Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going back to College? Check here for Mature/Disabled/Access/Grant & Fees information

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Long Term Louth

threein99 wrote: »
    Its an I.T plc course.

A good basis for going on to University. All the best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

A good basis for going on to University. All the best

Yea thats the plan anyways,cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Capricorn1

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    Was it definitely just Australia and Asia? Anywhere in the EU?

Hi Johnny

Yes it was only Australia and Asia

• Registered Users Posts: 40,538 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Capricorn1 wrote: »
    Hi, I am hoping some of you might have some advice for me. I have been refused the grant because I have not been resident in the country for more than 3 years out of the previous 5 years (this new rule only came into effect in June 2010 so I'm sure alot of people are not aware of this).

I would understand if I were a foreigner having to be resident in the country for a number of years before applying, but I am Irish, I decided to go backpacking through Asia and Australia a few years back, i'm only home 2 years and 9 months, but becuase I'm not home 3 years or more i'm not entitled to anything, not even to have my fee's covered, nothing. Does anyone know of any other organisations that cover fee's.

Any advice would be helpful

Thanks

Possible sources of financial assistance

Vincent dePaul
    Student Assistance Fund (enquire in the college)
    Local Partnership Organisation - e.g. Bray Partnership or Fingal Leader Partnership
    Credit Union Loan

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭WeirdoFreak

Thanks for info:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 William Browne

This is a very good thread. I was wondering if i could get some advice.

Hi. I'm thinking of applying to a university course as a mature student. The course i'm interested in is Physical Education. Disappointingly, i never managed to get the points needed in my leaving cert so the only option i have is to wait to apply as a mature student.
    Thankfully i didn't waste my time after the leaving cert. I qualified as an I.T.E.C level one fitness instructor, and i'm also qualified to teach martial arts. I spent the last few years teaching martial arts and fitness classes in a center not far from the city. I also currently teach gymnastics in 2 different primary schools and will be teaching in a geal scoil starting January. I also have previously thought transition years boxercise in two different schools and i have another transition year class lined up for later in the year.
    As you can see i have the experience and i am motivated to do this course but disappointingly i just found out that to qualify as a mature student, i need to be 23 on or before January 1st of the year i wish to start college, which for me i was hoping to start in september 2011. Unfortunately I will be turning 23 on January 13th coming, which makes me 13 days too young :(.

There's an opening day wednesday week for mature students and i was thinking of going to it to find out more information but i don't know if I'll get anywhere with it?

Those anybody know if there's anyway around this or will i just have to wait another year to apply? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Capricorn1

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    Possible sources of financial assistance

Vincent dePaul
    Student Assistance Fund (enquire in the college)
    Local Partnership Organisation - e.g. Bray Partnership or Fingal Leader Partnership
    Credit Union Loan

I would like to say thank you for informing me about the Vincent dePaul, I contacted them and they agreed to pay my registration (1500 euro) I would never have been able to pay it without getting myself into a debt I'd be unable to pay if it were not for them.

Thank you

P.S. Most Partnerships have ceased their funds for education i.e. the Millenium Fund.

Also the Student Assistance Fund will not help with registration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

I am applying to return to college in September this year as a mature student. The course is a BA in Sport & Exercise at IT Carlow.

I have already hold a Hons BA Degree in Media from DCU. On that particular course I studied for 3 years in Ballyfermot College earning a FETAC Level 5 & a Higher National Diploma. I got a grant for all 3 of these years. The one year degree add on did not qualify for a grant as it was not recognised by the grants authority due to some technicality.

My question is, am I entitled to any manner of grant given that I already hold a degree and am now 23 & considered a mature student? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 manatasia

Hi guys,
    I don't know if it is the right thread to post my question, but I couldn't find a more suitable place.

I'm currently a student doing a level 7 degree (I could do an additional year and then have a level 8) in Horticulture, but I'm planning on applying to Landscape Architecture as soon as I finish this course. After 3 years of study I will be 22, so I won't be considered as a mature student (I will make a CAO application being 22). My question is, what will be specifically taken into account? Will I have better chances of getting into college than students with LC? I didn't get into Landscape Architecture in the first attempt, so I'm kind of worried they won't let me in another time as well. Has anyone done that before? There are hundreds of people coming back to college as mature students, but I can't find anyone who is simply doing one degree and then another being under 23.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

manatasia wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I don't know if it is the right thread to post my question, but I couldn't find a more suitable place.

