Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Speeding ticket, Croatia

Options
  • 01-12-2020 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭

hi folks,
    weird one. Was in Croatia in Sept 19. Just received a speeding ticket today.
    pay or ignore?
    Nothing crazy was 10km over limit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Do the right thing...

That said, do you ever intend to return to Croatia?

And also since May 2017, the EU Cross-Border Enforcement Directive has allowed enforcement authorities to pursue and fine drivers of vehicles registered in other EU countries.
    Were you in own car or rental?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

ewj1978 wrote: »
    hi folks,
    weird one. Was in Croatia in Sept 19. Just received a speeding ticket today.
    pay or ignore?
    Nothing crazy was 10km over limit.

how much was the fine ?
    Doesn't really matter anyhow , why would you not pay ?
    You broke the law and got a fine. Good to see that they were able to follow you. If you dont pay the cost would only go up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Fine paid. 50 notes.
    strange that it took over a year to get to us though. Thought the car company receives it and then hits you with an extra?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭sweet_trip

Heard this is a common scam involving some shadier car rental companies who leak your info.
    Hence why it may have taken over a year.

Many threads on this forum where people have ignored fines from other countries and never heard a peep

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

You just got done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

sweet_trip wrote: »
    Heard this is a common scam involving some shadier car rental companies who leak your info.
    Hence why it may have taken over a year.

Many threads on this forum where people have ignored fines from other countries and never heard a peep

Happened to me once. Croatia isn't a real country anyway just a theme park run by Germany, France and Italy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,040 ✭✭✭mikeecho

I had a rental in Germany, I was flashed by a few Blitzer, and even a red light camera (had to break a light to allow an ambulance pass)

Never heard a thing.

I've driven along the motorway by Bristol, and I was a bad boy, and I never heard anything from the Specs system (AVG speed cams)

Its real alright, After using google translate, I was able to log into their system and lo and behold its my ugly mug driving the rental car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Italian rental companies pass their speeding fines onto a third party for collection with big mark ups

• Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Its real alright, After using google translate, I was able to log into their system and lo and behold its my ugly mug driving the rental car.

Good idea that. Strange the rental company didn't triple it for "administration costs" and swipe it from your cc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

I took a trip over to the alps last year, got snapped leaving the mont blanc tunnel. Nothing crazy.. but got a letter in the door 2 months later. 45€.... felt hard done.. but it was me, so fair cop

• Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Fine paid. 50 notes.
    strange that it took over a year to get to us though. Thought the car company receives it and then hits you with an extra?

That's what you'd expect. What happened you is the equivalent of me getting a speeding ticket in Ireland, telling the Gardai that my brother who works in Croatia was driving, they then go chasing him.

:rolleyes: And the saga continues. They've been back in contact to say I didnt pay enough. Seems because they took so long to process it that the exchange rate changed. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,266 ✭✭✭jmreire

:rolleyes: And the saga continues. They've been back in contact to say I didnt pay enough. Seems because they took so long to process it that the exchange rate changed. :rolleyes:

Did it happenon one of their excellent motorways? or one of the secondary roads? ( also excellent too) Normally, if you are caught on the motorways , the fine will be waiting for you at one of the exit peages...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,619 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

You might be able to claim back the €50 from your card insurer (VISA etc).

When I got caught speeding in South Africa, my credit card was charged directly by the rental company, as they had it on record... or perhaps I wasn't given a full deposit refund (it was a while back).

I think that's how rental companies usually charge these things (via administrative charges as mentioned before)... so it's a bit suspect what is happening here and you may be able to claim back amounts already paid

Advertisement