Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Just found this online https://www.ros.ie/VRTEnquiryServlet/showVRT handy tool indeed.

Also handy for valuing cars aswell.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Just found it? It has been posted in several threads here over the last few months (including in a post in this thread to which you replied! - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2241301&postcount=44).

LOL! my bad sorry

Bond-007 wrote:
    LOL! may bad sorry
    You are losing it Brian - take a holiday!

kbannon wrote:
    You are losing it Brian - take a holiday!
    Brian?

• Advertisement

Bond-007 wrote:
    Brian?
    LOL - Jaysus, Im losing it myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Ruatha wrote:
    No, I think you are "obliged" to register the car ASAP, but plenty of people put it off as long as possible.
    If you have a UK address and UK licence you can get away with driving a UK car in Ireland until you're busted and told to go and pay the VRT! I'll be bringing a car over this Summer - I haven't bought it yet. I've been living in the UK for four years now and I want to bring a decent car back that hasn't cost me the earth. I'll drive it on UK plates for as long as I can get away with it, and hopefully after 6 months I can register it without paying the dreaded VRT since I'll have owned it long enough. I plan to keep a bank account and permanent address in the UK anyway, so hopefully I can beat the system!!

ul b grand, u have up to a year to reg it here. best to reg it when u come back for safety sake. i believe they ask a lot of questions. youl need tax returns, utility bills, council tax stubs, and bank accounts with account spending details etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Ruatha

@ Ruatha - having a UK address and bank account is not enough. Is there much activity on the bank account? Where are your mobile phone bills going to & where are the calls made? What about utility bills?

Well if I do get charged, I won't be taking it lightly. We're all members of the EU - a supposed "community". It's ridiculous that anyone should have to pay to take a car from one member country to another :mad:
    What do you think they would do if people refused to pay and threatened to take it to the European Courts??? If enough people took a stand something would have to give!

R*

Ruatha wrote:
    Well if I do get charged, I won't be taking it lightly. We're all members of the EU - a supposed "community". It's ridiculous that anyone should have to pay to take a car from one member country to another :mad:
    What do you think they would do if people refused to pay and threatened to take it to the European Courts??? If enough people took a stand something would have to give!

R*
    Irrelevant issue as far as protesting to the EU is concerned as each country is allowed decide their own tax rates. Ireland has opted for a high rate of tax on vehicles and a low corporation tax.
    As for people taking a stand, everyone in this country was giving out about FF & the PDs before the last general election and look who they voted for instead!

Once you have imported a car into the country, you not supposed to sell it for a year right?

Does anyone know if this means that ownership of the car cannot be changed too, even if the car is not sold, but just changes hands?? For example a mother giving the car to her daughter.

R*

• Advertisement

Ruatha wrote:
    Once you have imported a car into the country, you not supposed to sell it for a year right?

Does anyone know if this means that ownership of the car cannot be changed too, even if the car is not sold, but just changes hands?? For example a mother giving the car to her daughter.

R*
    you can't i'm afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

You can only not sell the vehicle for 12 months if you have claimed exemption on the VRT. Earlier in this thread someone else mentions about keeping cars for a few moths after importing then selling on...

http://www.oasis.gov.ie/moving_country/moving_to_ireland/importing_car_into_ireland.html[/URL]

Quote from the above site:
    "NOTE: If you are moving to Ireland and are among those exempt from paying VRT you cannot sell your vehicle for more than 12 months after the vehicle is registered.

If you are required to pay VRT, then you can sell your vehicle here in Ireland when you wish, once it has been registered. Further information is available from your local VRO."

"NOTE: If you are moving to Ireland and are among those exempt from paying VRT you cannot sell your vehicle for more than 12 months after the vehicle is registered.

Ok, but what if you didn't want to sell it, but were simply giving it to someone - a family member for example? ;) Would a change of ownership be allowed in this instance?

R*

nope, sorry.

nope, sorry

Why not, no-one is profiting from it and I thought that was why they didn't want people selling fresh imports?

R*

Ruatha wrote:
    Why not, no-one is profiting from it and I thought that was why they didn't want people selling fresh imports?

R*
    Why not? Because the revenue aren't stupid!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭ambro25

Well, I'm going through all this at the moment.

