Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I grow Irish broadleaf trees from but?

• 22-09-2019 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭

I'm hoping to plant hedgerows next year using native Irish tress and bushes, instead of buying saplings how do I collect nuts and seeds now and grow myself?

Oak, Hazel, Elm, Ash, Hawthorn, Apple, some Berry.

I understand it's a broad question but I want to start collecting nuts and seeds now and be ready for showing next year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Accidentally

n1st wrote: »
    I'm hoping to plant hedgerows next year using native Irish tress and bushes, instead of buying saplings how do I collect nuts and seeds now and grow myself?

Oak, Hazel, Elm, Ash, Hawthorn, Apple, some Berry.

I understand it's a broad question but I want to start collecting nuts and seeds now and be ready for showing next year.

For oak, hazel and elm, you need to plant as soon as you collect them. If they dry out, they are dead. They'll do fine outside for the winter in pots, but you might need to protect from mice.

Ash can take a long period to germinate, and I'd probably avoid the heartache at the moment, due to ash dieback.

Have you considered going for a walk in a broad leaf woodland in the spring with a trowel and a few bags. There will be thousands of germinating seedlings which will die when the canopy closes above them.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭n1st

For oak, hazel and elm, you need to plant as soon as you collect them. If they dry out, they are dead. They'll do fine outside for the winter in pots, but you might need to protect from mice.

Ash can take a long period to germinate, and I'd probably avoid the heartache at the moment, due to ash dieback.

Have you considered going for a walk in a broad leaf woodland in the spring with a trowel and a few bags. There will be thousands of germinating seedlings which will die when the canopy closes above them.

I'm actually heading to the forest now, I was hoping to get acorns and nuts but I will keep and eye out for germinating seedlings too, thanks

n1st wrote: »
    I'm actually heading to the forest now, I was hoping to get acorns and nuts but I will keep and eye out for germinating seedlings too, thanks

You might find some small whips at this time of the year, but April/May is when you will get the germinating seedlings.

Yew is also good as long as you haven't got farm animals. Take 6 inch hardwood cuttings anytime through to March. They'll root happily in sand or a sand compost mix.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Haws can be collected now and planted in a pot, leave them outside for the winter. A good place to look for ash is in tillage fields along a hedge with ash trees where spring barley was cut. But as already said might not be worth the hassle, the saplings would be about 6'' high at this time of year.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

As said in previous comments plant any seed you find in small containers, I use large yogurt pots. Covering the soil in sand will keep the mice away

• Advertisement

JJayoo wrote: »
    As said in previous comments plant any seed you find in small containers, I use large yogurt pots. Covering the soil in sand will keep the mice away

Very nice.

I found these grow bags very handy. I bought the 36L ones but a 20/25L one would do if in stock. Grow your seed in a small pot for the first year and then you can transplant into the bag until you are really to plant out. You can also reuse the bags as the plastic is pretty tough.

https://www.thegardenshop.ie/planting-bag/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

JJayoo wrote: »
    I found these grow bags very handy. I bought the 36L ones but a 20/25L one would do if in stock. Grow your seed in a small pot for the first year and then you can transplant into the bag until you are really to plant out. You can also reuse the bags as the plastic is pretty tough.

https://www.thegardenshop.ie/planting-bag/

Oh, could you tell me about the ‘piping’ or procreation you have in the trees in your last pic...

I am thinking of doing the agroforestry thing, with grazing sheep, but wasn’t sure how protecting them worked or what price it was.

So, interested in anything you have to say on the matter :)

You can buy the pipe in big rolls, I think the ones I got were 150mm diameter. It's very easy to cut with a saw and very easy to straighten once cut.

https://www.glanbiaconnect.com/shop/product/Perforated-Black-Coil-Land-Drainage-Pipe/9072380

You can get the drainage pipe in any co-op or shop that sells farming supplies, or online like the link tho that seems very expensive.

With sheep you need a good post as they will scratch off the trees and they can get a lot of weight into the post/tree.

I was using a plastic tape to tie the trees to the post. I got a huge roll from a factory that was closing down but it was a pain in the ass. Now I am using two big cable ties per tree.

550mm Vs 9mm, they just about fit around the pipe and post.

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/cable-ties-black-550-x-9mm-pack-of-100/75152

If you have crossbred sheep then this system should be no problem as long as you use good sized posts. Mountain sheep are a bit trickier as they are more likely to jump up and try and damage the trees.

If you put the pipe tight to the bottom of the ground then grass will grow up and come out the top with isn't good for the tree, keeps the bark damp, and will encourage sheep to jump up. What I have been doing lately is to use a flimsy/cheap wrap-around tree guard for the bottom of the 5/6 inches of the tree. These are very cheap and you can buy them online. This way you can stop the grass from growing up inside while still protecting your trees from hares.

Another good thing is to use an old paint brush to dab a bit of sheep dung on the tree just above the pipe so if any sheep did take a bite they would be put off.

Advertisement