Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Public Outdoor Basketball court Limerick

Options
  • 23-04-2015 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭

Hi , I did a search that turned up a few similar threads from a few years back . Just wondering , has anything changed since ?Is there a public basketball court with decent rings/backboards in the city yet ?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Sporting Capital of Ireland shur
    No public pool either

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

You can use the hoops on the grounds of Ard Scoil Ris

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭barrymanilow

I'm fairly sure the hoops were taken off the backboards in ASR . If their is no public basketball court in the city then that is fairly shocking . Also I was chased out of ASR by the principal numerous times for using the courts after school or on weekends and that was when I was a student there , never mind now.

Is there still a court on the corner of the dock rd and ashbourne avenue next to centra?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

That's a Tennis Court AFAIK. Part of the Courtbrack Student Accomodation premises.

........never, ever seen anyone play Tennis there.

• Advertisement

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    That's a Tennis Court AFAIK. Part of the Courtbrack Student Accomodation premises.

........never, ever seen anyone play Tennis there.

Ah right. I think it might have had hoops once upon a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Kankan14

bigpink wrote: »
    Sporting Capital of Ireland shur
    No public pool either

By public pool do you mean open to public?, I'm pretty UL and Grove Island Leisure centre have pools you can use pay as you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

Would you be interested in getting a petition together for one as I have been thinking about it recently, always had courts available outdoors years ago and they are all gone now!! disgrace it is

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

It's strange how basketball seems to be quite popular in Limerick recently and the local club run with Tony Hehir and Michelle Aspel to the fore seem to be cleaning up at all competitions, I also heard that they are doing great work in the primary schools, how bizarre that there are no public courts to practice on. When I was growing up in Cork in the 80s basketball was huge, there were courts everywhere and they were jammers round the clock,

I agree, its fairly shoddy the there is not one public basketball ring in the 'Sporting Capital" .

The skateboarding community fought long and hard for the skatepark and fair play to them . They got it in the end . I'm no engineer but I reckon a basketball court would cost a fraction of the price of the skatepark and come up with a lot less opposition to planning from residents etc . That park across form the art college or could be a good place for it .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

I agree, its fairly shoddy the there is not one public basketball ring in the 'Sporting Capital" .

The skateboarding community fought long and hard for the skatepark and fair play to them . They got it in the end . I'm no engineer but I reckon a basketball court would cost a fraction of the price of the skatepark and come up with a lot less opposition to planning from residents etc . That park across form the art college or could be a good place for it .
    Yes but it'll be like white men can't jump on steroids.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Knowing his city if you built public basketball courts there is one thing that would be guaranteed to happen, claims, claims, claims.

Personally I think they are badly needed. It's policing them is the problem I'd imagine. Chances are a group of people would nearly take over them.

Jofspring wrote: »
    Knowing his city if you built public basketball courts there is one thing that would be guaranteed to happen, claims, claims, claims.

Unfortunately you're right. I think the council has had dozens of claims against them over the new playground in the crescent. Feckin compo culture! :(

While we are at it , is there even a public tennis court either ? I was visiting a friend of mine in the city of malmo in sweden last year , a lot of neighbourhoods had their own basketball court , five a side pitch and tennis courts . Its written into their planning regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

The nearest and best outdoor public basketball court is in Tipperary Town. Located in the middle of one of the housing estates. Its been a few years since i was out there but when i first found it i was amazed at the quality.

Going back we used to have an outdoor court in Raheen, we also used to play in Salesians (ground was too sloped) school during the summers. ArdScoil was always there but being honest i think the hoops were hung at over 10 feet and they were always bent.

Castletroy College have a well decent outdoor setup but thats not public.

The local clubs don't really care about outdoor courts as they want the players playing indoor on their team paying their gym fees.

I think starting a petition would be a good idea. It would be way cheaper to build than the skatepark. I mean all they need is a court sized level surface and two poles/backboards/hoops. And maybe a fence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Stab*City wrote: »
    The nearest and best outdoor public basketball court is in Tipperary Town. Located in the middle of one of the housing estates. Its been a few years since i was out there but when i first found it i was amazed at the quality.

Going back we used to have an outdoor court in Raheen, we also used to play in Salesians (ground was too sloped) school during the summers. ArdScoil was always there but being honest i think the hoops were hung at over 10 feet and they were always bent.

Castletroy College have a well decent outdoor setup but thats not public.

The local clubs don't really care about outdoor courts as they want the players playing indoor on their team paying their gym fees.

I think starting a petition would be a good idea. It would be way cheaper to build than the skatepark. I mean all they need is a court sized level surface and two poles/backboards/hoops. And maybe a fence.

That is not the case at all. Pickup basketball wont replace organised league basketball. But it could help it flourish if courts were available.
    Cost and location plus the fact it is a dying sport compared to the 80s and early 90s I would guess are the main reasons for not having outdoor courts.

Oh and Basketball Ireland failnig to ever promote the sport!

killwill wrote: »
    That is not the case at all. Pickup basketball wont replace organised league basketball. But it could help it flourish if courts were available.
    Cost and location plus the fact it is a dying sport compared to the 80s and early 90s I would guess are the main reasons for not having outdoor courts.

Oh and Basketball Ireland failnig to ever promote the sport!

I can not think of one Basketball Club in Limerick that has ever tried to petition the council for outdoor courts. I never said it would replace league basketball.

