Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Writers' Bloc - Creative Writing Off Topic Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah, that's a nice deadline I think I can hit but the utter lack of constraints - even a simple wordcount - is itself daunting. Will have to have a good think about direction. Maybe with such a broad horizon I can try that experimental piece ha.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

km85264 wrote: »
    That's probably worth a tenner, though it's hard to know what they'll be looking for : "We set no limits on length or presentation and allow combinations of prose and poetry as well as dialectic and colloquial speech patterns, unusual grammatical formulation and anastrophe."
    Still, all you can do is send your best work, then find the next competition.

I thought I was having a stroke whilst trying to understand what they were after :pac:

Manchester Prize is closing tomorrow at 5pm. It's steep at £18, but if you have your McManus stories hanging around, it's an option.
    https://www.mmu.ac.uk/writingcompetition/fiction-prize/

The Galley Beggar press one is closing on the 30th
    £10 entry with 6,000 word limit.
    https://www.galleybeggar.co.uk/prize

A heap open up in December usually.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah, same; I read the Competition "rules" and had to go over it again, sure I missed some obvious notes about word counts & subjects. Hey ho.

Been trying to think of more off-kilter ideas and it's really hard! It's interesting to realise your own limitations and natural biases. A lifetime of cinema obsession means my mental narratives and ideas tend towards the melodramatic or set-piece driven. Not so much conceptual flights of literary fancy.

Got the bare bones of an idea for the Wordsmiths comp.: not a particularly experimental one but I'm going to go for a slightly different execution if I can. The total lack of a word-limit or theme is oddly limiting but my idea seems like it should settle in at the 2,000 word-count.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I have, at long last, submitted the final edit of my poetry manuscript with Revival Press/Limerick Writers Centre. Looks like I'll have my debut collection out in time for Christmas!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

So on Thursday afternoon, by pure coincidence, I bumped into the very man I wanted to see.

We chatted for a few minutes before I casually dropped it into the conversation that I've been working on something. He's interested in seeing it, both the electronic copy of the document and the printed prototype. There's a possibility of this becoming a book before the end of 2018. Exciting times!

This was in May 2018. LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭km85264

I have, at long last, submitted the final edit of my poetry manuscript with Revival Press/Limerick Writers Centre. Looks like I'll have my debut collection out in time for Christmas!

Delighted to hear it

Delighted to hear it

Cheers!

It's been an amazing learning experience. Every time I thought I had the thing perfect, I got feedback that showed me just how much more room there was for improvement.

Maybe Pickarooney was right to be so harsh when I started posting here 14 years ago! :P

Sometimes you need to get a stark lesson in how to improve. Perhaps stark more than harsh :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Congratulations @Insect Overlord, that sounds fantastic! I look forward to reading it.

For all the rest of you, I think I'm going to have to tap out this month and next -- circumstances in my life have shifted dramatically in the last couple of days (nothing serious, don't worry) so I won't have time to write properly again until December or so. I look forward to writing something for a competition then. Although I suppose I could always just submit one of the stories I've written before but I feel like writing competitions are more fun when you are writing something fresh for them.

@km I'll get back to you on your story when I've had a proper chance to sit down, read it and think about it. Thanks again for sending it on.

• Advertisement

Congratulations @Insect Overlord, that sounds fantastic! I look forward to reading it.

For all the rest of you, I think I'm going to have to tap out this month and next -- circumstances in my life have shifted dramatically in the last couple of days (nothing serious, don't worry) so I won't have time to write properly again until December or so. I look forward to writing something for a competition then. Although I suppose I could always just submit one of the stories I've written before but I feel like writing competitions are more fun when you are writing something fresh for them.

@km I'll get back to you on your story when I've had a proper chance to sit down, read it and think about it. Thanks again for sending it on.

Hope all goes well with you. Keep on writing, it's very good for the head, just do it for the enjoyment.
    Don't worry about getting back to me :-)

I got the electronic files to preview/proof-read last night. I love the cover! They used the photograph I wanted for the front and cropped it beautifully. :) I'll have to blog about this stage of the process when it's all done.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Livvie

Congratulations.

Poetry is special - harder (imo) than straightforward story-telling.

Looks like an online launch is the only option for the book. At the moment it's scheduled for the same afternoon as the All-Ireland hurling final. :pac: I'm happy to share the link if anybody would like to tune in.

If not, "Inside Out" is still available for pre-order at https://limerickwriterscentre.com/product/inside-out-available-to-pre-order-now/ :)

Looks like an online launch is the only option for the book. At the moment it's scheduled for the same afternoon as the All-Ireland hurling final. :pac: I'm happy to share the link if anybody would like to tune in.

