Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2010 Cooking Club Week 48: Pulled Pork

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Sparks wrote: »
    Don't happen to have a sweet tooth, do you Faith? :D

I do, and I don't enjoy vinegary tastes at all! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭conor052001

made this yesterday after meaning to for a lonnnnnnnng time. Had it for lunch in a bap with homemade coleslaw.. delicious
    seemed odd at the start to put so much effort into marinading, and slow cooking in a bunch of different ingredients but then to cover it in bbq sauce and vinegar at the end but turned out great.. thanks op

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Glad you enjoyed it conor, looks excellent!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭sandy_c

5 pork shoulders in the fridge! Have three slow cookers! All for my dads 60th on Saturday. I've already have people inviting themselves over tomorrow to "collect" something......in the hope of getting some before the party.

Im doing half of it withe the sauce in this recipe and half from a recipe I got from the easy food magazine. Both have been given big thumbs up.

BBQ mustard sauce:

400ml cider vinegar
    200g of mustard
    100g ketchup
    90g brown sugar
    2 crushed cloves of garlic
    One tsp salt
    One tsp chilli powder
    Pinch of black pepper

Combine in saucepan and simmer for 15 mins until thick

I did add more ketchup as it was a little too vinegary. Kind of similar to the sauce they have in Bison Bar and Grill for their pulled pork sandwiches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭link_2007

In relation to the question in the OP of what to do with the pork fat - pop it in the oven on high until it crisps, let it cool, cut it into strips and it makes a great treat for your dog :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Just tried this recipe and have to pay homage to Sparks for one of the most amazing meals I've ever had, it was absolutely delicious and now I'm feeling really smug about it as there is a kilo of yumness in the fridge to carry me well into next week:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,496 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Made this over the weekend (sat evening spice rub and finished today). It was amazing. I bought a slow cooker just to try it and considering how little effort went into preparation, it should be a regular. I am a low-carber, but I ciabatta'd the fcuk out of this for lunch.

Btw, I used a shoulder. I was on my way to Tesco to buy a leg but noticed a new butcher beside it, so I went in and they had shoulders vacuum packed. It was a nightmare to de-skin it but next time I should be better at it. Also needed elbow grease to fit it into my 3.5l slow cooker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Btw, I used a shoulder. I was on my way to Tesco to buy a leg but noticed a new butcher beside it, so I went in and they had shoulders vacuum packed. It was a nightmare to de-skin it but next time I should be better at it. Also needed elbow grease to fit it into my 3.5l slow cooker

I leave the skin on during cooking. Just slides right off afterwards, then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Hi Sparks,

Faith referenced this recipe in a different thread and I'm glad she did. Thank you so much! It's a super recipe and very well explain and presented.

Thanks again,
    Loire.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Alright, having read through the entire thread to see how people without slow cookers fared, I am ready to give this a go with the other half of my shoulder from the carnitas recipe!

Just realised I'll have to take it out of the freezer now if I want to be eating pulled pork lunchtime on Saturday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'm in a similar position in that i'll have some pork shoulder from the carnitas recipe too.
    Obstacles for me include no slow cooker and no cast iron roasting pot or similar. At the minute best option looks like a shallow ceramic dish (like a lasagne dish) :(:o:(

I'm using a cast iron pot (like le Crueset) and my gas oven actually has a slow cook setting so hoping that will work!

Would a metal roasting dish be an option Mellor?

Are onion granules the same as onion salt? What do they look like?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Malari wrote: »
    Are onion granules the same as onion salt? What do they look like?

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=251621831

IDShot_225x225.jpg

That's what I figured, but none in stock in my local Tesco. Maybe I'll substitute with garlic salt? It's only a tsp so I'm guessing it won't make a huge difference.

Better just to leave it out really Malari; it's not a major component in the rub anyway, more a supporting note. The paprika, salt and cumin are the major parts of the rub.

My pork is not quite pulling apart easily :-/ It's been in the oven 9 and a half hours now and I was hoping it would be ready to eat soon. Any suggestions? I'm thinking throw the temp up a bit for a while?