I'm currently a student doing a level 7 degree (I could do an additional year and then have a level 8) in Horticulture, but I'm planning on applying to Landscape Architecture as soon as I finish this course. After 3 years of study I will be 22, so I won't be considered as a mature student (I will make a CAO application being 22). My question is, what will be specifically taken into account? Will I have better chances of getting into college than students with LC? I didn't get into Landscape Architecture in the first attempt, so I'm kind of worried they won't let me in another time as well. Has anyone done that before? There are hundreds of people coming back to college as mature students, but I can't find anyone who is simply doing one degree and then another being under 23.

To me, I would say they will only take your LC results into account and not your current level of study as you are applying as a *school leaver* and not a mature student.

What I would advise doing is to contact the head of the department directly and see about getting an advanced entry into the course as you have already done a course similar. This may be an option for you. If not, you would have to hang around a year to be elligible to apply as a mature student. But if you don't ask you don't get so give the head of department a call and arrange a meeting to see if there is another way of getting on the course.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Hi,

Just looking at grant information here: http://www.studentfinance.ie/mp7559/check-grant-levels/index.html, please correct me if I'm wrong on any of the below...

Now I wont qualify for BTEA as I wont have been on the dole long enough (short by a few months, assuming I can't get any work between now and then), but am currently on JSB, so I will have to rely on a local authority grant.

So, going back to college as a mature student, you have your fees paid and student services charge paid (where applicable) and then you need to pay registration, which is usually around EUR1,500 - EUR2,000 and as long as you live pretty much in the same city as your university (adjacient) your grant is EUR2,545, which after registration leaves approx EUR545 for books etc. which wouldn't stretch very far, and then is that it?

Is there no other source of income I can get for the year whilst I'm in college unless I can find a part-time job? All I can get is the local authority grant and the few bits paid for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

In case anyone is interested, University of Limerick are having their mature students open evening tonight !
    Mature Student Open Evening: Tuesday 22nd February 2011 from 4.30-7.30pm in the Atrium of the Foundation Building (Concert Hall building), University of Limerick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

A lot of these links are outdated and don't work at all. Mygrant.ie, the link for rent allowance being two such examples.

Dermighty wrote: »
    A lot of these links are outdated and don't work at all. Mygrant.ie, the link for rent allowance being two such examples.

Yes, thank you for pointing this out. I only looked at the links in this thread over a week ago but I was away. I hope to sort them out soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Thanks. I applied for a course in DCU but I'm not sure if I'll be able to go now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 gina31

hi i'm loooking for info on goin back to college i'm 30yrs old, i'm currently working full time, single parent to 1 child aged 7. i'm not happy in my job and want new career path so have decided to look in courses. dont know where to start? i've a mortgage which i'm payin on my own, if i give up my job, am i entitled to lone parents assitance or the dole?? would i get a grant, dont know if i could pay my mortgage (650 a month ) on lone parents and a grant?? anyone else out there give up job to go back to education? how did you get on? any advise really appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Moon Indigo

Really need some advice. I am 28 and have been accepted into NUIM level 8 and have applied for BTEA. I know I can apply for the fees and student services charge to be paid. The problem is I don't have a clue what form I need. I downloaded one off student finance but I'm not sure if I need another one or a diffrent one if I am just applying for the fees as opposed to the full maintainance grant.

I know this is confusing but the basic question is this ... what form do I need for the fees/services charge? Who do I apply to? When is the form available? I am really confused over this and ANY help would be wonderfull. Thank You! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭girlonfire

I know this is confusing but the basic question is this ... what form do I need for the fees/services charge? Who do I apply to? When is the form available? I am really confused over this and ANY help would be wonderfull. Thank You! :D

You need to fill out the grant form which can be found on studentfinances.ie. It is the same body that determines whether your service fee will be charged. On that form, you can state whether you intend to opt for the maintenance grant or BTEA. You also state that you are applying to have the service charge covered. It'll all be there when you read through.

girlonfire wrote: »
    You need to fill out the grant form which can be found on studentfinances.ie. It is the same body that determines whether your service fee will be charged. On that form, you can state whether you intend to opt for the maintenance grant or BTEA. You also state that you are applying to have the service charge covered. It'll all be there when you read through.

