Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where to live in Limerick?

• 22-04-2015 8:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hello,
    We are a family of four relocating from Moscow to Limerick city in May. We are currently looking for a place to rent (flat or house). We have seen some similar threads about bad/good areas in Limerick and so on but we would like to get the latest information from locals on the subject. We would prefer to be central as we do not have a car. Also we have 2 young children aged 3 and 6 so proximity to a good primary school is one of our major considerations. Basically we would like to be in a nice quiet place near all amenities and a good school. We have heard that there is a rental shortage on the market so finding a good place quickly might be a problem. Is it true?
    We would be very grateful for any comment/advice/reply.
    Martha

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Yes, it is difficult to find a house in good condition and in a good area. I don't know much about the apartments on offer in Limerick.

Limerick public transport : http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1360855300-Limerick-City-Map.pdf
    The map isn't very helpful unless you have good knowledge of the city but it's the best I can find.

Don't know much about schools - I hear the second level system is difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭johnmolloy554

jetfighter wrote: »
    Hello,
    We are a family of four relocating from Moscow to Limerick city in May. We are currently looking for a place to rent (flat or house). We have seen some similar threads about bad/good areas in Limerick and so on but we would like to get the latest information from locals on the subject. We would prefer to be central as we do not have a car. Also we have 2 young children aged 3 and 6 so proximity to a good primary school is one of our major considerations. Basically we would like to be in a nice quiet place near all amenities and a good school. We have heard that there is a rental shortage on the market so finding a good place quickly might be a problem. Is it true?
    We would be very grateful for any comment/advice/reply.
    Martha

Welcome to Limerick Martha. What is your monthly budget for renting a home and where / what area of the City will you be working in?

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭VikingG

welcome... I have worked with Russians in limerick previously so there are a number of Russians already resident.... you should check out
    http://www.harmonylimerick.com/
    might be worth contacting them for advice

• Registered Users Posts: 11 jetfighter

Welcome to Limerick Martha. What is your monthly budget for renting a home and where / what area of the City will you be working in?
    Thanks everyone for your replies. Our monthly budget would be around 850 euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,545 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Here is (probably) the most comprehensive accomodation site for Ireland.

http://www.daft.ie/

Here is a list of Primary schools in Limerick:
    http://www.schooldays.ie/primary-schools-in-ireland/primary-Limerick-City

In some cases, the schools will be full, and not accepting any more students for that class - it is best to contact them directly, explain your situation, and ask about availability of places.

You could look at a place like Dooradoyle for accomodation - it is close to the (very big) Crescent Shopping Centre, and not too far from the city centre. There are busses also. I don't know about schools in the area.

For 850 in the Dooradoyle area, you can rent something like this:

http://www.daft.ie/limerick-city/houses-to-rent/dooradoyle/?s[mxp]=850

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Thanks everyone for your replies. Our monthly budget would be around 850 euros.
    You'll be able to rent a 3 bedroom house for that no bother. Forget about apartments, they are overpriced and generally bad quality.

Considerations when it comes to schools.... Do you want them to go to a catholic school or do you mind? Limerick School Project is non-denominational and quite nice. Also you have the protestant school St Michael's nearby which is also good. (you don't need to be protestant to get in). They are both in the city centre though. What gender are they? Most schools here are not mixed.

There are several nice location around Limerick that suit your needs. I suppose school choice is going to drive your decision.

Thanks for your reply VikingG. Thanks for the link of the school but we are not considering a Russian school for our children. We want them to go to a good local Irish school.

Thanks for your comment. We know about this website but unfortunately most of the information on it is out of date. We have called a couple of place but they had been already rented out though they were still advertised as being available for rent.
    Is Dooradoyle a suburb of Limerick? Is it commutable by public transport? Is it a quiet area?
    Thanks

You'll be able to rent a 3 bedroom house for that no bother. Forget about apartments, they are overpriced and generally bad quality.

Considerations when it comes to schools.... Do you want them to go to a catholic school or do you mind? Limerick School Project is non-denominational and quite nice. Also you have the protestant school St Michael's nearby which is also good. (you don't need to be protestant to get in). They are both in the city centre though. What gender are they? Most schools here are not mixed.

There are several nice location around Limerick that suit your needs. I suppose school choice is going to drive your decision.

Thanks for your comment. Unfortunately, things are not so easy. It appears to be very difficult to find a good place in a nice location even with our budget. The real estate agents we spoke to all seem to blame a severe rental shortage on the market.
    We have a boy and a girl and we have no problem about sending them to a Catholic or Protestant school as long as it is a good school and near our home. It looks like our choice of school will be driven by where we manage to find a place.
    It is interesting what you said about the apartments being bed quality and overpriced. I saw some very nice looking apartments on Bishop's quay and Howleys quay.

