Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Warranties

• 30-10-2020 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭

Anyone know anything about carprotect warranty.
    My experience with other warranty outfits way back in the mists of time was awful.
    The dealer rattled off a list of things covered over the phone, bit surprised he did not offer to email me something on that.
    Also what does anyone think of the 1.5 diesel on the 2012 Nissan Qashcow, dealer says particle filter would be covered for a year.
    Please let me know if can be answered elsewhere.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

DPF is specifically excluded from that warranty.

https://quote.carprotect.ie/documents/car-protect-warranty-booklet.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I wouldn't expext to be relying on it for anything.

It's basically an outlet that gives the dealer the opportunity to sell a vehicle with a "warranty", which also washing their hands of the aftersales care of that at the same time for a straightforward fee. The only loser with these warrantys is the buyer.

The dealer sells you a car with a years warranty so you feel secure.

You have a problem, so you go to the dealer, the dealer then tells you thar carprotect will handle that.

You go to carprotect and they will tell you that they dont cover that, see their t's & c's and get out clauses.

Then you're on your tobler'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,814 ✭✭✭User1998

It seems that almost all independent dealers use Car Protect these days. €99 for a 3 month warranty and no risk to them if anything goes wrong with the car. Pretty good deal for dealers so I do see the appeal of them. Fairly useless for people buying cars but Car protect sell more expensive warranties too which are more ‘bumper to bumper’ for only a few quid more which you could inquire about

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

User1998 wrote: »
    It seems that almost all independent dealers use Car Protect these days. €99 for a 3 month warranty and no risk to them if anything goes wrong with the car. Pretty good deal for dealers so I do see the appeal of them. Fairly useless for people buying cars but Car protect sell more expensive warranties too which are more ‘bumper to bumper’ for only a few quid more which you could inquire about

Agree with this. Shop around for your own warranty as you would for insurance and get what suits you. Most dealers will be offering the least expensive/less cover option as it'll keep the asking price down. It means you'll probably have to pay the dealer for any repairs and claim back the cost less any excess yourself.

Essentially, those bolt on warranties are just a different type of insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭walshtipp

I had a Mapfre warranty on a car I bought a few years ago. I was very pleased with it. Got a free clutch kit out of it. No hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

walshtipp wrote: »
    I had a Mapfre warranty on a car I bought a few years ago. I was very pleased with it. Got a free clutch kit out of it. No hassle.

Interesting.

They do have a poor reputation but thats good to hear.

mickdw wrote: »
    Interesting.

They do have a poor reputation but thats good to hear.

I think that a lot of it has to do with the garage that carries out the work for the warranty company. They deal with the warranty company and put the pressure on them to pay out. In my case the garage where I bought the car carried out the work for me.

I think that a lot of it has to do with the garage that carries out the work for the warranty company. They deal with the warranty company and put the pressure on them to pay out. In my case the garage where I bought the car carried out the work for me.

Makes sense.

I fear the situation though where they insist on strip down to find issue before confirming cover only then to be told - not covered and be left with a bill far bigger than might have been the case at your friendly local garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭antietam1

Thanks lads, had a quick spin in the Qashcow and found it very sluggish.
    Another question you might help me with is are we normally covered say to drive with a hired trailer?
    I will be asking this question when I go for insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It will depend on the trailer and your licence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

I had a mapfre warranty on my car realised the aircon wasnt working. went to get a regas and the condenser was blown. rang mapfre they said yes it was covered took a while but work was done at a kia main dealer.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    It will depend on the trailer and your licence

Think you had to do a test for over 3 tons, something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Murte

Hi, wouldn't bother with them a complete waste of time and money, they will tell you its not
    covered under their t&cs.
    When I argued with them they came up with another reason not to cover costs.
    Save yourself hassle and money

Murte wrote: »
    Hi, wouldn't bother with them a complete waste of time and money, they will tell you its not
    covered under their t&cs.
    When I argued with them they came up with another reason not to cover costs.
    Save yourself hassle and money

When you are purchasing the warranty you can see in writing what you will be covered for. Read the Ts and Cs. As I mentioned above I got a free clutch kit from Mapfre because it was covered. Don't be expecting warranty companies to cover things that aren't on your policy.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

You did well - Ive never had a clutch covered in all my years (20+) dealing with them.
    Clutches are generally excluded as are dpfs.

