Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

LET IT SNOW AND BE COLD!!!***RAMPING THREAD***Mod Note #1193#2705

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭kwik

I think 96fm have misquoted Met Eireann. They wont go beyond 3 weeks this year because blocking is predicted to occur at the end of this month which could bring us wintry weather (UKMO and EC32 day models). ECM seasonal models have predicted a mild zonal winter. Their 32 day presently contradicts the seasonal model.

All he said was next week would be mild and it looked like the following week would be mild aswell. I didnt hear him say anything about a mild winter. Doesnt mean he didnt say it just means i wasnt listening properly

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Just out of curiosity, which is more severe, the Arctic Chill or the Siberian winds? I'm guessing Siberian because it goes over the land, picking up colder weather along the way whereas the Arctic chill goes over the ocean where the temperatures are above 0. Is that correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

just heard on 96fm here in cork that met eireann claim it will be a mild winter and the past cold winters were just by chance thing. BUT yet the government are stating theres over 1/4 a million tons of grit just incase!!! and ive spotted local county council going around with quads and have front plated fitted to take a plough! didnt take picture as was driving at the time.

met eireann are wrong at the best of times :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,027 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, which is more severe, the Arctic Chill or the Siberian winds? I'm guessing Siberian because it goes over the land, picking up colder weather along the way whereas the Arctic chill goes over the ocean where the temperatures are above 0. Is that correct?
    I would think the Siberian would be colder too, unfortunately its almost 26 years since we've had a genuine easterly blast. I remember the extraordinary cold spell of Jan 87 with daytime temps of around -5c and a gale blowing - a real penetrating pipe burster! There must have been about 25cms of snow along the east coast. It only last about 3 or 4 days though - I'm still waiting for another one!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

i have a feeling we will get blocking, but i fear it will be with a west based nao which means we likely stay on the mild side, as the cold air from the north is wasted on part of the atlantic. i'm not liking the ecm seasonal model either, this could be factoring in us being on the wrong side of blocking, before the default pattern sets in:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    1. Use m.boards.ie and not touch.boards.ie this will not pull in graphics and eat data allowances.
    2. Thats entirely your fault for going into an FI thread which is full of very graphic snowpr0n ....and also where I posted that CIE Snowplough Train vid you are complaining about.

Stay away from FI threads full of graphic snowpr0n in future...m'kay! :p

1. use m.boards
    2. I go into FI for the charts

Show me this snowpórn you speak of!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

gozunda wrote: »
    2013 is the 50th anniversary of one of the heaviest widespread snowfalls experienced in Ireland and the UK

I think 1947 had much more snow. 1963 was colder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭catch.23

47 had more snow and was colder, but the post did say one of the heaviest.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

As said 'One of...'

Anyway did you like the 1963 film or what?

Sorry couldn't find one for 1947 ;-(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

it can snow in december when i'm off from college and living in the city center.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

I always wish for snow and then when I realise I have to travel in it, I hate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

FM104 just plonked this on Facebook.

I presume it's 100% accurate. :P

548979_465663930143905_1288087708_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Why would it not be accurate? It must have been reported by every newspaper, every chat show and every radio station the length and breadth of Ireland and beyond.

One might make a mistake, but the rest could not possibly fall for the same thing, one after the other, the other, the other, surely not. Nah, has to be real IMO. They ALL can't be wrong :p

