Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lessons / Teachers [Post here only]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭grymreepor

hi looking for lessons in bouzouki and dadgad guitar in meath/northeast area.

playing banjo and guitar for a while, love the trad!

give me a shout.

grymreepor@gmail.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 88teeny

Hi, I'm a student of the BA in Irish Music and Dance at the University of Limerick. I hold the teacher's diploma in teaching Irish music (TTCT). I have 5 years teaching experience with Comhaltas Ceoltóirí Éireann and giving private lessons. I am available to teach trad flute, tin whistle and piano in Limerick on weekdays and in Dublin on weekends. All ages and levels welcome!

For further info, please contact me on my college e-mail:
    09007000@studentmail.ul.ie

vibez wrote: »
    As above looking for someone to give me lessons on Banjo or Tin whistle but I wana learn both.

Based in Meath but can travel north dublin.

Thanks

banjo and tin whistle lessons in ballinacree community centre(2 miles outside of oldcastle) on saturday evenings at 6pm. costs a fiver a lesson. Great teacher and nice people.
    it's not on this week for the mid term break.

JacksDad wrote: »
    Hi,

I've recently bought a banjo and I'm looking for Tenor Banjo lessons in the Navan/Meath area. Preferably weekend tuition due to work commitments during the week.

Can anyone help?

Cheers.
    hi,
    banjo lesson in ballinacree community centre just outside oldcastle on saturday evenings at 6pm
    not on this weekend for mid term break. costs a fiver, great teacher and nice people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 conjoe

Cazlou wrote: »
    Hi, I'm available to give fiddle and/or tin-whistle lessons in pupils home or my own, north dublin, anywhere along 42 or 43 bus route or balgriffin/donaghmede areas. €25 an hour in my home, €30 in pupils. Evenings/weekends/some mornings
    10 years experience teaching with Comhaltas.

Hi,
    are you still giving lessons in fiddle for novices.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 conjoe

marz90 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am a fiddle teacher and based in Dublin City. I have taught with Comhltas for the past two years when I was living in Cork. I am also classically trained, Grade 8 completed, and have experience teaching classical privately also. I would love to teach the fiddle now in Dublin. Let me know what you think.

Mairead
    hello there,
    i am looking for lessons in trad fiddle could you let me have some details

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 peasey

Hi looking for bodhran lessons for total beginner in North Kildare/ West Dublin area. Any help appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭eddison

Hi guys,

Been asked for some tips on learning the Banjo, and decided to put them here to benefit the community. So I hope this helps. I give Banjo lessons- details below.

Many playing the banjo concentrate on the technical aspect of the instrument, even famous players do this. The banjo tends to force this, as mistakes can be noticeable. Also the Banjo has a sweet sound when played quickly. Therefore what happens is that the player, even though technically brilliant, can concentrate so much on the technical aspect, the Banjo ends up sounding like a machine gun! Barney Mc Kenna (Dubliners) is technically excellent, but he plays with feeling, which one reason he is so loved as a player, and this is what can be cultivated in the student.

I find timing can also be a weakness with some Banjo players, even the experienced. Because sections of songs are easier than others, and because the banjo sounds good, when it is played quickly, Banjo players can sometimes fly through certain section of songs. What happens is the Banjo player gets ingrained, and habitualized with uneven timing.

This is ok when playing with others, as timing sorts itself out, and is not as noticeable. When playing solo, the crowd can tap, or clap. But if a Banjo player speeds only slightly through a section, then the crowd become slightly out of sync. People then stop clapping, as they are out of time, with the player.
    The Banjo requires considerable practice, and over many hundreds of hours in being technically excellent, and not practicing with others, is why bad timing can be difficult to fix later. I always give a metronome to students on their phone (if suitable) to work with from the start. This gives an excellent discipline. Its ironic but if an experienced player plays at 6 or 7 notes per second, but is asked to play in time with a metronome, they find it difficult to play at the same speed! But if the student is aware of this, at the beginning, then this does not become ingrained.

Bad habits are easy to develop while playing the Banjo. This is because in an effort to play better, certain aids are used. but using these aids means that the player will have a limited speed later because the aid, easier at the beginning, eventually becomes a restriction. for instance, in my experience, using the wrist, and whole hand leads to faster playing. If it is good enough for B. McKenna, its good enough for me! But, at the beginning, it is easier to move ones fingers around instead. Later however the fingers cannot move as fast as the wrist, and this places a ceiling on how fast one can play. This then leads to the student believing they cannot get any better. Some other bad habits are not arching the fingers sufficiently to allow chords later on, and allow the ringing of the string (sustain), not placing ones finger directly behind the fret, overt or dramatic movement of fingers. I tend to find this last one with guitar players moving over to Banjo. The Banjo strings just need to be lightly touched, and one must be completely relaxed.
    I feel playing without looking should be developed as soon as possible, and that means naturally, in time with a persons development, but not ignored. If one must look at the strings, and has only learned this way, then, again this will limit the player later on. But this can be done so a student does not even notice, as this aspect becomes natural.