Most of these add on warranties aren't worth the paper they are wrote on.

Carprotect in my opinion are a disaster to deal with.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    You did well - Ive never had a clutch covered in all my years (20+) dealing with them.
    Clutches are generally excluded as are dpfs.

Most of these add on warranties aren't worth the paper they are wrote on.

Carprotect in my opinion are a disaster to deal with.

Maybe I was just lucky. The garage that I deal with is very good and they put pressure on the warranty company to pay out.

Maybe I was just lucky. The garage that I deal with is very good and they put pressure on the warranty company to pay out.

The clutch being needed must have been as a result of another covered failure such as a failed oil seal that destroyed the clutch.

mickdw wrote: »
    The clutch being needed must have been as a result of another covered failure such as a failed oil seal that destroyed the clutch.

Reason was that there was a clicking noise which turned out to be the clutch release bearing. They were first going to just replace the bearing, but I pushed for a full kit because the car had close to 200,000km at the time. Really wasn't difficult to get but as I said the garage was doing the hard work really.

Thanks everbody, did not bother with warranty.
    To answer my cheist about a trailer I am covered third party for trailer totalling 750kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭bs2014

Had a Ford protect used car warranty. It covered 2 rear shocks and a timing belt kit (I nearly didn't ring them cuz I had already ruled them out, thank god I did). Personal experience 3rd party warranties were better but I know this isn't always the case.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

In my experience, they have been decent to deal with. Once everything is within their warranty scope there shouldn’t be an issue.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

cournioni wrote: »
    Once everything is within their warranty scope there shouldn’t be an issue.

See theres the issue.

"Within" their warranty scope.

Only today Im having issues trying to get a claim covered under one of these companies warranties.

Oil leak in a van engine. Timing cover leaking - needs a new timing cover. Warranty company says no - "casings" aren't covered by their warranty. Neither are any replacement gaskets, sealer etc.

Very vague since every part of an engine has either a "casing" or some from of sealer or gasket. Its a very easy opt out for them.

The same company covered the exact same job not 20 days ago for me.And when this was pointed put I was told it was covered "by mistake" and shouldn't have been.

They pull the rules out of their arses to suit themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I would agree with the above, there is a get out clause for basically everything and anything that doesn't have a get out clause has a capped payout amount.

They aren't really a substitute for a good manufacturers or reputable dealers in house warranty.

I would agree with the above, there is a get out clause for basically everything and anything that doesn't have a get out clause has a capped payout amount.

They aren't really a substitute for a good manufacturers or reputable dealers in house warranty.

Tell me about it - its been one of those days. We ( or should I say the manufacturer) pays for this extended warranty and promotes it really really well, its not cheap and yet the warranty companies T`c and C`s allow them to just deny any claims they want using quite vague definitions of what exactly is covered by it.

For example you change a turbo, they wont cover gaskets or oil feed pipes or even an oil filter and oil change after changing it.
    They wont cover antifreeze if you change a water pump. They wont cover spark plugs if you change a coil pack.

Really stupid stuff that they shouldn't be allowed away with.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    See theres the issue.

"Within" their warranty scope.

Only today Im having issues trying to get a claim covered under one of these companies warranties.

Oil leak in a van engine. Timing cover leaking - needs a new timing cover. Warranty company says no - "casings" aren't covered by their warranty. Neither are any replacement gaskets, sealer etc.

Very vague since every part of an engine has either a "casing" or some from of sealer or gasket. Its a very easy opt out for them.

The same company covered the exact same job not 20 days ago for me.And when this was pointed put I was told it was covered "by mistake" and shouldn't have been.

They pull the rules out of their arses to suit themselves.
    In fairness, most of it is listed in their hand books when you take out the warranty. For example, failures due to wear and tear are not covered, however sudden failure of a component leading to consequential damage is covered entirely.

I’ve gone through a few of the hand books for different warranty crowds for work and everything that is covered is listed specifically in it. Granted, there is some questionable terminology included in the policies, but at the end of the day it’s up to the customer to be informed as to what they’re signing up for and whether they are happy with it or not.