I've got two UK cars, 1 of which I've owned for more than 6 months in UK. Now moved residence and wanting to IE-reg'it that one first without paying VRT. I've filed the relevant forms and copies of various bills etc. at VRO.
    I'll let you all know how it goes from 'authority', as and when Tallaght VRO decides to get their thumb out of their *rse and follow up on the application (it's been 4 weeks already!).

Well, I'm going through all this at the moment.

Please keep us informed!!

R* :)

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Robertr

Getting a few questions from people who want to have a go at making some money selling imported cars. Here are a few tips I would suggest:

- I always compare the price to the lowest price on I can find in Ireland to see if you can make any money.
    - Make sure that you include a budget for travel and expenses plus the advertising cost when you are calculating any potential profit
    - GET AN INSPECTION DONE! I won't even go into the problems this can cause.
    - Try to get low mileage, if someone has to choose between a new car with high mileage and an older one with low mileage they will nearly always go for the low mileage car as that is really what effects the age of the car. Not the amount of time since it was built.
    - Do your research, if there are loads of cars of the same type for sale I would not bother with it. If there are only a few it can mean two things, either the car is in demand or there are not many around because not many were bought new.
    - DON'T BE GREEDY - this is the biggest mistake most people make. If you think that you might sell the car and make €5,000 profit then settle for €2,000 and sell it quick! Better to sell three cars in a month and make €2,000 each then sell one and make €5,000.
    - Get a Dublin reg. People in Dublin are strange about having a D reg. I'm not sure why. You don't want to eliminate that much of the market straight away. When registering the car just put an address of someone you know in Dublin. They will send the registration to that address. Then just do a change of address to your own if you are holding on to the car for a while.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Hi guys,

I'd be interested on your advice for the following,
    If I bring in a car from the UK or from the north, NI, not the north pole,
    and scrap it for the engine and gearbox, am I liable for vrt on it.

Thanks
    kadman :)

• Advertisement

No. VRT is not an import tax. It is a tax that you have to pay to register your car to drive on Irish roads (get and Irish Reg).

If you are only using the Engine and gearbox then you won't need to register the car and no VRT is payable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Robertr wrote:
    No. VRT is not an import tax. It is a tax that you have to pay to register your car to drive on Irish roads (get and Irish Reg).

If you are only using the Engine and gearbox then you won't need to register the car and no VRT is payable.

There might be some other form of tax though? :confused:

There might be some other form of tax though? :confused:

What other tax. It would be a 7 year old car, not newer than that.

kadman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

kadman wrote:
    What other tax. It would be a 7 year old car, not newer than that.

kadman

You're importing 2nd hand parts.

No choice...you try getting a replacement engine , and gearbox for a 1.6.ie tempra...

Yeah I know....Fiat..I've heard all the gags before so spare me ..please.
    Time does not allow me to repair my own, quicker to do a swap.

I'm restoring my beetle as well at the same time, so I am up to my rrrr's.

I'll take a home grown tempra then if you have one

No other taxes once it is from inside the EU.

Music to my ears. Robertr.

Thanks guys for taking the time to post.

Finally got meeting at VRO re. the UK Maz' -> an IE Maz' (hopefully) without paying VRT. Wednesday AM next week, so stay tuned ;)

Job done.

Got my RF100 and no VRT paid.

The VRT exemption is not a myth, it does work - but you have to give a lot of evidence (they nearly asked for my blood type... nearly! :D).

Just waiting for statistical code from Rosslare now to get an IE registration number (I told you mine was the only MX-5 Berkeley in the Republic!). Then off to get my plates, road tax and sort the NCT out.

Insurance was obtained through Tesco, about €1000 fully-comp' and given a month to provide all official IE details (interestingly, apparently very few IE insurers do convertibles. But that's for the small story).

So that's that. For the thread's purpose, therefore:
    1) be good with your paperwork at home, archive everything (bills, bank statements, P60s - virtually anything that shows you were o/seas over 6 months prior to coming over)
    2) obviously, all paperwork for the car since bought, including the V5 and preferably the dated receipt of purchase in the UK as well as old UK insurance certificate
    3) fill in your IE forms (RF100 and the transfer of residence one, C&E 1077 rev 2)
    4) call a VRO and get a 'case officer'
    5) mail that to him/her with photocopies of all the 'evidence'
    6) wait for the appointment
    7) attend the appointment with any more evidence if they have required it when booking the appointment
    8) done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

9) Flog your newly legal convertible and retire on the proceeds

:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement