Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus into Salzburg

• 05-09-2019 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if Aer Lingus will be flying to Salzburg again for 2020? I think they brought out the flights late enough last year?
    If you ask the feckers on Twitter they just say keep an eye on their schedules etc...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭maddness

Don’t think they are tbh. Ryanair fly but only on a Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,838 ✭✭✭Russman

FWIW I made a package booking the other day through Topflight and the flight is an Aer Lingus one into Salzburg. Presumably it’s a charter of some sort, but you might get a seat only option maybe ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭mollser

Flights seem very expensive this year, to go over new years especially. Also noticing a real reduction in flights - last year Ryanair had 4 flights to Salzburg on the last Saturday in December, with an extra 2 on the Sunday (which were soooo cheap initially...). AL also had flights running at the same time. This year there's only 2 on the Saturday and which are crippling in price - this seems to be the same to Munich etc.

Is this a trend or is there any likelihood of more flights been added at this stage? Perhaps I need to give up hope for this year...

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭webwayz

Yes Ryanair flights seem expensive this year to salzburg. Jet2.com fly from Belfast International on a saturday, EasyJet on Thursdays and Sundays. I believe TUI fly from Cork but I think that is only available in the summer, mostly packages in the winter I assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭webwayz

Munich gives you the option of Aer Lingus and Ryanair (and perhaps others) gives you weekeday flights, also there are ski-taxi bus options to Austrian resorts as well as German ones.
    I have done the bus to Munich HBF and train to Salzburg HBF and onto Kitzbuel and Ski Amade it takes about 3+ hours etc than flying to salsburg.
    Hiring a car is an option if it suits, although a few years back due to the migration crisis the german austrian border was harder than expected and had tailbacks and more security

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Lufthansa also fly Munich

I had noticed less flights to there also, I'm not sure why

Fly drive pretty easy, good bunch of resorts between 2 to 3 hours from there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

a148pro wrote: »
    Lufthansa also fly Munich

I had noticed less flights to there also, I'm not sure why

Fly drive pretty easy, good bunch of resorts between 2 to 3 hours from there

The Lufthansa option in MUC is a decent one, the terminal is much nicer, and they've a priority child boarding desk too. We went with FR to Salzburg in the end. The Lufthansa flight was a bit too late leaving DUB, as we like to get to the resort and get all our gear sorted the day before. Nothing worse than joining the scrum on Sunday morning for kiddie rental :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

olaola wrote: »
    the terminal is much nicer,

This is so true - great eating in that terminal, the other one has one reasonable asian joint and thats it, last time there in the other teriminal I had some fecking delicious bavarian equivalent of a roast in a roll, was superb after last days skiing and driving

I remember thinking the Germans had been sly hiving off the good stuff for their airline

a148pro wrote: »
    This is so true - great eating in that terminal, the other one has one reasonable asian joint and thats it, last time there in the other teriminal I had some fecking delicious bavarian equivalent of a roast in a roll, was superb after last days skiing and driving

I remember thinking the Germans had been sly hiving off the good stuff for their airline

HA! YES! Last year was the first time we were in it, it's so swanky!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭trashcan

Russman wrote: »
    FWIW I made a package booking the other day through Topflight and the flight is an Aer Lingus one into Salzburg. Presumably it’s a charter of some sort, but you might get a seat only option maybe ?

Ditto. Did the same this year and the flight home from Salzburg was a bit of a nightmare. Terminal was seriously overcrowded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Donie75

Munich is a better airport to fly in and out off if you are going skiing in Austria. I haven't been in Salzberg airport for years but the last few times was very overcrowded.
    If you are doing a fly-drive trip it might be worth going the more direct, but slower route along routes 318/307/181. Its a lovely route that runs by Tegernsee and Achensee lakes. Our bus driver goes that way the last few years to avoid the motorway border crossing.

trashcan wrote: »
    Ditto. Did the same this year and the flight home from Salzburg was a bit of a nightmare. Terminal was seriously overcrowded.

It's AWFUL. You're all hot and tired and just want to get out of there. I really didn't want to go to Salzburg this year, but the group won out, so I had to book it. Much prefer MUC. Even though it's a longer transfer.

Donie75 wrote: »
    Munich is a better airport to fly in and out off if you are going skiing in Austria. I haven't been in Salzberg airport for years but the last few times was very overcrowded.
    If you are doing a fly-drive trip it might be worth going the more direct, but slower route along routes 318/307/181. Its a lovely route that runs by Tegernsee and Achensee lakes. Our bus driver goes that way the last few years to avoid the motorway border crossing.

With the amount of us, it's just easier getting a transfer. And with kids and car seats etc, the hassle is a bit of a pain. I hate Salzburg airport though.

Advertisement