Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revision/Cancellation books for Co Kings/Offaly--I lost record

• 14-11-2020 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭

This is very embarrassing to admit but I have misplaced an important file. Any help much appreciated.

Maybe five years ago, I found the Griffith's Revision/Cancellation books for County Kings/Offaly. My great-great grandfather was there and I was then able to see the year the family was evicted--mid to late 1850s or early 1860s. I have searched every file I have, paper and digital, but can't find the info. When I found the info, I printed each page from the original Griffith's to when his name was crossed out in a heavy black line. Just can't find those papers.

I believe I got the records on microfilm from FamilySearch when they were still lending them out to libraries. These are vital records for my family and I'd like to get that info again if anyone has any ideas on how to do it. No such luck as them being online, is there? I can't seem to find them on FamilySearch but may be missing them.

My great-great grandfather's name was Michael Herrick. He was a tenant in the civil parish of Drumcullen, townland of Knockbarron. Landowner was John Head Drought who seems to have put this townland up for auction in December 1855 but for some reason a neighbor, Thomas Bernard of Castle Bernard in Kinnitty, became 'caretaker' and that's when Michael Herrick and many others were evicted. Sorry this is so long and thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭hblock21

You will need to take a trip to Dublin - to the Valuation Office

Irish Life Centre, Abbey St Lower, Dublin

But unfortaunately it has been closed to the public since March......

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭VirginiaB

Thanks but FamilySearch does have microfilm of these records--at least the ones I found. Of course, their centers are closed now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ath262

the valuation records in the Dublin office are better, as you can see the original colour used for each of the notes, makes it much easier to figure out the date that apply to each of the changes (as far as I know the familysearch films of these are b&w)

You're right--the FamilySearch images were b/w but it was clear enough for me to follow. And wish I could get to Dublin but I'm in the US so it is a bit of a trek tho not even an option right now. Thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭louis346789

The valuation office will do a search and send you the cancelled books by mail. Very good quality colour prints. It's about 25 euro. I think the form is no S2. I can verify if you cannot find it on their site.
    Takes about a month to get the copies.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

VirginiaB wrote: »
    This is very embarrassing to admit but I have misplaced an important file. Any help much appreciated.

I've done similar and mislaid papers to do with my adoption. They eventually turned up among a bundle of other papers in an unrelated folder so don't give up hope of them reappearing.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Thanks for the sympathy, Hermy, much appreciated. And thanks Louis346789 for that info. If I can't find the record, I will try your suggestion. Any chance of a link or the exact name of the valuation office so I can search the right place? Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Mollymoo19

https://www.valoff.ie/en/archive-research/genealogy/

I suggest you email them with all the information needed to find the records and see how you get on. Best of luck,

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭louis346789

https://www.valoff.ie/en/forms/

Form 3 is the one you need.
    Good luck with the searching.

Thank you, Mollymoo19 and Louis 346789 for the helpful links and info. I appreciate it very much. Fingers crossed for good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

The valuation office will do a search and send you the cancelled books by mail. Very good quality colour prints. It's about 25 euro. I think the form is no S2. I can verify if you cannot find it on their site.

In fact I just ordered that for two Cavan townlands and I'm now waiting for them. I ordered via post and paid online, about 3 weeks ago. The cost was E30. All very straightforward.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I see there are a number of entries in the indexes of the Registry of Deeds for a John H. Drought at the relevant time and place.

If you haven't done so already perhaps it might be worth checking to see if one of them relates to the sale of that land.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Thanks for that, Hermy. John Head Drought was a lifelong military man and bachelor in his elder years who up and got married in 1853 to a Frances Spunner of Roscrea. It's my theory that with a wife, and soon a son, Drought had need of cash. Fix up the Big House etc.

mod9maple wrote: »
    In fact I just ordered that for two Cavan townlands and I'm now waiting for them. I ordered via post and paid online, about 3 weeks ago. The cost was E30. All very straightforward.

Just a wee update for this in case anyone is thinking of ordering from the VO. It's been 7 weeks since I placed my order and paid for it and I'm still waiting. That's not a criticism; not at all. I'm in no particular hurry for them and they did communicate to me the fact that there would be a delay beyond the previous norm. But do expect a lengthy delay. When I get them, I'll let everyone know.

Re immediate post above. A large package arrived this morning in South Armagh, postdated 16/12 from Dublin. It was of course the records I was waiting for. Colour photocopies, excellent quality, A3 sheets, printed both sides. Excellent work. From making the online payment on Oct 23 to today was the total length of time, not including the couple of days it took for my printed order form to arrive with them via the post.

So between 8 and 9 weeks. It was worth the wait. Total cost for the records from two Cavan townlands, between 1855 and 1883, was E30.

Advertisement