Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Genesis @ 3Arena 16 November 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Zardoz

tumblr_mdufmg0Oz31qgmm5z.gif.cf.gif

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611293994a00060ae686b217b4dc29bab7abd9ab4cb&rid=giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 14,716 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Burty330 wrote: »
    I’ve been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that I didn’t really understand any of their work, all the albums before Duke seemed too artsy, too intellectual . It was Duke where Phil Collins’ presence became more apparent, and the music got more modern, the drum machine became more prevalent and the lyrics started getting less mystical and more specific.

Invisible Touch is the group’s undisputed masterpiece. It’s an epic meditation on intangibility, at the same time it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. It has a resonance that keeps coming back at the listener. All in all it ranks with the finest rock ‘n’ roll achievements of the decade and the mastermind behind this album, along of course with the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford, is Hugh Padgham, who has never found as clear and crisp and modern a sound as this. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument.

what took you so long?

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Scarlet42

extra dates added in the UK.

I went to see Phil in Aviva a few years back with my 11 year old daughter ... she loved it .. "Best concert ever!!" Only problem is she loves "Sussudio" now which I hate! and she plays it any chance she gets!

can't wait to bring her to Genesis now! I think we got half decent seats in 3 pre sale

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

What album would Genesis fans recommend to someone who doesn't have any of their albums?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

finbarrk wrote: »
    What album would Genesis fans recommend to someone who doesn't have any of their albums?

For the post Gabriel line up, I'd start with Duke, then Abacab and then Genesis, then And Then There Were Three.

You can leave Invisible Touch and We Can't Dance at your own discretion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Ok Shawn. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭speedbird834

Their sound has evolved considerably over the years. The previous suggestion of Duke is definitely the place to start

If you are interested in the Gabriel era I'd start with Selling England by the Pound

They're all on Spotify

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Invisible Touch is worth it alone for "The Brazilian" and as for We Can't Dance well ignoring the pop singles "Fading Lights" is a great tune along with Phil Collin's "Driving the Last Spike" a great song abut Irish navvies building the railways.

A Trick of The Tail is another fine Phil Collins led album.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Difficult to choose 1 but I've managed to narrow it down to 3 - on another day I could easily have picked Foxtrot or Nursery Cryme

A Trick of the Tail would be my first pick - First post Peter Gabriel album but still very proggy

Selling England By The Pound - Genesis at their absolute peak for me. Firth of Fifth is a masterpiece

Genesis from 83 - Mama and the 2 Home By the sea songs are amazing

Wouldn't choose any album after that unless you're more into pop than prog rock

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Kilteragh

Tough one. I think I'd have to say "The Best of Genesis"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Kilteragh wrote: »
    Tough one. I think I'd have to say "The Best of Genesis"

Alan is more of a solo Phil Collins kind of guy. He's got a tour jacket and everything.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, The Bothy Band, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭fafy

McLoughlin wrote: »
    "Driving the Last Spike" a great song abut Irish navvies building the railways.

Great track that, a real standout

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭emo72

scudzilla wrote: »
    jaysus, just did a youtube search of collins recent performances, came across this one from Hyde Park.
    What a depressing sight, zero passion, not even a smile, just an old man sat there singing a song.

this and brian wilson being wheeled out onto the stage. its bleedin elder abuse!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,715 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

emo72 wrote: »
    this and brian wilson being wheeled out onto the stage. its bleedin elder abuse!

There bank accounts are getting very topped up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Ikozma

Why why why is this gig on a Monday night

Ikozma wrote: »
    Why why why is this gig on a Monday night

I've outlined the reasons for this before .
    Dublin is an extremely lucrative market for gigs , so bands will mostly play mid week gigs here as they know they will sell well.
    The weekend slots are kept for the weaker markets .