In your case, inconsistentcy shouldn’t happen, it should either be warranty or not warranty. Given that you had a claim accepted for the exact same thing previously, you should get it and you should push to get it. It won’t be in their interest to make it easy for you. I’d go through the policy and make sure that everything that they’re saying is in line with the policy. If there’s anything vague then word it in your favour - they’ll word it in theirs!

cournioni wrote: »
    In fairness, most of it is listed in their hand books when you take out the warranty. For example, failures due to wear and tear are not covered, however sudden failure of a component leading to consequential damage is covered entirely.
    I deal with both manufacturer's and third party vehicle warranties on a daily basis. You're among the minority that actually read those details. Fair play.

Most of the time it's the selling dealer that buys the warranty and sells it with the vehicle. The customer is probably not even made aware that it's a third party warranty - until there's an issue.

But you can bet your ass that the sales person gave the customer the impression that it was a bumper to bumper, no hassle warranty.

It's shocking the amount of customers that contact me with a vehicle they bought second hand that had it's manufacturer's warranty well expired but were told that the warranty was still valid - in these cases, it almost always transpire that it's a third party warranty. It's not being made clear to the customer at the time of purchase that the warranty is a) not a manufacturer's warranty and b) it has limitations that the customer needs to be made aware of upfront.

There's also the customer who just hears X years warranty and then stops listening.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭bs2014

crosstownk wrote: »
    I deal with both manufacturer's and third party vehicle warranties on a daily basis. You're among the minority that actually read those details. Fair play.

Most of the time it's the selling dealer that buys the warranty and sells it with the vehicle. The customer is probably not even made aware that it's a third party warranty - until there's an issue.

But you can bet your ass that the sales person gave the customer the impression that it was a bumper to bumper, no hassle warranty.

It's shocking the amount of customers that contact me with a vehicle they bought second hand that had it's manufacturer's warranty well expired but were told that the warranty was still valid - in these cases, it almost always transpire that it's a third party warranty. It's not being made clear to the customer at the time of purchase that the warranty is a) not a manufacturer's warranty and b) it has limitations that the customer needs to be made aware of upfront.

There's also the customer who just hears X years warranty and then stops listening.

To be fair the customer shouldn't really have to worry about the warranty details. If a dealer sells a car with a 12 mth warranty (and then decide to do it on a 3rd party warranty which doesn't cover x or y fault) then the dealer should pay the difference. (I know this is not always the case). But that way of going we could all just buy cars privately and pay to take out 3rd party warranties

bs2014 wrote: »
    To be fair the customer shouldn't really have to worry about the warranty details.

Absolutely. But unfortunately, the customer is all too often left with the impression that the warranty is not as comprehensive as they were led to believe. The customer is the customer but the dealer is the professional. Yes, a contribution or top up to meet repairs that the third party warranty won't cover is good customer service - it separates the good dealers from those that cut margins too fine in order to just shift the unit from the forecourt.

crosstownk wrote: »

I wouldn’t normally to be fair, but we recently had a vehicle in that required a substantial amount of parts to be fitted due to a failure on the road shortly after it was purchased from a dealer with warranty. The customer was fully aware of what was covered and the limitations of cover, we just went through it to make sure that it was covered and that we would be able to get paid without issue. Everything was as it was documented.

We had another in that was fully covered for all work carried out, we just listed everything involved in the repair and the warranty company paid for the bill.

From the sound of things here, the issues appear to be with the sales person or dealership selling the warranty rather than the warranty company themselves. That or the policy holder just hears “warranty” and does not want to hear about any limitations.

• Advertisement

So Im still fighting with this warranty company.

Since they wouldn't cover "casings" I decided to put in a claim for a complete engine!!!

The back ground is this.

Customer complaint of a knocking noise in when taking off and oil on his driveway.

Brought it in and inspected it and found the bottom engine mount snapped and the 3 bolts that hold it on to the sump broken with the broken ends still in it. Timing cover seal leaking.

The correct repair should have been to replace the sump, engine mount and timing cover - around 15 hours labour in total as gearbox has to be removed to replace the sump.

So I requested a new timing cover,new engine mount and a couple of hours to drill and retap the holes for the engine mount - I actually tried to save the warranty crowd over a grand.

So they come back and say nope - casing aren't covered. However the sump should be as its the mount that caused the damage which is covered.

Again I get a big fat no.

So today I put in a claim for a brand new engine!!!! Just to mess with them.

€6900 euros versus a repair of just under 800.00

New engine fall within their Tc&Cs.

Lets ee where I go with this one.

Advertisement