Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PRTB Registration

• 19-09-2011 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭

Pretty sure I know the answer here but I have just agreed a letting with a rental agency and they have sent me a summary of the charges needed before tenancy is taken up,

They have included the €90PRTB reg fee in this summary, as far as I understood this is the responsibility of the landlord and not the tenant?
    They have also included an agency fee of €30, Now i could probably stand to pay the agent fee but the €90=No way!!
    I like the place but this is €120 hidden charges essentially!
    I have always rented off private landlords in the past so have never come across this before, is this normal when renting with an agency and am I in the right to totally refuse to pay the €90?
    If they dont give the apartment to me can I report them for this prcatise of requesting this payment from the tenant?

Any informtaion or answers on this would be great,
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

CrazySka wrote: »
    Pretty sure I know the answer here but I have just agreed a letting with a rental agency and they have sent me a summary of the charges needed before tenancy is taken up,

They have included the €90PRTB reg fee in this summary, as far as I understood this is the responsibility of the landlord and not the tenant?
    They have also included an agency fee of €30, Now i could probably stand to pay the agent fee but the €90=No way!!
    I like the place but this is €120 hidden charges essentially!
    I have always rented off private landlords in the past so have never come across this before, is this normal when renting with an agency and am I in the right to totally refuse to pay the €90?
    If they dont give the apartment to me can I report them for this prcatise of requesting this payment from the tenant?

Any informtaion or answers on this would be great,
    Thanks!

Pay neither. They are the costs of the landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,236 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If you are the tenant, then no, you don't need to pay the PRTB.

If the agent is working for the landlord, you pay them nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭CrazySka

Thanks Zamboni and Victor, really appreciate the quick responses.
    I am shocked that they suggested these charges and they make me doubt the reliability and reputability of the letting agent to be honest.

I wont pay them and may lose the property as a result,in this case is there someone I can report this letting agent to?

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Keith in cork

I am shocked that they suggested these charges and they make me doubt the reliability and reputability of the letting agent to be honest.

I wont pay them and may lose the property as a result,in this case is there someone I can report this letting agent to?

Thanks again.

Make a copy of the forms, and send them to the PRTB. They'll go to town on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Clogsworth

Thanks again.

I think you can report that to the PRTB.
    The letting agents are chancing their arm as far as I can see because they will get a monthly letting fee from the landlord also. I deal with letting agents through work and the majority of them are thieves!

• Advertisement

Thanks all, I'll reprot back on this after I speak to letting agent.

Got this sorted, thanks everyone, still gonna report him once I'm in the place.

If I was unfamiliar with things or didnt know how to use this reource then he would have gotten this money out of me.

Really annoys me that some agents are still trying to pull things like this....

• Registered Users Posts: 78,236 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Find out if they belong to a professional organisation.

Advertisement