Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Selling a used car in Ireland guide

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Naive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Nice one: My 2000 1.4 Focus is now worth 5 times what I paid! :eek: Seller said it was only gonna go up in value, but I didn't realise by how much.

Only question is do I sell now or hold out longer hoping for an even higher amount :p

(I realise the site could well be useful, but I do find it a little funny how far off it was).

On a more serious note, I think you do have to have a car insured by somebody before you bring it out on the road for any kind of drive, but in reality, I doubt this is ever really the case. I'd imagine most test drivers are uninsured and I doubt m/any would bother transferring their insurance for a 10 minute spin about.

That said, that whole 'driver other people's cars' thing you can get on your policy; even if you didn't have it, surely an insurance company would cover you for 2-3 days like that if you told them you were replacing your car, at little or no extra cost to you? (obviously the 'open drive' policy would have to expire a day or two after it starts or you could just be taking the p*ss, but surely most insurance companies wouldn't be too bothered by a few days for you to get around to buying something different?).

Or am I being naive?

Firstly to clear up some of the confusion on the DOC extension. For the DOC extension to be valid, the vehicle being driven MUST be insured in its own right by another person, typically the owner and be driven with the owners permission.

The main reason for this is that if you get out of the vehicle at any stage whilst you are on the road, ie park it outside your house or at a petrol station, the vehicle is then uninsured which is an offence. The DOC extension only provides cover to the vehicle whilst you are physically in it. I'm a claims manager for one of the insurers mentioned in this thread and I can tell you from frequent personal experience, the insurers are hot on this one.

I don't know of any insurers that will add DOC to your policy even short term if you haven't already got it. Again, DOC is normally given automatically if you fit their criteria (normally age or licence status) and if you qualify, you have it, if you don't then you just don't and they won't make an exception.

Another point to note is that DOC is 'third party only' even if your own policy is fully comp. it doesn't cover accidental damage to the vehicle you are driving on a fault accident and it won't cover theft or fire, the latter two will be covered by the owner or primary insurer of the vehicle. It will cover injury to any passengers in your vehicle or the vehicle you hit as they are all classed as third parties.

It's all in the small print but if in doubt, give your insurers a buzz.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

I'm not sure if you cleared up the confusion or added to it.

Some insurers (I'd say most) do not require the car driven under DOC to be insured by the owner. If it's stolen, tough luck. Of course you need the owner's permission

Then, you probably don't work for AXA, I hear they offer DOC fully Comp after a certain number of years...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭beer enigma

rocky wrote: »
    I'm not sure if you cleared up the confusion or added to it.

Some insurers (I'd say most) do not require the car driven under DOC to be insured by the owner. If it's stolen, tough luck. Of course you need the owner's permission

Then, you probably don't work for AXA, I hear they offer DOC fully Comp after a certain number of years...

AXA is one exception with regards to comp DOC if you are over 22 with three years no claims then they will offer it 'at their discretion' so I take your point on that. Its difficult to keep up with all of the insurers rules, so again a quick phone call is probably best.

Interestingly enough, your post actually raised another thought with me in that its an offence to drive a vehicle which doesnt display a valid insurance disc. surely if you're driving an uninsured vehicle under DOC then you are running a risk of points as you have no way of diplaying a disc. Took the liberty of phoning a contact in traffic division and they have confirmed that you could be prosecuted and you cannot use your own disc on the other vehicle.

Bit of a minefield

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Selling my old yoke shortly, wasn't there something a few years ago that after selling your car privately that you were still responsible for a while afterwards if something went wrong or does that just apply to garage sales.

• Advertisement

Garage sales.

Unless you're selling a death trap and you know it's a death trap once it goes outside you're gate sin sin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭black & white

Just managed to sell my wife's 01 Micra on Donedeal, put it up on Monday night and it was sold by lunchtime on Wed. Just an observation though, for a fiver you get up to 10 photos included in the price and I couldn't believe the number of people selling a similar car who put up 3 or 4 photos only ! FFS 'tis as easy to put up 10 as 4. The other thing is people are looking for way over what the things are worth. I was very happy with donedeal, first time user and it couldn't have beeneasier.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭crookesa

If I fix all the problems I know of on the car before I sell it what guarantee do I need to provide to the buyer? Just afraid they'll come back with more issues that didn't exist before.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 ReDdevil87

I sold a car just today, well it was more of a swap(not for another car though). However, when we were arranging the details the guy sent me a message and in it he said his name dave but when giving me his details he said his name was dale, he had no id at the time. He seemed perfectly honest and a nice bloke and gave me his address, but the dave-dale thing just got me thinking. Any input from you guys would be nice.

Did you ask him to confirm whether his name was Dave or dale? Would be auto correct or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 ReDdevil87

Its possible alright, when giving me his details he clearly said Dale. I have text him there a few minutes ago but it was late so will prob receive a text tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,288 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Time to get the Octavia back on the road and sell it.