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭jimmy.d

Winter forecast 2012/13

Head forecasterOctober 21, 201213
    snow-610x250.jpg
    Latest UK Winter forecast 2012/13 update – 9th November 2012.
    Why we expect winter 2012-13 to be a cold one.
    We expect this winter to be colder than average, the general theme throughout November will be Atlantic driven weather patterns.
    Late November we expect a change, a pattern that will disrupt the westerly airflow’s and block the Atlantic, with the milder zonal weather patterns at bay we will see an increasing trend of much colder air making it’s way from the north and north east.
    There will be periods of high pressure bringing settled conditions with ever increasing night time frosts, becoming harsh and widespread.
    As things stand we expect some significant amounts of snowfall for Scotland, Northern England along with eastern coastal counties of England as for south as the south east corner in to December.
    Is there any evidence of this at such a long range out?
    The jet stream is an important driver to our weather patterns here in the UK and of late it’s had a tendency to position it’s self further south than expected.
    When the jet stream is positioned to the North of us during summer months the UK generally enjoys a much warmer, settled period of weather.
    If the jet stream is positioned over us or to the south of us it will bring much more unsettled conditions.
    During winter if the jet stream is positioned further south it leaves a wide angle of attack open in which polar maritime air can move in across the UK.
    With the jet stream much further south than usual if we get a blocked pattern where the westerly airflow’s from the Atlantic become blocked this will allow weather systems and much colder air to flood from the Arctic, and from Scandinavia (the north east).
    We expect the same type of pattern that we experienced in 2010, causing the coldest winter since 1978/1979. The UK national temperature data set was started in 1914, the winter of 2010 was not only the coldest in 30 years, it was also the 7th coldest winter on record and caused over £700 million pounds worth of damage.
    Satellite imagery from 2010 showing the UK under widespread snow.
    Satellite_UK_241210.jpg
    We expect some significant snowfall during December, certainly before the Christmas period. There has been talk from other websites about a much milder winter than average.
    I wouldn’t put the winter woollies away just yet.
    Our original forecast is below.
    November
    graa0PQ.png
    In to November we expect low pressure to be in charge bringing west to south westerly winds, towards the middle part of the month we expect colder air to make it’s way south.
    As low pressure systems push across the United Kingdom they will drag colder air from the North at times bringing spells of wintry precipitation to Scotland and Northern hills.
    There will be very little in the way of settled spells during November across the South of the UK, with milder air likely to prevail across more western and southern parts, with the coldest of the air in the North of the UK.
    The orientation and angle of low pressure systems during November will fluctuate, at times bringing increasingly colder air South across the UK.
    However settled spells are likely across the North, especially Scotland and far Northern England where temperatures will drop bringing widespread overnight frosts.
    Rainfall will be slightly below average across the North, and above average across the South. Temperatures around average for much of the UK, slightly below for Scotland and the North of England.
    December
    snow_uk2_1249996c.jpg
    A repeat of December 2010?
    December is going to be a mixed month, fairly mild to start, the theme will change later on in the month with North Easterly to easterly winds bringing wintry showers and snow showers to much of Scotland, Northern England, and eastern coastal counties.
    For a sustained period of cold weather for the UK the general idea is to block the Atlantic and it’s low pressure systems. If you get the perfect setup the flood gates can open allowing much colder air from the East like December 2010, or from the North of North East.
    We expect December to be a rather cold month with snow showers for many, with overnight temperatures dipping well below freezing.
    Rainfall will be average to slightly above average.
    January
    4BqAy9B.png
    We expect January to be slightly milder at first, then cooling down during the second half of the period leading in to a very cold February.
    Cold air from the North East will bring periods of snowfall to much of Northern England, Eastern coastal areas of England and filter inland.
    The South East and East Anglia may receive some very heavy snowfall.
    Conclusion
    I think this winter will be average to slightly above average in terms of snowfall.
    There is the potential with certain weather patterns and signals showing a colder than average winter, this winter may surprise quite a few of us, and who knows it only takes 3 weeks or so of widespread sub zero temperatures and snowfall to equal that of December 2010.
    Want to stay up to date with the winter weather? follow our Facebook page;
    http://www.facebook.com/ukstormchasers

Cancel reply

JavaScript must be ond to leave a comment.

ad516503a11cd5ca435acc9bb6523536?s=50 says:

oh how i love the snow hope we get lots of snow...
    24c42b3019a6ce4f6222341d0beefad0?s=50&d=http%3A%2F%2F0.gravatar.com%2Favatar%2Fad516503a11cd5ca435acc9bb6523536%3Fs%3D50&r=Ggingerjo13 says:

Dave the raver.................... you seam to be spot on with the weather...
    95adbd07b3ce877eb4fd45c1b0868cae?s=50&d=http%3A%2F%2F1.gravatar.com%2Favatar%2Fad516503a11cd5ca435acc9bb6523536%3Fs%3D50&r=Gdave the raver says:

Weather forcasters cant even get a few hours right in a day,...