To get to a proficient level of banjo playing, one ultimately learns with ones mind, and muscle memory. But when jigs or reels are practiced quickly, the mind has no time to learn, as it is concentrating on 2 or three notes per second. I find mistakes are repeated, over and over, and are difficult to correct. However if one plays slowly, and methodically, ones speed increases naturally, at the pace of ones mind, and muscles. Mistakes are also virtually non existent, when a song is played slowly. The bottom line is that playing slowly is the fastest way, to play accurately, and quickly. Practicing slowly usually shocks student as to how good they become, over time.

Composition is where one can take enjoyment to a completely new level. To be creative in music is a real joy. But this is simply not as difficult as many believe. There are certain rules, and harmonies which must be obeyed. But spontaneity or the unexpected, with inspiration can be cultivated. The intuition to compose music is quite easy to get. One must concentrate lightly on the subject, and not have any expectations, but keeping ones eyes and ears open for that little part of a composition which makes it special. First, the type of song should be selected- melancholy? happy? serious? fun? there are thousands of emotions, but the budding composer, should decide what combination of emotions the song should contain. Constantly repeating the initial song, then adjusting it, and looking, and listening for additions, also knowing what is not wanted is an asset in finding the tune one is looking for. If a person is interested in learning an instrument, they must have music in their blood, and that is a fantastic base to begin composing with.

A beginner will have more freedom, if they learn to play by ear. I usually give free open source software to students so they can slow a song they hear on youtube down. This gives huge freedom to the student, as it allows them to play a song they want to play, instead of a song they are instructed to play. This is one way of maintaining practice, and adding enjoyment. Slowing songs down is one thing, but the notes but the tone should not go down also. The software slows the song from 100% through to 25% or a quarter of original speed. This is an excellent way to learn the art of playing by ear. Reading from music sheets is a great skill, but playing by ear is an addition to that. If one can only do either, they, for instance are limited to finding sheet music on all songs. Tablature is an excellent form of sheet music, and also another string in ones Banjo!

The Banjo is a fabulous instrument. There are few musical instruments where one can walk into almost any pub and tinkle away softly on it ! I find the crowd in the pub goes quiet to listen!, One gets smiles, and comments from complete strangers !! comments like 'beautiful' . Its like one casts a spell !!
    The Banjo is definitely worth the effort.

I give Irish tenor Banjo lessons in the South Wexford area.
    Cost is 25 euros for 50 minutes. If interested, please send me a PM. We will be getting a session of beginners together in the future, to progress student, and learn to play in sessions with confidence.

I was asked if we can provide accommodation, and yes, this is available.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭wivy

Tin Whistle/Flute Teacher in Co. Leitrim.
    All-Ireland Senior Tin Whistle Champion.
    TTCT Qualification, Primary Teaching Qualification.
    Extensive experience of workshop, private classes, and group settings.
    €9 per half hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 thefourstrings

Hi everyone. I hope someone can help me here. I'm looking for guitar lessons as a beginner. the style of music that interests me is folk music, and traditional music. I would appreciate it if you could contact me declan.flynn@mycit.ie
    Thankyou

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭eddison

Hi Guys,

Just to add some more to my earlier post on this thread...
    What is the most difficult thing to do when learning the Banjo? The most difficult thing is sticking to it no matter what!
    Even if you practice badly, if you stick to playing the banjo, you cannot help getting better, except if will take longer. But sticking to something, as we all know, can be very difficult.
    Make no mistake- playing the banjo is one of thee most difficult instruments to master. Here is what the web site for Johnny Keenan says;
    Highly regarded among his fellow musicians as a master banjo player, Johnny was a multi-instrumentalist who easily turned his hand to fiddle, low whistle, uilleann pipes, guitar, etc. But he did favour the banjo, as he often said that the banjo had posed the biggest challenge, so he persisted until he mastered it. Anyone watching Johnny play would have thought the banjo was the easiest instrument, as Johnny played with such ease and the music flowed so freely.
    The secret to learning the Banjo is the same secret which can help in every single aspect of ones life. This secret is the ability to make self imposed burden, easy, and effortless. What I mean here is, how do we make practice a joy? When we cannot wait to pick up the instrument and play!! If one had such an attitude, one could practice for hours a day, and for years without effort. Then this banjo burden we have accepted would become light !

What this means is that practice can become a joy. Many people who learn an instrument go on to learn another, and then another, like Johnny Keenan. This is partly because they know the secret to making practice effortless, and it kind of becomes addictive, but in a good way. Why would you give up something which brings joy to ones life?

Some ordinary people do a repetitive task which takes 20 minutes, every day for 10 years or longer- walking the dog. So why shouldn't practice on the banjo be any different?
    The reason is down to several things. One of them is expectations. The person walking the dog has no expectations at all. They don't look to see if the dog is getting fitter, or quicker, or walking with more agility.