2002 1.4 Ambient 123,000 miles

Sorting nct and insurance and 3 months tax after clearing back tax for when selling it should leave a pita.

Spose cheapest way is to swap insurance from focus and commute in it while its upfor sale and swap back when sold

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Folks
    Any pointers on my ad?
    Anything to improve it or make it stand out?

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-mondeo-st-tdci-2006/5155886

• Registered Users Posts: 7,288 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Integra skyline gti fr twin cam jetta type r levin bales of hay

Miser on Juice/Will run on the shmell of it.

Great boo, can fit 2 calves in the back.

Lost logbook, needs small repair(front end smashed in)

No timewasters/no cash no drive no cash no tea

1 careful Lady owner (Call Fred on 087-xxxxxxxx)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You won't sell it unless you say 'first to see will buy'

colm_mcm wrote: »
    You won't sell it unless you say 'first to see will buy'

That's if count 1, 1, 1, 1

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭comanche_cor

Anyone got any advice on my ad - am not getting much interest. It is just a car with limited appeal, my ad or the price?

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-320i-e46/4910385

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭faral

Anyone got any advice on my ad - am not getting much interest. It is just a car with limited appeal, my ad or the price?

Thanks
    everything is fine with ur ad but the car u r selling has a big engine plus this is bmw....like honda I would it touch it unless I know owner. This car screams out "please mate abuse me, more power,please". Although car maybe in good order all over. Plus reliability of older bmw's is not so great compared to old jap cars. its 12yo so anything can happen and possible repair won't cost peanuts :/I have a lad and he bought 2 months ago bmw coupe with papers and very well maintained inside but to his disastrous surprise car has an engine leak....and instead of driving it he is saving money for mechanics.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Thanks

There's nothing wrong with the ad anyway.

Looks a fine car.

If it was a 5 series it would have more appeal.

Its just wrong time to be selling a 12 year old 2.2 petrol car.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the feedback - not sure what to do to get this car to shift. Have tried to pitch the ad so that it gets across the message that this can has not been ragged about the place (which it has not).

Apart from that I am not sure what to do, I want to shift the car (gonna be every sorry to see this car go tbh) as my daughter is about to learn to drive and I don't want her to learn in this car (insurance and my nerves) - is price is ok?

@Limerick man - when was the right time to sell one, about 9 years ago? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,486 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Thanks
    The big problem I see with your ad is there being no photo of the passenger side of the car.

Fair play you put a lot of effort in but the first thing people will wonder is why you have no photo of that side of the car.

6 years at least, lol

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

Any feedback welcome re my adv. I'm not getting much interest at all.
    http://www.adverts.ie/2840980

Put it on donedeal

• Registered Users Posts: 37,486 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

phkk wrote: »
    Any feedback welcome re my adv. I'm not getting much interest at all.
    http://www.adverts.ie/2840980
    Well the obvious thing is no talk of NCT or is it taxed. Also the price seems a but high to me, I wouldn't expect to pay anymore than 6.5k for one of those and it would have to be in great shape for me to part with that much for it.

eagle eye wrote: »
    The big problem I see with your ad is there being no photo of the passenger side of the car.

Fair play you put a lot of effort in but the first thing people will wonder is why you have no photo of that side of the car.

Thanks - will retake the pics tonight and get that pic in, also missing a pic of the interior ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Liv77

I am selling my car on Done Deal and have been contacted by an interested party via email, to cut a long story short the interested party wants to buy the car, same person is out of the country for the foreseeable future and wants to pay me via Paypal and have a transport company collect the car for him. Has anyone ever sold anything this way before? All replies are grateful..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭SRFC

Sounds legit

A5C67BA7-C7B7-4AED-9D91-5D5593E46230_extra.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭dardhal

SRFC wrote: »
    Sounds legit

Well, I am not sure, but is it possible for a guy to transfer some money to your PayPal account and later on backpedal, leaving you with no car and no money at all? Not that the story checks or looks right, but as long as the owner's certificate gets sent to the motor tax office and change of ownership is completed, theoretically, once the money is in your PayPal account, what could go wrong?

Anyways, now that I am trying myself to get rid of my car I am starting to realize how bizarre buying and selling cars privately here can be. Most people basically not reading the ads at all, people ringing you despite having said not to initially (for example, because you are too busy at work), lads offering even less for a perfectly working vehicle (even NCT'ed and tax'ed) than what you could get at the scrap yard by weight, etc.

I am afraid mine will go the way of the scrap yard next week, as I prefer to get 150€ from someone ripping it to pieces and recycling it, than 300€ from someone which is simply going to book the NCT, add 1000€ to the price tag afterwards, and wait patiently for someone to give him a "nice" profit.

Advertisement