Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buying a used car in Ireland guide

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Bombbastic22

Esel wrote: »
    Meaning you will pay for the repairs, or you will kick some guy called Bill? :confused::D

No cheeky! :)

He means he will give me my money back if things go wrong!!

LM - pm'ing my paypal acount details shortly!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Best of luck with the motor!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,297 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Great thread Limerick man. Was dreading going out and prentending I knew what to look for. Now it looks like I'm an expert! :rolleyes:

I went into geek mode and converted all the info in this thread to a questionnaire-type format that you can copy/paste into a Text Document and use it for each car you look at.

Happy hunting everyone! :)

Initial question when calling! I'm enquiring about the car you have for sale.

Car:____________________________________

Mileage:_________________________________

Price:___________________________________

Phone Number: ___________________________

1.Reason for sale:_________________________________________________

2. How long have you had the car? _________________

3. How many owners has it had?_________________

4.Is there any outstanding finance on the vehicle? Yes/No

5.When was the last full service carried out on the vehicle? _______________

6.Has the car been imported and if so, have all relevant charges been paid (VAT, VRT etc)?

7.Do you have documented service history? Yes/No

8.Has the car ever been in an accident? Yes/No

9.Is the mileage displayed correct? Yes/No

10.Viewing Date/Time: ______________________

11.Owner's Name: _______________________________

12.Are you the registered owner of the car? Yes/No

13.I will need to see some photo ID at the viewing.

14.Address: _______________________________________________________

Before Viewing – Car History Check

www.motorcheck.ie or www.cartell.ie

Viewing

Visual

1.All panels fit? Yes/No
    2.Any unusual gaps? Yes/No
    3.Is car symetrical? Yes/No
    4.Paintwork same throughout? Yes/No
    5.Tyres – Thread even? Known brand?
    6.Keys – how many sets?
    7.Boot Check - Is it damp inside and pockets either side? Yes/No
    8.Lift Carpet
    9.Spare Wheel - is it there? Thread ok?
    10.Locknut there? Yes/No
    11.Tools there? Yes/No
    12.Boot closes ok? Does it line up?
    13.Original Badges there? Yes/No
    14.Do they look like they've always been there?
    15.Bonnet Check –
    16.Front left/right bars creased? Yes/No
    17.Any rust inside? Yes/No
    18.Look at the bolts that hold the wings in. Do they look like they’ve been removed? Do both wings line up with the lights and the bumpers on both sides?
    19.Timing Belt – Has it been done? (if the car has one). This is normally marked in white tipex either on the engine cover or somewhere around the engine bay. If this hasn’t been done (Zafira every 40,000k) ask the owner about it. If they can’t prove when it was done take into account that this will have to be done, this is a very important part of the engine and can be very expensive to do (and can require a new or rebuilt engine if it snaps.).

Oil Check:

Wipe dip stick
    1.Level? Up near max? Yes/No
    2.Colour? Black/Golden/Creamy coffee colour – Golden good, all others bad!

Windows Check:

1. Do all numbers match on sides/front/back? Yes/No

Numberplates Check:
    Is there one new and one old numberplate? Or two new ones? If there is one new numplate take note of the bumper, does it look freshly painted? One new numberplate could easily be because one fell off, but more often than not, the old one was damaged. All ok? Yes/No

Interior Check:

1.Driver's seat Bolster worn?
    2.Steering wheel worn?
    3.Handbrake worn?
    4.Pull seat belt out – release – Fast/slow?
    5.Carpet damp? Under pedals/Under dash?
    6.Buttons – push every button in/out
    7.Radio – Turn on/off – Volume up/down – CD Player working?
    8.Lights on/off – Dip/Full ok?
    9.Indicators
    10.Seats – push back/forward – up and down

Turn Engine on:

1.First Click – all lights lit? Yes/No All lights go out?
    2.Airbag Light – different sequence to Oil light?
    3.Engine starts first time? Yes/No
    4.Any unreasonable sounds? Yes/No

Start car/Test Drive – at least fifteen minutes:

1.Rev car up all gears and down all gears.
    2.High Rev – any blue smoke?
    3.Test brakes – soft stop. Hard stop – Any weird feeling? Do the wheels wobble badly?
    4.Air Conditioning working?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

/\

Don't get suckered into the tippex thing, some cnuts write false info on the cambelt cover. I always want to see a invoice or parts invoices to back up a belt change.

Also, check the coolant, is it fresh and coloured? any oily shyte/gunk in the coolant (very important to check and when making an appointment respectfully as for the car to be cold when you arrive to allow you to start it up from cold, easy to check coolant then etc. Also, on test drive, geat the car up to temperature and see where the temp guage sits.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,297 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

MidlandsM wrote: »
    /\

Don't get suckered into the tippex thing, some cnuts write false info on the cambelt cover. I always want to see a invoice or parts invoices to back up a belt change.

Also, check the coolant, is it fresh and coloured? any oily shyte/gunk in the coolant (very important to check and when making an appointment respectfully as for the car to be cold when you arrive to allow you to start it up from cold, easy to check coolant then etc. Also, on test drive, geat the car up to temperature and see where the temp guage sits.

