Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Some videos I took recently...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

My turn then....

Poaching on my pond.... look at the time!

GKrKpOp.jpg

TT

• Registered Users Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

Dipper

These guys are great fun to watch( IMO)

37241232074_db5570201c_b.jpgDSC_1486

Spotted that possible 'hybrid' wagtail again today

37360843284_8e6c0ed511_b.jpgThat 'possible' Hybrid Wagtail once more

Aghhhh

Really annoyed- just missed a real good courtship capture

These two have been 'dating' for 10 days or so- but they do it over a 1000m stretch so it's hard to keep tabs

Was watching them today - they keep many metres apart but still keeping an 'eye out'

Then he did it- he flew right beside her( I presume it's the male who displays?) and opened his wings in a wide gesture- just got the video going as she turned her(?) back

here

38064064492_15b6a3c95d_c.jpg

I still think they will make ago of it- saw them later still cavorting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

not my video.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Eddie B

gzoladz wrote: »
    Barn Owl, the video.

https://youtu.be/NWV5gZLxuJU

Trying to figure out why it is not embedding correctly...

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

Hummingbird hawk moth

Link not working. I'll work on it. :confused::o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

Thanks tricky D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭dball

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

We have at least 4 hedgehogs visiting every night for food. I compiled all the cctv clips over one night and sped up by 4. Never knew they were spending so much time in the garden. Fluff the local stray even got ambushed :) If you have 20 mins to spare take a look. It started at 09:10pm and finished at 04.50am

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭CYHSN

Have been trying to feed a visiting hedgehog these past few weeks, numerous cats in area so built a enclosed feeder, the entrance set at 5x5 inches with tunnels, then reduced it to 4inches, look at this fecker still managing to get in

Hedgehog arriving after food is gone

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

CYHSN wrote: »
    Have been trying to feed a visiting hedgehog these past few weeks, numerous cats in area so built a enclosed feeder, the entrance set at 5x5 inches with tunnels, then reduced it to 4inches, look at this fecker still managing to get in

Hedgehog arriving after food is gone

what a lot of the hedgehog feeding boxes do is they put a wall on the inside so they have to worm their way around this stops the cats. what you could do and I've heard people do it is put a bricks in front of the door so they have to come in at an angle

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭CYHSN

spookwoman wrote: »
    what a lot of the hedgehog feeding boxes do is they put a wall on the inside so they have to worm their way around this stops the cats. what you could do and I've heard people do it is put a bricks in front of the door so they have to come in at an angle

Yeah I based the design from what I've seen online, I have 2 walls inside that he has to work his way around yet still manages, one determined cat for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭jazzyk

Captured a starling murmuration in wexford this week

https://youtu.be/9ocR_6eDt7w

https://youtu.be/9ocR_6eDt7w

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Irish Stoat at my bird feeders...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxK0qxWNH6I

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

The Sand Martins were back again in 2018 but sadly moved on after inspecting the wall. Fingers crossed for this year. :)

Del.Monte wrote: »
    The Sand Martins were back again in 2018 but sadly moved on after inspecting the wall. Fingers crossed for this year. :)

Great video- loved it:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭fiacha

I forgot to re-fill the seed feeders this morning so things were a bit quiet around the garden. Less than a minute after filling them the little brown beasts appeared :)

sorry about the vertical video !

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

not the best video, but what sort of moth might this be? some sort of hawk moth?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

not the best video, but what sort of moth might this be? some sort of hawk moth?
    Hummingbird hawk moth.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

cheers, i'm not well up on moths and could probably only name three or four species of hawk moth off the top of my head, let alone identify them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

If you manage to see one up close for more than a fleeting glimpse it does look to all intents and purposes like a small hummingbird in the way it hovers, and it's long proboscis. In fact when the do appear in any numbers here we usually get loads of posts from people claiming they've actually seen a real hummingbird!

• Subscribers Posts: 684 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

Spotted him in the garden one morning and left some food out.

You can see from the timestamp he makes 2 visits 3 hours apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Male sparrowhawk in roosting site

https://youtu.be/InY5zlD2LLc

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Is that the guy with the freakish long beak? Cyrano?

New Home wrote: »
    Is that the guy with the freakish long beak? Cyrano?

Yes, same guy different day. The pictures I posted on the pics thread were taken on Thursday. The video is from yesterday, Sunday. Cyrano (loved Cyrano!) was perching exactly on the same place, so that may be his roosting site.

I did check the spot on Fri and Sat too during my walk but I did not see him. Every few days I see a female too but flying high up (I have not seen her displaying)...this could be interesting.

• Advertisement

Cyrano was there showing very well right now...yesterday he was very deep into the canopy, today he was perching in the same three but at one of the outer branches, keeping an eye on the smaller birds. Certainly looking for breakfast but while I was there he did not make any attempt to catch anything.

I will post some pics later in the "Photos" thread.

Advertisement