The grant forms for 2011/2012 are not available yet

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭bobdole968

hope someone can help me as i have till the end of the month to apply for a 3rd level course.
    my main concern is not being able to afford college. a few months ago i was made redundant so i guess i should be able to get the btea grant.
    do you need to actually get a place in the college course before you can apply for the btea or should i head down to social welfare now.
    also there is a fee for the start of the year in college i hear its around €1500 is there any grants to help pay that.
    also does anybody know what the third Level Training Funding is because that was also mentioned on the course information sheet as well as btea allowance

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jellybaby24

Hi!
    I was wondering if someone could give me some advice?
    Im going back to college in September as a mature student and will be dependent on my mother, who is a single parent, I am 24 and my brother is 8, my mother gets a one-parent family allowance I was just wondering if i apply for a grant would it cause trouble for her with the social welfare? and would the one-parent family allowance be taken off her?
    Thanks

Hi!
    I was wondering if someone could give me some advice?
    Im going back to college in September as a mature student and will be dependent on my mother, who is a single parent, I am 24 and my brother is 8, my mother gets a one-parent family allowance I was just wondering if i apply for a grant would it cause trouble for her with the social welfare? and would the one-parent family allowance be taken off her?
    Thanks

No - there is no reason it would be taken off her

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jellybaby24

Thanks for the reply!

i have only just moved back home from living with my ex-boyfriend (in his parents house) so would this effect the amount of the payment she recieves from the one- parent family allowance as i am currently working full time??

Thanks for the reply!

i have only just moved back home from living with my ex-boyfriend (in his parents house) so would this effect the amount of the payment she recieves from the one- parent family allowance as i am currently working full time??

Im not really sure how the opfp works

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭SionnachOghma

Can anyone tell me what the story is for fees and grants in relation to part-time evening study?

I'm 26, planning to apply to DBS for their Evening Arts Degree Course next year (hopefully), and I'm wondering what my options are. My impression is that full fees apply, and any mention of grants I've seen relate only to full-time students.

Can anyone tell me what the story is for fees and grants in relation to part-time evening study?

I'm 26, planning to apply to DBS for their Evening Arts Degree Course next year (hopefully), and I'm wondering what my options are. My impression is that full fees apply, and any mention of grants I've seen relate only to full-time students.

DBS is private - so no fees

Course is full time so no grants

You can get tax relief on the fees

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 5 questiontime

Had planned on returning to college in September to retrain, and hopefully get a full-time job upon graduation, but it doesn't appear realistic due to the financial side of things.
    Had to laugh at our politicans slating young people, and their efforts to get work/retrain, my situation is I have a qualification at an equivalent level from a decade ago, so am eligible for full fees etc.
    It means a return to college just isn't possible when other bills etc are factored in.
    Is it really black and white in relation to having a qualification of a similar standard, and therefore being liable for fees?
    Naively thought because I had been in reciept of a SW payment for a year, and prior to that had been fully fledged taxpayer, that I might be eligible for free fees.
    But, no, because I have a qualification at the same level, I can't return with the fees. Do they really think people who are looking to retrain have the means to fund college with mortgage etc/unemployment thrown in?
    Rant over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Tulip11

Hi Questiontime,

Do you not qualify for BTEA? Or is the fact you have already completed a 3rd level course making you ineligible?

I'm not advocating this btw but if you are already in receipt of SW, which I'm assuming is the JB/JA, then let's say hypothetically you don't sign off when you commence you're course? Maybe I'm a tad naive but how are they to know you have commenced full-time education? As I said I'm NOT advocating it but I have heard of this being done before, granted it's a good few year ago know and I guess the Dept of SW are clamping down considerably on this kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 questiontime

Hi Tuilip,
    Thanks for your reply.
    My issue isn't with the Social Welfare but rather the fact that I have to pay full fees because I have a degree, and the course I want to do is a degree course. (But a degree in an area where I can get a job).
    Re the signing off thing, I prefer to sleep easy at night! But I would never criticise anyone who chose differently.
    My gripe is the fact that I have to pay massive fees, which if I didn't already have a degree, would be paid.
    I just don't understand the logic, it's like a case of 'sure, you've had your chance at college', as if the economy isn't allowed to change in a 10 year period.

• Advertisement

Mod note: Tulip11, please do not mention 'hypothetical' ways of illegally claiming social welfare payments. This is not what the forum is about.

Advertisement