The 3Arena was the ninth busiest Arena in the world in 2019 by volume of tickets sold and 10th highest grossing.
    For its size ,it is the busiest venue in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

The 2004 3 CD Platinum Collection is the best "best of" though its sequenced in a reverse chronological order (apart from the fact that ...Calling All Stations...' title track is at the end of the first disc) for the purpose of providing precedence to the newer material.
    https://open.spotify.com/album/3we7A7UllAuA6QH6U9jmHs?si=AasK9tq7QXa0XwPhYBfYhw

There is a newer 3 CD chronological order release called R-kive which mixes in solo material from all 5 key members solo career's which is helpful in seeing how the solo music fits with the band music especially in late 70s and the 80s.
    https://open.spotify.com/album/7Jigl7PJCgN4mAODbJYkFT?si=dMXJh1VKRoO5v1HLp5b_4w

I've combined both into one spotify list though
    https://open.spotify.com/playlist/6cJPRNmehRCMRLBHlLnino?si=NNCGKbUsQluwgkBb16f4jg

Didnt they also have some random guy singing in the 90s and it turned out a disaster

Didnt know Mike and the mechanics was a side project of Genises Mike Rutherford learn something new everyday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,180 ✭✭✭This is it

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Didnt they also have some random guy singing in the 90s and it turned out a disaster

Didnt know Mike and the mechanics was a side project of Genises Mike Rutherford learn something new everyday

Blondie and Mike and the Mechanics opened for Phil Collins in the Aviva. I'd have nearly paid for those two alone, huge bonus!

This is it wrote: »
    Blondie and Mike and the Mechanics opened for Phil Collins in the Aviva. I'd have nearly paid for those two alone, huge bonus!

Ah yeah remember that wasn't there but deff got you're moneys worth

Did Mike do any songs with Phil ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭fafy

The album and tour was a bit of a disaster- sales wise at least, “Calling All Stations” was the album, without Phil - it just didn’t work for fans

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

I have to agree with Bateman about the 70's stuff.. Its the type of music you'd imagine neckbeards playing Magic The Gathering would listen to.

Not my cup of tea ,personally.

All the 80's stuff is great though.. Home By The Sea , Tonight, Tonight , Tonight , Duchess ... Fantastic tracks.

Burty330 wrote: »
    I have to agree with Bateman about the 70's stuff.. Its the type of music you'd imagine neckbeards playing Magic The Gathering would listen to.

Not my cup of tea ,personally.

All the 80's stuff is great though.. Home By The Sea , Tonight, Tonight , Tonight , Duchess ... Fantastic tracks.

Jesus he knows me is brilliant tune but dont think they will do that live tho

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Kilteragh

No strangely enough. I thought they might do one or two.

By the way even though he sat through the whole thing Phil's voice was still excellent and it was a very good concert.

Following on from McLoughlin's mention of Spotify reminded me that Prog magazine asked readers for their favourite Genesis songs. They've put the top 40 into this Spotify playlist. Another excellent place to start...

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/383VoYfZW1tjUQWcJEOR5P?si=KD7EFuh5TYqLEpOHpna9JQ

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

greendom wrote: »
    Following on from McLoughlin's mention of Spotify reminded me that Prog magazine asked readers for their favourite Genesis songs. They've put the top 40 into this Spotify playlist. Another excellent place to start...

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/383VoYfZW1tjUQWcJEOR5P?si=KD7EFuh5TYqLEpOHpna9JQ

For the uninitiated, it should be pointed out that the playlist is in reverse order.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, The Bothy Band, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies.

For the uninitiated, it should be pointed out that the playlist is in reverse order.

I didn't actually realise that till you pointed it out but now it's obvious. Not much to disagree with either

okidoki987 wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if there was a 2nd gig, they will struggle to sell out at those prices.

Dublin and Belfast are getting 2nd dates ,info was already leaked.
    Big gaps between the dates anyway ,easy to see the extra dates .
    2 dates in Dublin is only 20k , they will easily sell that and sell it quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,615 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Zardoz wrote: »
    Dublin and Belfast are getting 2nd dates ,info was already leaked.
    Big gaps between the dates anyway ,easy to see the extra dates .
    2 dates in Dublin is only 20k , they will easily sell that and sell it quickly.

According to a friends brother, he said loads of people didn't know the tickets went general sale Monday and when they went into T/M on Friday saw there were only VIP for sale on there and assumed they had sold out!
    Looking at Viagogo, people have paid some insane prices for tickets on there if they are right, €750 for Flat seating, €600 for Block D, Block A €350. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

17th is up on Ticketmaster now

Advertisement