Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Opinions on 2011/2012 BMW 520 Auto M-Sport?

• 22-01-2019 8:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,905 ✭✭✭

What’s the general consensus on these with folks around here? Love the look of them myself and thinking about crossing the water to pick up one in the near future? Something with around 60-70K on the clock. Any obvious issues common to the model?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

A few issues alright.

Google 'F10 yellow gromet', water ingress is an issue, easy enough to rectify but you don't want a car where this has failed. Door membranes can fail with similar issues.

Corrosion on door edges, well documented caused by the alu door skin interacting with the steel door. BMW are sorting this under warranty, but could be sticky on an older import. Can be seen on cars as young as 2016.

You are in timing chain terratory as well, it may have been done, FSH is essential.

Bit of a minefield so take your time, there are millions of them out there.

F10 values are dropping fast so bargains to be had. But buying is the easy part, make sure you are happy to spend money on it, and nothing is cheap on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,069 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Exploding engines in the 520....check out your insurance on a 530d instead it's probably not much extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,905 ✭✭✭dodzy

Exploding engines in the 520....check out your insurance on a 530d instead it's probably not much extra.

I take it the 530D is a different animal? Any such issues with this block?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

autobox : seals fail between labyrynth and main body - drain oil, drop pan, drop labyrynth
    can crack clutch - rip it out

you can buy bits now for them though, bmw used only stock the whole gearbox app ! 6k kthxbye

gctest50 wrote: »
    autobox : seals fail between labyrynth and main body - drain oil, drop pan, drop labyrynth
    can crack clutch - rip it out

you can buy bits now for them though, bmw used only stock the whole gearbox app ! 6k kthxbye

In fairness problems with the ZF 8HP are very rare, it would be the least of my concerns on a low milleage car like the OP is considering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Ah the ZF comedy gearbox, the seals are 4 bits of rubber hose shoved up a tunnel

You'd need to do seals now to prevent hassle later, and you can clean the mess off the sensor and replace the sump filter and little electrical connector, the oil change won't do it any harm either

It's very easy nothing in the way, do it before it shows errors and it'll be grand

dodzy wrote: »
    I take it the 530D is a different animal? Any such issues with this block?

On my second 530, have not had one engine issue. Mrs wouldn't let me buy a 520 after seeing the BBC documentary on them.
    Effortless power....only have had the usual were and tear suspension, brakes etc fixed.
    Have my 2010 F10 up for sale at the moment, save you a trip to England if it's not to old but it's not an msport, has everything you'll find on an msport and more though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I recently picked up a 2012 520d M-Sport, and very nice it is too.
    Full BMW service history though no sign of the TB being done.
    I do have a 12 month warranty which includes the TB so hopefully all will be well.
    No signs of corrosion or other common problems either, aside from a bootlid that tries to take my arm off every time it opens because the spring dampers are gone and one of the vents has lost a few vanes, these are being sorted by the dealer I bought it from.

You don't have a timing belt, nice of them to throw it in.

Best way to ensure a long life chain is annual oil changes, not the 24 month intervals BMW suggest. Hence documented SH is crucial with these cars. The iDrive should reveal all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,101 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'm on my 3rd F10 auto and none of them had issues with the ZF8 gearbox, it's also one of the smoothest autos you can get. Timing chain would be a concern with a 2012 vintage 520d, look for evidence of regular oil changes of at least once a year which can reduce the risk of a rattling/failing timing chain. M Sport will have the stiffer suspension so give it a good test drive to make sure you can live with it. Also try and get the best spec for your money - widescreen display, xenon headlights, etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

You don't have a timing belt, nice of them to throw it in.

Timing Chain... You know what I mean.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Timing Chain... You know what I mean.

That's an engine out job, if they offered to do it great but if the chap said belt he doesn't realise what's involved. Not sure what the current Indy price is to do that job and the tensioners but it's no simple job, I'd assume it's 2k minimum. By right it should last the life of the engine. I've never changed a timing chain in a beamer yet in over 20yr driving them.
    Double check it with them and get it in writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

On my second 530, have not had one engine issue. Mrs wouldn't let me buy a 520 after seeing the BBC documentary on them.
    Effortless power....only have had the usual were and tear suspension, brakes etc fixed.
    Have my 2010 F10 up for sale at the moment, save you a trip to England if it's not to old but it's not an msport, has everything you'll find on an msport and more though.

530 has exactly the same chain setup as the 520, the only thing that helps them is the higher oil capacity

Failure is pretty much unheard of in the 6 cylinders, 530, 535, 730 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

Failure is pretty much unheard of in the 6 cylinders, 530, 535, 730 etc.

It still happens but the larger oil capacity is really what keeps them alive. Parts wise they are identical in every way to a 520d

rex-x wrote: »
    It still happens but the larger oil capacity is really what keeps them alive. Parts wise they are identical in every way to a 520d

It's a problem with the 4 cylinders unless you can provide a few examples of 6 cylinder owners up in arms. It doesn't happen.

It's a problem with the 4 cylinders unless you can provide a few examples of 6 cylinder owners up in arms. It doesn't happen.

They are both designed similarly except for the number of cylinders and it does happen, just not to the same extend:

Did you even look at what you'd posted, one was a loose chain, one had a slight rattle that God only knows what it was and the other was a high miler. It's not the issue that's inherent in the 4 cylinder engines. You also needed to round the globe to get those videos. Grasping at straws with those videos. The 4 cylinders are ticking time bombs to suggest the 6 cylinders are the same is nonsense.
    Just wating for the usual they make less 6 cylinders than 4 cylinders reply that's why you don't hear about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

I was an avid bmw only fan up to recently and got myself a 530d f10 msport last summer and it's an excellent car. Couldn't believe my luck when the girlfriend said she wanted an a6 for herself in December. We've the 2 of them in the house now a 530d msport and an a6 s-line. Both 2014s. Both auto. Both well specced. 40k euro for the pair of them. Feel a little different to each other but I find myself switching between the 2 pretty often both magnificent cars. BMW has more power but it's a 3.0d v a 2.0d but I don't miss it when I take the Audi. Just saying don't rule out an Audi in the years you're looking at if you want to avoid potential timing chain worries.

• Advertisement

I did look at the videos but make what you want from them if you like. To say the same issues don't happen is not correct, yes the risk is way lower but it's not totally unheard of at the same time. I'm not here to make you believe it either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Buying any car is dangerous... if you want extra safety, buy one off Bmw with full service history and two year warranty... savage cars.... the 530 would be way more fun though so if u could afford that buy that!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Spec. is key. Auto lights and wipers particularly.

Normal headlights are woeful as well. Xenons are a must but pre LCI (2014) xenons can also give trouble, and are mad money to fix.

Advertisement