If not, "Inside Out" is still available for pre-order at https://limerickwriterscentre.com/product/inside-out-available-to-pre-order-now/ :)

I’m not sure if I’ll be available but please pass the link on. I hope you have a fantastic day, you deserve the reward after all your work.

Huge congratulations Insect Overlord. It must be so satisfying to hold it in your hands after all that work.

My Stinging Fly story was published today. I am chuffed.

https://stingingfly.org/2020/12/04/magnetic/

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Huge congratulations Insect Overlord. It must be so satisfying to hold it in your hands after all that work.

Beautiful story, Michelle, wonderfully written. I've been trying to get into Stinging Fly for over a decade and yet to get there. Congratulations!!

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Livvie

I've taken the liberty of tweeting this - I'm assuming you are ok with that, but just let me know if not. It looks awesome.

Livvie wrote: »
    I've taken the liberty of tweeting this - I'm assuming you are ok with that, but just let me know if not. It looks awesome.

No problem at all, and thank you! I was lucky to have a friend from my college days who takes beautiful photos and who was happy to let me use one for the cover. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

You have reason to be chuffed. That is a story to be proud of even if it never got published. It held my attention from the first line and I now so want to go there.

• Advertisement

echo beach wrote: »
    You have reason to be chuffed. That is a story to be proud of even if it never got published. It held my attention from the first line and I now so want to go there.

Thank you! :)

I want to go back there too. Might be dangerous though :pac:

By the way, EVERYONE GO AND READ AND VOTE on our VOAT

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058138677

Beautiful story, Michelle, wonderfully written. I've been trying to get into Stinging Fly for over a decade and yet to get there. Congratulations!!

Thanks K!

Yeah, I still can't believe it. I've been at it a similar amount of time. I've reached the peak now, I can retire!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

Thanks K!

Yeah, I still can't believe it. I've been at it a similar amount of time. I've reached the peak now, I can retire!

When you reach one peak there is always another one in the distance. You have to keep going. You can’t retire now. Your fans are waiting for more!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

Congratulations on the Stinging Fly publication, Das Kitty. Good story, interesting theme, the lines

"His lips were making a prayer of my name."

&

"There’s a glacier wedged on top that has a little curl of ice jutting up at its peak, like a buried woman’s finger beckoning the sky."

Really stood out.

This is amazing, Das Kitty, well done!

Between having writers here who have been shortlisted for the RTE Short Story Competition or had their own poetry collections published or have been published in The Stinging Fly (among other unrevealed accolades I'm sure), I think we should do what we can to keep this thread alive. It's nice to have something like this in the cybersphere with likeminded people.

And speaking of The Stinging Fly, did anyone submit during their latest round there? For the first time, I submitted both poetry and fiction. No expectations though, given the lockdown I wouldn't be surprised if they received thousands of submissions.

I think I've written a grand total of 2 new poems since September. I had a great rhythm going for a big chunk of the summer (reading and writing) but fell out of that again after a change of accommodation. I also burned myself out a bit with two big writing projects.

A well-respected Limerick poet mentored me with the first draft of my book back in 2018. I assumed back then that he'd be impressed with it once I followed most of his feedback. He recommended a couple of good books for advice on writing as well. I asked him to do a preview on my "final" draft last summer and he sent me back another big pile of new advice! :D Most of it was very effective, to be fair to him, and really helped me to strengthen the collection again before it was published.

I also chanced my arm with the adults' poetry collection contest at the Comórtais an Oireachtais. They extended their deadline for entries by a week or two, so, at the last minute, I compiled a set of 40 poems that I thought worked well together. Most of them were in English so I spent a full week translating 30+ poems into Irish, and editing the others to make them a little stronger. I didn't win the competition, but I did get some very encouraging feedback from the judges.

Between the two of those I felt that I'd drained myself creatively. It's a new year now though, so I think the energy is coming back. :)

And speaking of The Stinging Fly, did anyone submit during their latest round there? For the first time, I submitted both poetry and fiction. No expectations though, given the lockdown I wouldn't be surprised if they received thousands of submissions.

1853 stories :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7 lambswool

Disappointed I missed the stinging fly window but I think it would have been an outside chance to say the least! I've tried twice before I think.

• Advertisement

Between the two of those I felt that I'd drained myself creatively. It's a new year now though, so I think the energy is coming back. :)

Try not to beat yourself up about it too much - I've found that because of the pandemic, most people's creativity has been on the decline as well. Sometimes the best thing you can do to create is to rest and revitalise yourself.
    1853 stories :eek:

Haha, surely at a certain quality threshold that just becomes a lottery? Or maybe they are going to have to consider bringing out more than two issues a year. I have the feeling I won't be making the cut anyway.

Advertisement