Can you please explain to me how you get the car up to temperature. Never had a temperature guage before! :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭gazmc18

Just drive it, after ten min the gauge should be up to its normal place.
    1.Reason for sale?

I would take this question out, at least as your no1 question anyway. It will not benefit you in any way by asking it.

gazmc18 wrote: »
    Just drive it, after ten min the gauge should be up to its normal place.

I would take this question out, at least as your no1 question anyway. It will not benefit you in any way by asking it.

yeah, a good test drive for over 20 mins will take it up to temp.
    Re; reason for sale question, no harm in asking, but i like to eyeball the vendor when asking this just to see if they hesitate and to study their body language, which is something you cant do over the phone.;)

/\

I thought i mentioned somewhere about looking out for fresh tippex on a car that was supposed to have had it belt done 20k miles ago etc.
    Re; reason for sale question, no harm in asking, but i like to eyeball the vendor when asking this just to see if they hesitate and to study their body language, which is something you cant do over the phone.;)

+1

The reason you ask them the reason for sale is because you ask them twice, once on the phone and once out of the blue in person, the stories might not add up ;)

Re; reason for sale question, no harm in asking, but i like to eyeball the vendor when asking this just to see if they hesitate and to study their body language, which is something you cant do over the phone
    The reason you ask them the reason for sale is because you ask them twice, once on the phone and once out of the blue in person, the stories might not add up wink.gif

Its a great idea doing up a checklist for someone buying a car for the first time dont get me wrong here, and a great thread too btw.

Just pointing out regarding the checklist that you could probaly ask the sellers name even before reason for selling car.

You are only presuming that this is also the 1st time the seller is selling a car and has no experience at it either. For example I sell cars for a living, if say i wanted to sell dodgy cars (which i dont btw) i would give the same reason for selling a car to every person. (eg iam selling the car because my granny is in a nursing home and i need to sell the car to fund it). So when you do ask me why am I selling it wouldnt phase me because ive been belting out the same story for possibly 2 years to people and i would have it down to a tee. (hope i explained this ok?).
    I just dont want people here thinking that if the reason for selling seems ok that the car is probaly ok too.

Also midlands to someone who sells motors fulltime i honestly cant see an eyeballing phasing them, they will probaly of come accross a lot worse than that in their time. These tricks might work on some dodgy young fella trying to pawn you off a junker but id imagine you would of figured that out as soon as you see him/his car.

Again lads i hope i dont come accross as being harsh here as i dont mean to be. Everyone is coming up with good ideas here, iam just trying to be constructive too.:D

Just pointing out regarding the checklist that you could probaly ask the sellers name even before reason for selling car.

I'm fairly sure asking someone's name comes naturally and doesn't need to be wrote down ;)
    You are only presuming that this is also the 1st time the seller is selling a car and has no experience at it either.

No, it's actually to try catch out people that are otherwise trying to sell off a dodgey motor.
    For example I sell cars for a living, if say i wanted to sell dodgy cars (which i dont btw) i would give the same reason for selling a car to every person. (eg iam selling the car because my granny is in a nursing home and i need to sell the car to fund it). So when you do ask me why am I selling it wouldnt phase me because ive been belting out the same story for possibly 2 years to people and i would have it down to a tee. (hope i explained this ok?).

That's possibly the worst excuse I've ever heard and I'd hang up on someone if they gave me that!
    I just dont want people here thinking that if the reason for selling seems ok that the car is probaly ok too.

The reason for selling obviously isn't the only contributing factor to make the it a legitimate sale, but people use such excuses as "Going to America, need quick sale" when in reality the car is a ball of ****e and the closest the seller will get to America is how far West he has to walk to his bed at night!

• Advertisement

I'm fairly sure asking someone's name comes naturally and doesn't need to be wrote down
    Agreed. But its number 11 on the checklist.
    No, it's actually to try catch out people that are otherwise trying to sell off a dodgey motor
    My point being that this question wont catch out an experienced car seller.
    That's possibly the worst excuse I've ever heard and I'd hang up on someone if they gave me that!
    Again you missed my point, i only used that as an example. My point was that a guy who sells cars for a living could be using the same excuse for selling his car to peaople on a daily basis for years, so this "reason for selling" question wouldnt make him bat an eyelid.

Theres no harm in asking it, I just dont think its of benefit. Especially not as no1 question on the checklist

midlands to someone who sells motors fulltime i honestly cant see an eyeballing phasing them, they will probaly of come accross a lot worse than that in their time. These tricks might work on some dodgy young fella trying to pawn you off a junker but id imagine you would of figured that out as soon as you see him/his car.

Again lads i hope i dont come accross as being harsh here as i dont mean to be. Everyone is coming up with good ideas here, iam just trying to be constructive too.:D

ohhh, thanks for the insight ohhh experienced one......lol:D

Agreed. But its number 11 on the checklist.

Not my checklist but it's not a minus to have it there.

My point being that this question wont catch out an experienced car seller.

We don't get experienced sellers over here, we mostly get chancers.