But a student banjo player will fail if they have expectations. Looking for improvements, more agility, speed etc etc. When one begins playing the banjo, one starts with passion! And at that stage, practice is easy- the person has no expectations at all. But after a while they wonder if they are improving, and play faster.

Passion is then replaced by expectation. When this happens, even if the person meets their own expectations, they will still get frustrated, and give up. They may see a player on who is master of the Banjo, and simply give up, as it is difficult to learn. But if one has no expectations at three months, six months, one year, or ever, then one cannot loose passion. The passion will remain with them for as long as they play. They will only experience delight when they reach new levels.
    But ridding ourselves of expectations is only one part of the secret to learning the banjo, and life! The other secret is how to make playing a pure joy !!

The above information is used as part of music therapy, because like a meditation, music therapy can help control imbalanced emotions, depression, insecurity, anxiety, and a whole host of conditions. A 'place' of strength is built which helps when things become a little upsetting..

I teach the Banjo in the Leinster region- send me a PM !!

Tuition fees are .50 cents per mile to travel to your home (minimum €15), and 30 euros for an hour lesson. For two people- we can work something out .

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭glord

I have excellent technique( similar to gerry o'connor), i have competed in all ireland fleadhs.I can play in alternate tunings. I dont believe in over charging so 15 euro per lesson. i live near enfield,co meath.This is the real deal 0851408460

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 peasey

just looking for bodhran lessons

I am a beginner and located in North Kildare

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 The King Sham

Guitar lessons available and Irish ballad style playing and singing also available contact Gary 085 1284751.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Doza

Does anyone know of lessons for kids in the swords area? I know cce in Malahide run classes but wondered if there is anything nearer. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 carcarca

marz90 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am a fiddle teacher and based in Dublin City. I have taught with Comhltas for the past two years when I was living in Cork. I am also classically trained, Grade 8 completed, and have experience teaching classical privately also. I would love to teach the fiddle now in Dublin. Let me know what you think.

Mairead

hi mairead. i am interetsed in getting lessons on the fiddle. I am a beginner. I live dublin 12 and can travel. What are your rates, and what days/eveings are suitable. cheers

colin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Looking for banjo and fiddle lessons for myself and the other half. we just finished 1 year in comhaltas at intermediate level and did not find them much use. So looking for one on one lessons to try and improve

We're located in south dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭walsh.peter

I am looking for beginner Clarinet lessons in Midleton area of Co. Cork for adult beginner. please pm me
    Regards
    Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭glord

banjo and guitar lessons available from a very experienced and skilled player. Take all levels. Here is a video of me playing a jig on guitar.
    http://youtu.be/pfGEYwW-seA
    leave a private message on my profile here or ring 0851408460

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭TigerTim

I'm looking for Banjo lessons for adult in Tralee/North Kerry area. Please PM

T.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭cliona88

I am an experienced piano teacher with an honours degree in music. I cater for students who wish to play for enjoyment and also to prepare for RIAM examinations. The price for a lesson is 12e per half hour and hour lessons are also available. I offer piano lessons in my own home which is in newbridge town. Adults and children catered for as well as beginners and advanced students!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭twilight_singer

looking for beginners lessons. 4 string tenor banjo. PM me if interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jamesfiddle

Traditional Fiddle lessons in Cork City from experienced teacher and player. Happy to teach beginners or adults. Flexible times and Reasonable rates. Classes take place in teacher's home in City Centre. Can also help with sourcing instruments or finding the right instrument for the player. Any enquiries, please message me. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 learndrums

drum lessons for all levels free trial lesson www.learndrumsdublin,com
    http://youtu.be/jmCjKuVTWEw[

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Musicforall

Looking for a Drum Kit teacher for a music school in South Dublin? Please get in contact if this is you! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 fiddler2010

Experienced fiddle player available for lessons in the Limerick city area.

Will teach beginner / intermediate / advanced.

Group and individual lessons.

25 Euro per hour.

PM me for more details.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 BanjoGalway

I've just recently moved to Swords, Co. Dublin and am starting music lessons to begin at the end of September.

I cater for all age groups and all abilities.

Instruments taught include
    - Tin Whistle
    - Beginners Flute
    - Banjo
    - Mandolin
    - Fiddle
    - Guitar
    - Bouzouki

If you'd like more information, feel free to contact me at tradmusiclessons@gmail.com or on 086 3862080

Regards,
    Seán

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 paulmcm

This may not be related but I tot it a good place to look. I would like to know if anyone has any info on a song called the gallant irregular it is id great importance to my granda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 carebear00000

Looking for private Fiddle lessons in Dublin. Im a beginner but can read music.

Please contact me cshar04@gmail.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Concertina or tin whistle lessons offered.

I'm a professional musician, 25 years playing experience. I've taught at festivals all over Europe and America.

Also -I'm looking for tuition for my 6 year old daughter - fiddle or piano. Would love to find a like-minded musician in the neighbourhood (Firhouse/knocklyon area) interested in a barter system - You teach my kid and I'll teach yours :)

Advertisement