Name:

Email:

Comments:

Write your comment within 199 characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭maw368

I hope for a really cold and snowy winter, I don't care what anyone says. We have 365 days in each year when you can almost always guarantee unimpressive mild wet weather, why wish for more of the same sh*t we see all year round when we could have some snow instead. Snow is pretty and fun...

I work outdoors in the water industry, yet I still wont complaint about bad cold and snow, despite the fact I get wet by my job. I too live on a hill in the welsh valleys. I ride my bicycle almost every day and the 2 bad winters we had recently didn't stop me hiking the mountains, walking the dogs, running or riding. Have a sense of adventure and just enjoy the brief cold and snow that we're only lucky to experience a few days every few years or so. I hate hot weather and love winter but I still make the most of summer and don't whinge about it incessantly.

I hope for very cold weather, awesome deep snow for a prolonged period. Including a white christmas.

maw368 wrote: »
    I hope for a really cold and snowy winter, I don't care what anyone says. We have 365 days in each year when you can almost always guarantee unimpressive mild wet weather, why wish for more of the same sh*t we see all year round when we could have some snow instead. Snow is pretty and fun...

Well, it's not either or. My ideal winter weather would be sunny and frosty with low single figures temperatures. Looks as pretty as snow, and is much easier to get around in.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Theanswers

Well, it's not either or. My ideal winter weather would be sunny and frosty with low single figures temperatures. Looks as pretty as snow, and is much easier to get around in.

That's why I drive a 4x4. An old one however, but I've no problem getting around.

Theanswers wrote: »
    That's why I drive a 4x4. An old one however, but I've no problem getting around.

If only everyone could afford one, for the handful of snowy days we get a year. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

If only everyone could afford one, for the handful of snowy days we get a year. ;)

It depends on where one drives, my work took me to farm yards and fields, beaches and sand and my hobby took me to remote mountain trails. Oh and the snow when it came.

Have to say that despite the abilities, I was scared travelling over Naad in 2010, three feet of snow, cars littering the ditches and other 4x4s driving like lunatics and sliding all over the road. My nearest comeacropper was with a dune buggy with really super chunkier tyres, but he skidded the most and he put it in the ditch to avoid me.

So for snow, one needs the right gear, properly prepared with additional driving skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭maw368

I do like cold and frosty weather, it beats the wet wet wet we've seen this year but NO, it has to be below freezing and very snow, nothing is more prettier. That way you get the lakes freeze up and the icicles and plus the cold means the snow will stick around longer than usual. Frost isn't much of an adventure. But the snow is, it makes doing most things a challenge which is fun.

Besides you can only build igloos, have snow ball fights, sled and hike in a white out in the snow... I can't do none of that in the frost. Also its nice to have a snow day off, wont get a snow day without snow!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

supposed to be 14 degrees on Tuesday! what a let down this winter is going to be..

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Janedoe10

ZX7R wrote: »
    What gets me with gritting and plowing primary routes is they seem to totally forget secondary routes which makes it near or imposable to get to the primary routes.on that note i checked my local Co Council gritting route and my village is not on it :(

What link is that ? It would be handy to know .

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Blizzard 2010

Things are getting exciting over in the Weather Outlook!!! Looks like indications of possible blocking at the end of this month:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

JJJJNR wrote: »
    supposed to be 14 degrees on Tuesday! what a let down this winter is going to be..

Relax, we're only 11 days into the season. We still have another two and half months left of bitterly cold weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

What's this 'blocking' you're all on about? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

As long as the pipes don't freeze I'm fine

JJJJNR wrote: »

14 isn't exactly extraordinary for early November, 19/20 has been reached at this time of year!
    jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    Relax, we're only 11 days into the season. We still have another two and half months left of bitterly cold weather.

Actually we're still 19 days away from the season, meteorological winter isn't until December 1st ( or even December 21st, depending on where you're living!).

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Blizzard 2010

What's this 'blocking' you're all on about? :confused:

We will end up with Easterly or North Easterly winds from the continent = snow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Ahh, thanks :o

• Advertisement

Not necessarily, we can end up on the wrong side of blocking too, and end up in a mild flow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement