I can see, it's not possible to set up standing orders (it's not jumping out to me on the app). Not being able to get cashback seems weird, but I rarely use cash anyway.

Even if it doesn't fit my needs, I'll still use it to buy stuff online in dollars and pounds to save a few quid.
    My problem is that my job doesnt want to pay to non Irish accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Nichard Dixon

If these kinds of service put the squeeze on Irish banks, great. If they put an end to the ridiculous duty on credit cards and taxes on ATM cards so much the better. However it seems to me that if they are doing business in Ireland they will have to apply these charges and these can be a barrier to competition.

Open a FREE savings demand account with a Irish Bank for your salary and then transfer your salary over to Number 26. Also if you get any cheques you will be able to lodge them to Irish Bank and again transfer the money to Number 26 if you wish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

/\/ollog wrote: »
    The standing orders stuff is in the top right under the "..."

The website has statements, in German but they're letter headed, so there's that I guess.

I see it now. Thanks.

Advertisement