Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Minecraft

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Cool, twas only a suggestion. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Bought this last night.. Its so addictive ill hop on your server later. :D

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Tried the server on Sunday but it was down.
    On a side note multiplay are now offering them as well, which shows the uptake the game has achieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

Have been trying to get it running as a service so :) need to spend some time getting it working

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

I love this game so much. i get lost in it for hours.

• Advertisement

Nice update coming for Halloween.

booh.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Best €9.99 I've spent in a long time.

A-Trak wrote: »
    Best €9.99 I've spent in a long time.
    Worst €9.99 I ever spent, can't get access to my PC cos the nippers are always playing it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Amalgam wrote: »
    I love the blocky feel of it. Reminds me of the first Dungeon Keeper game from Bullfrog.

I actually stopped playing DKII for this, I had started as I loved DKI so much, played it through many times, even converted the Avatar to my side (and glitched the game) and I am now addicted to minecraft.

Its a very similar draw, being able to build, dig and explore.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭flynnduism

Bought Minecraft about a week ago, completely addicted to it!
    Great game, despite it's simplicity.

Anyone have any good mining tips? Finding lots of Redstone Dust, but finding relatively little Iron and Gold despite carving out huge mines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭hacx

if you're just digging down, you're doing it wrong. stack up on supplies and go spelunking and see what you can find.

I was tunnelling straight down to the bedrock then exploring horizontally, was finding lots of Redstone but not much Iron & Gold.

Changed tactics a bit and dug around 10 blocks higher, having better luck on that level... still though takes a helluva lot of digging to find say, 5 pieces of iron ore

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

flynnduism wrote: »
    I was tunnelling straight down to the bedrock then exploring horizontally, was finding lots of Redstone but not much Iron & Gold.

Changed tactics a bit and dug around 10 blocks higher, having better luck on that level... still though takes a helluva lot of digging to find say, 5 pieces of iron ore

As mentioned earlier, Iron and gold are much easier to find by just exploring caves. Diamonds are really the only thing you need to mine heavily for (In my opinion)

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Hercule

theres a few tricks for easier mining in survival mode.

I build a 5x5 or 3x3 spiral staircase down to the absolute lowest possible (bedrock/lava)

Diamonds deposits will appear just above 2-4 blocks above the bottom - for those you should then dig horizontally from there.

Gold deposits are generally in dungeons or 4-5 blocks above the bottom
    Iron can be anywhere but is usually 2-7 blocks above the bottom - so find one set then dig horizontally for more of the same.

If you find lava you can try flood your mine at the top then close the flow of water off to create obsidian - this is especially easy if you use a 3x3 spiral staircase

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭SeanKev

Very addictive game.

The early stage of my base, built into the side of a mountain.

sz92f9.png

4vst9w.png

1qhfm0.png

Main room.

2uf67g8.png

Other room, acess to the mine.

2a4sin8.png

I like your fancy wooden flooring, very swish :D

I like your fancy wooden flooring, very swish :D

My save is corrupt. :eek: :(

Ugh, collected a dozen diamonds and about 70 iron ore, then fell into lava on my way back to the surface

:o

SeanKev wrote: »
    My save is corrupt. :eek: :(

Oh that's not good!

Happened me before - even though the game slot looked empty, it still loaded up my world ok - think the items I'd been carrying had vanished though...

I've taken to backing up my world via Dropbox every couple of days in case it happens again and vanishes for good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Is Red-stone dust 'found' or a result of being manufactured\smelted? I need a compass..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Amalgam wrote: »
    Is Red-stone dust 'found' or a result of being manufactured\smelted? I need a compass..

You mine it from redstone ore.

You can normally find it while caving, or it's down about the same level as iron when mining.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

oeb wrote: »
    You mine it from redstone ore.

You can normally find it while caving, or it's down about the same level as iron when mining.

Just to emphasise that unlike gold and iron, you directly get from redstone dust from mining. There's no intermediate smelting ore==>product step.

Oh, and you also need at least an iron tool to dig it with - wood and stone picks won't work.

P.

Cheers. Very zen game.. yet I suffer from 'new cavern anxiety' a lot, where a block is removed and there's just darkness.. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

440RV.png
    yUzj6.png

A mans home is his castle after all >.<

Nice castle!

Mine is still a work in progress, I havn't been on minecraft in about 5 days, feeling withdrawl!

fuegofuego.gif

Fun, travelled by boat for a good bit, stumbled across this, the lava hit the tree on the left, up in flames, then a single block of greenery touching from the right torched that tree. Passed a crop that looks like Runner beans or bamboo, must go back and have a look..

Great to see where this goes as a product, over the next year or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Hocker

My friend plays it, he's ALWAYS on about it, I should just get it to shut him up haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

A load of information on the halloween update:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/10/22/minecraft-halloween-update-preview-meet-the-ghasts/

Sounds well difficult now.

Personally i find the torches being exstinguished over time a massive nuisance for somebody who doesn't really play it enough.

Hopefully the hell realm thing isn't too difficult to get in and out of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭hacx

considering that the portals are made out of obsidian and you need a diamond pickaxe to mine it, it may be a bit of a bollox to getin there in the first place.

Advertisement