What i meant was the clubs have no interest in anything outside of their own clubs. Or anything really that does not benefit their club directly. This is so much the case that communication between the local clubs is and always has been at a low.

As i said i think it would be a fraction of the price of say a skatepark or a football field.

As for basketball being a dying sport you have no idea how wrong you are. There are 5 times as many kids playing these days as when i was that age. It may not get as much media coverage as in the old days but at the underage age level its still strong and also in the schools.

I can not think of one Basketball Club in Limerick that has ever tried to petition the council for outdoor courts. I never said it would replace league basketball.

What i meant was the clubs have no interest in anything outside of their own clubs. Or anything really that does not benefit their club directly. This is so much the case that communication between the local clubs is and always has been at a low.

As i said i think it would be a fraction of the price of say a skatepark or a football field.

As for basketball being a dying sport you have no idea how wrong you are. There are 5 times as many kids playing these days as when i was that age. It may not get as much media coverage as in the old days but at the underage age level its still strong and also in the schools.

Basketball is not as big as it was in the 80s and 90s. Nowhere near it.
    In the last few years the quality of underage basketball has improved alot and it is great to see the underage national teams back in action but it has a long way to go to get back to where it was.
    From all the underage teams in Limerick you only have 2 mens senior teams. Celtics and Lions.
    Do you remember how many teams were in Limerick 15-20 years ago?

Basketball is not as big as it was in the 80s and 90s. Nowhere near it.
    In the last few years the quality of underage basketball has improved alot and it is great to see the underage national teams back in action but it has a long way to go to get back to where it was.
    From all the underage teams in Limerick you only have 2 mens senior teams. Celtics and Lions.
    Do you remember how many teams were in Limerick 15-20 years ago?

I played underage basketball in the 80's and 90's. We were lucky to have enough players show up so we could have subs on most of our squads. Now at underage level basketball we have on average between 25-40 kids show up every week for practice and this is just one local club.

Yes i remember how many mens teams there were 20 years ago, Marathon was pretty much the only serious national league team.

Now you have teams from Limerick (Lions & Celtics), Newport, Newcastle West and more. Also don't forget UL eagles playing National league and the very successful UL ladies team .

So Mens basketball is pretty much the same as then one National league team and many local league teams. Ladies basketball has come on incredibly. And underage has more teams now than ever. Also we have had great success in the north munster area competitions at an underage level and at International level we have recently beaten the likes of the UK (first time ever).

I played underage basketball in the 80's and 90's. We were lucky to have enough players show up so we could have subs on most of our squads. I now coach underage basketball and we have on average between 25-40 kids show up every week for practice and this is just one local club.

Yes i remember how many mens teams there were 20 years ago, Marathon was pretty much the only serious national league team.

Now you have teams from Limerick (Lions & Celtics), Newport, Newcastle West and more. Also don't forget UL eagles playing National league and the very successful UL ladies team .

So Mens basketball is pretty much the same as then one National league team and many local league teams. Ladies basketball has come on incredibly. And underage has more teams now than ever. Also we have had great success in the north munster area competitions at an underage level and at International level we have recently beaten the likes of the UK (first time ever).

Newport play in the North Munster League and are from Tipperary. They have an aging men's team of 8 players. 15 years ago they had very competitive A and B teams with the A team stepping up to National League Div 1 for a period of a few seasons.

There is a Clare team from Shannon now in the league which is great to see and a team from Newcastle West. But that is it. 5 teams in the North Munster Area.

I did agree that underage basketball is growing in Limerick which is great to see. And hopefully continues.
    But even look at the support at PremierLeague level this year. Absolutely shocking how poor it was. Compared to the days of Troy, Strickland, McElroy, the McHale brothers...

• Advertisement

Newport play in the North Munster League and are from Tipperary. They have an aging men's team of 8 players. 15 years ago they had very competitive A and B teams with the A team stepping up to National League Div 1 for a period of a few seasons.

There is a Clare team from Shannon now in the league which is great to see and a team from Newcastle West. But that is it. 5 teams in the North Munster Area.

I did agree that underage basketball is growing in Limerick which is great to see. And hopefully continues.
    But even look at the support at PremierLeague level this year. Absolutely shocking how poor it was. Compared to the days of Troy, Strickland, McElroy, the McHale brothers...

Your right Newport is actually in Tipp! Well in fairness support in the Limerick area has always been pretty bad. Its usually only people involved with the clubs who even consider going to games anyway.

I still think even with the current state of basketball in Ireland that Limerick should definitely have some public/outdoor courts for people to scrimmage on when they get the urge. Its not a whole lot to ask i think with all the money that gets pumped into everything else. Maybe we should start a petition. I have mentioned it to canvassers looking for votes at the door before and they looked at me like i had two heads.

Your right Newport is actually in Tipp! Well in fairness support in the Limerick area has always been pretty bad. Its usually only people involved with the clubs who even consider going to games anyway.

I still think even with the current state of basketball in Ireland that Limerick should definitely have some public/outdoor courts for people to scrimmage on when they get the urge. Its not a whole lot to ask i think with all the money that gets pumped into everything else. Maybe we should start a petition. I have mentioned it to canvassers looking for votes at the door before and they looked at me like i had two heads.

Couldn't agree more. I don't live in Limerick City but if there were courts in or around the city available for pickup games I would travel in regularly. It is crazy how acceptable a skatepark is around the city and not even a half court in any of the parks.

Advertisement