Sorry Malari, but no, probably not - it's a low-and-slow gig, and if it ain't done yet, you have to leave it for longer. Make sure there's enough fluid so it stays braising and doesn't start roasting, but without the long low moist cooking, the collagen won't convert to gelatin and you'll get a drier, stringier mouth feel and it just won't be as good as it could be.

I pulled part of it, then left the rest another couple of hours. But it was only when I reduced the cooking liquid down to a sauce and added it to the pork that I realised how much more tasty it was!

I'd love to try this if (when) I get a slow-cooker one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,762 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Malari wrote: »
    I'd love to try this if (when) I get a slow-cooker one day.

They're only about €20 for a massive 6.5l one when they come up in Lidl / Aldi or when they are half price in Argos (regularly)

Very cheap on electricity too, compared to using an electric oven. It will have paid for itself well within a year if used regularly :)

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    They're only about €20 for a massive 6.5l one when they come up in Lidl / Aldi or when they are half price in Argos (regularly)

Very cheap on electricity too, compared to using an electric oven. It will have paid for itself well within a year if used regularly :)

Thanks but cost is not the limiting factor, space is! I have a new food mixer that's still in it's box, due to my tiny kitchen!

I had the same problem Malari, so I bought the cheapest smallest one that Tesco had - 1.2L and the same size as a medium sized pot. It gets stashed inside my pressure cooker when not in use :D But while the slow cooker's the easiest way to cook this, anything that'll maintain low even heat for a long time and which lets you keep the meat in a moist environment during that will do just fine. A dutch oven or even a cassarole dish with a good lid in a low oven, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Just made this. Naturally, didn't follow instructions, so here's my experience...

Buy piece of pork. Forget about it that weekend. Remember during the week. Marinate piece of pork, place in plastic ziploc bag, return to fridge. Forget about it for four days. (Busy life.) Return to piece of pork. Four days marinating has done wonders. Place in pot with onion and chili and thyme. Don't have rest of ingredients. Substitute a can of pear cider and a tablespoon of black treacle. Add some fennel seeds.

Cook for hours in the oven on a very low heat. Then place a lid on the cast iron pan, turn the oven off and close the door. Leave overnight. The next morning realise it's in the oven and put it in the fridge, pot and all.

Tonight, get home from work. Put pot from fridge on stove. Heat slowly and gently. Simmer for an hour. Drain. Shred. Eat.

This dish is officially INDESTRUCTIBLE, FOOLPROOF and REALLY BLOODY TASTY.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,762 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Haha, yeah I think you're right. No matter what rub you use, in what or how long you marinate or how long you cook (as long as it as very long), this will always come out good :D

Holy hell. And you still haven't spent three hours counting the tiles in your bathroom floor Sweeper? I'm impressed! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Thanks again Sparks...made this the weekend before last (first time using the slow cooker too) and it was sensational.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

I have 1.5kg of piggy shoulder massaged and marinated waiting in the fridge for tomorrow. Looking forward to this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Drool...

wxTT65H.png

Took about 7 hours on high + 1 hour on low and it was falling apart. That's me sorted for lunch all this week :)

Only downside- I dropped and spilled an entire jar of molasses on the kitchen floor. I wouldn't wish that clean up job on my worst enemy! :(

I do love posts like that. Or as herself put it, "Between this recipe and my son, my legacy is complete" :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Sparks wrote: »
    Holy hell. And you still haven't spent three hours counting the tiles in your bathroom floor Sweeper? I'm impressed! :D

Hah, on that note, it needs to be said I'm a firm believer in (a) my nose and (b) the ability of high heat to decimate everything but anthrax and that bacilius cereus in cooked rice (or however you spell it).

The amount of salt and spice in the marinade ensured no bacteria could flourish on the surface of the pork while it was marinating. The heat in the cooking (because I oven cooked instead of slow cooked) was sufficient to destroy anything else, and I still got the same falling-apart effect.

And no, there was no ill after-effects. :)

Advertisement