Again you missed my point, i only used that as an example. My point was that a guy who sells cars for a living could be using the same excuse for selling his car to peaople on a daily basis for years, so this "reason for selling" question wouldnt make him bat an eyelid.

Theres no harm in asking it, I just dont think its of benefit. Especially not as no1 question on the checklist

Most people who do sell cars for a living will tell you after chatting to them for a few mins that they buy and sell the odd car here and there, or say it in some way vague. I've never come across someone that blatantly lies and has a bs excuse, because it's very easy spot out and chat a liar.

Not my checklist but it's not a minus to have it there.

It was the other checklist that was printed above that I was talking about. Nah its not a minus, leave it there I just dont see the point in it thats all. Its such a small detail theres no point going on about it anymore. My fault for bringing it up in the 1st place tbh.
    We don't get experienced sellers over here, we mostly get chancers.

I thought this was for dealing with dealers too. (i know a lot of these are chancers too).
    Most people who do sell cars for a living will tell you after chatting to them for a few mins that they buy and sell the odd car here and there, or say it in some way vague. I've never come across someone that blatantly lies and has a bs excuse, because it's very easy spot out and chat a liar

Again not really what i was getting at. But your right it can be easy to spot, then there are other guys that are good at it and could sell Ice to an Eskimo.
    BUt in fairness even the honest dealers out there are not going to shoot themselves in the foot. If someone asks why did the person trade-in the car? the dealer is not going to say because they hated it and it gave them trouble so they wanted rid of it. He will say something like they traded up to the newer model or something similar. Iam not saying i do it myself but again iam just using it as an example.
    Unless you can read minds you can never be 100% sure its the truth or not.

You got to look at the car and its history on its own merits.Some sellers will tell you its the best car ever made and its in great nick etc. Sometimes Its not because they are trying to con you, its because they generally believe it themselves that its a fantastic car. They just dont have a clue what they are talking about.

You got to look at the car and its history on its own merits.Some sellers will tell you its the best car ever made and its in great nick etc. Sometimes Its not because they are trying to con you, its because they generally believe it themselves that its a fantastic car. They just dont have a clue what they are talking about.

Impossible to look at a car and it's own merits when it's just been serviced, fully valeted and polished ;)

Impossible to look at a car and it's own merits when it's just been serviced, fully valeted and polished

Hows that?

If its clean you can see if its been painted a lot easier, or any marks/dents etc. You can also see how well the interior comes up.

You can check to see if it has a service history.

You can spot any leaks etc.

Hows that?

If its clean you can see if its been painted a lot easier, or any marks/dents etc. You can also see how well the interior comes up.

You can check to see if it has a service history.

You can spot any leaks etc.

You're being niave, we've hundreds of scrap yards for reasons. It's easy get new seats, interiors, panels, etc. I'd have a very good eye for spotting a crashed cars and it's still hard.

Best time to view a car is at night anyway.

:D

:D

I was being serious!

Forget the :D. You deserve one of these:eek:.

You know this wumming could be taken as gospel by someone going to buy a motor;)

• Advertisement

I'm telling you, the best time to view a car is at night/dusk, you'll see alot more than you'll ever see. I'm saying this from experience not from seeing reading the internet.

Lol

Iam not falling for it Limerickman!!

Lol

Iam not falling for it Limerickman!!

May I be stuck dead by lightning tomorrow, it's the god honest truth. Marks etc. are so much more visable under dusk lighting, or under a flash lamp/steet lighting. Look at your own car as dusk tomorrow ;)

May I be stuck dead by lightning tomorrow, it's the god honest truth. Marks etc. are so much more visable under dusk lighting, or under a flash lamp/steet lighting. Look at your own car as dusk tomorrow ;)

Whilst this is your own experience and particular talent, I don't think its a practice to advocate. I ALWAYS advise anyone NEVER to look at a car in the DARK OR THE WET. It's deeply erronious to advise otherwise imho.

Wet, never. Dark is completely different, I've seen many, many cars, and I know for a fact that I've seen alot more under a streetlight/with a flash lamp than I've seen in broad day light.

I'm not saying people to only meet people at night, for the average car buyer stick to daylight, I'm just saying from my personal experience which is what this thread is!

Wet, never. Dark is completely different, I've seen many, many cars, and I know for a fact that I've seen alot more under a streetlight/with a flash lamp than I've seen in broad day light.

I'm not saying people to only meet people at night, for the average car buyer stick to daylight, I'm just saying from my personal experience which is what this thread is!

Mad, you're totally Mad LM...:pac:

Mad, you're totally Mad LM...:pac:

Take out your car in dusk!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Take out your car in dusk!

I've a sneaking suspicion he didn't or else he did and cannot own up to agreeing with you:D

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    I've a sneaking suspicion he didn't or else he did and cannot own up to agreeing with you:D

errmm, no, I was too busy today selling jammerz to respond.;)
    Re; looking at cars at near nightfall, total bollox..........LOL:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Slushfund

One thing I do know, paint defects, any resprayed areas etc. show up really easily under yellow streetlights etc., other than that, until I become as expert as Limerick Man, I think I still prefer looking at cars in the dry daylight.

Advertisement