Thanks for your comment. Unfortunately, things are not so easy. It appears to be very difficult to find a good place in a nice location even with our budget. The real estate agents we spoke to all seem to blame a severe rental shortage on the market.
    We have a boy and a girl and we have no problem about sending them to a Catholic or Protestant school as long as it is a good school and near our home. It looks like our choice of school will be driven by where we manage to find a place.
    It is interesting what you said about the apartments being bed quality and overpriced. I saw some very nice looking apartments on Bishop's quay and Howleys quay.
    That was just my own experience. Problems with damp, shoddy building. Some might be okay.

What about this place:
    http://www.daft.ie/lettings/fort-mary-park-north-circular-road-limerick/1544791/

NCR is one of the nicest part of the city

• Advertisement

That was just my own experience. Problems with damp, shoddy building. Some might be okay.
    I can confirm that there many damp houses and shoddy built houses (celtic tiger cardboard boxes).

I can confirm that there many damp houses and shoddy built houses (celtic tiger cardboard boxes).
    Not on the North Circular Road there isn't.

Are you contradicting me or yourself? Because only one of us mentioned NCR in a thread about Limerick city in general.
    13 posts in and the trusty "Limerick thread death spiral" begins... I'm out...

Are you contradicting me or yourself? Because only one of us mentioned NCR in a thread about Limerick city in general.
    13 posts in and the trusty "Limerick thread death spiral" begins... I'm out...
    I said to avoid apartments as a lot are badly built. You seemed to contradict by saying houses are also badly built. I reassured OP that the house I linked on NCR would be of high quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Fortmary Park is a fantastic area, near enough to good schools, shopping centre, supermarkets, butchers and of course the Gaelic Grounds:)

Can I ask if you are a native English speaker jetfighter, your written English would put the majority of the posters here to shame.

What about this place:

NCR is one of the nicest part of the city

Stefanovich thanks for the link. Will check this out.

Thanks for your comment Special Circumstances. I am sure we will come across badly built flats and houses. We will just have to be very careful while visiting places.

I said to avoid apartments as a lot are badly built. You seemed to contradict by saying houses are also badly built. I reassured OP that the house I linked on NCR would be of high quality.
    Thanks guys for all your comments. I do not want to bring any quarrel here but just need some advice.

Fortmary Park is a fantastic area, near enough to good schools, shopping centre, supermarkets, butchers and of course the Gaelic Grounds:)

Can I ask if you are a native English speaker jetfighter, your written English would put the majority of the posters here to shame.
    It does look like a very nice area indeed. Unfortunately, I cannot see anything for rent on daft.ie in Fort Mary Park. We will keep looking.
    I am not a native English speaker. I am Russian married to an Irish and our 2 children are dual nationals with perfectly Irish names though. My husband spent 8 years working in Moscow and decided to come back home (change of job) and we obviously have to follow him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭source

It does look like a very nice area indeed. Unfortunately, I cannot see anything for rent on daft.ie in Fort Mary Park. We will keep looking.
    I am not a native English speaker. I am Russian married to an Irish and our 2 children are dual nationals with perfectly Irish names though. My husband spent 8 years working in Moscow and decided to come back home (change of job) and we obviously have to follow him.

Have a look in the South Circular Road area, lots of apartments and houses, I'm living around half way along it, 15 minute walk to both the city centre and the crescent shopping centre.

there are a number of schools in the area too, as well as shops, butchers, pharmacy, restaurants. I love it here, usually there are a few properties to rent around here.

Just a quick warning that there is a college in the area and there are students some, but usually they're okay, with one or two exceptions I haven't had much trouble from them.

• Advertisement

Try the link I posted. That's fortmary park.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Hope your children keep up their Russian - so useful to have a second language.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Knit wit

You could consider Corbally ... Good primary school and secondary schools. Nice neighbourhood and walking distance to city.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,545 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Knit wit wrote: »
    You could consider Corbally ... Good primary school and secondary schools. Nice neighbourhood and walking distance to city.

I live in Corbally and yes, it's a nice area, but definitely contact Scoil Ide to find out if places are available. It's a good school and can have all places filled.

OP, maybe I missed it, but do you know where your husband will be working?

Hello,
    Thanks a lot for your comments and advice. It looks like we have found our new home in Limerick. We are quite happy with it and kids like it. It is in the area that came highly recommended here.
    Thanks again to everyone

Advertisement