Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Smugness about Brexit?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

You will find it is in some business interests for over regulation and barriers to entry.

Again, those who care about the free market hates these barriers. Big or Small, they should have no protection from a true free market.

Once again business is opposed to Brexit.

https://www.cbi.org.uk...into-economic-chaos/

The CBI is the confederation of british industry. And it’s fairly understandable that they don’t like Brexit because business people like markets and selling stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

She is ruling them far more then the EU

What does that even mean?

Like, literally, how do you even quantify that sentence?

More and more I get the feeling that some posters are just chatbots.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Dunno what planet you're on. On my planet we are worried about brexit's impact on our economy, the local job market and peace in NI. Personally I was hoping for aggressive attempts to grab business from them back when the vote was carried - but that was apparently not viable or not polite or something. I'm a little aghast at the pernicious form of nationalism that seems to be emerging in Britain, and the hostility towards Ireland and Germany. It's all strange and stupid, not good at all.

They also seem to be fascinated with Leo, he is of Indian descent ( the other colony they ****ed up) and he is gay.

I suppose though those who support the UK from Ireland would ignore all the negative crap written about him for these two things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

Dunno what planet you're on. On my planet we are worried about brexit's impact on our economy, the local job market and peace in NI. Personally I was hoping for aggressive attempts to grab business from them back when the vote was carried - but that was apparently not viable or not polite or something. I'm a little aghast at the pernicious form of nationalism that seems to be emerging in Britain, and the hostility towards Ireland and Germany. It's all strange and stupid, not good at all.

NI is totally dependent on the UK, for jobs, trade and surplus funding. The need the least amount of barriers to trade there not to the south. Anything that makes the north different to the rest of the UK is royally screwing them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

NI is totally dependent on the UK, for jobs, trade and surplus funding. The need the least amount of barriers to trade there not to the south. Anything that makes the north different to the rest of the UK is royally screwing them.
    That's an interesting point but I don't know how it relates to my post that you quoted.

• Advertisement

That's an interesting point but I don't know how it relates to my post that you quoted.

Well look at it from a UK perspective. If NI is to be taken off them under EU rules forever then they should say UK leaves as a whole or if NI is so important for to protect the EU land border and the UK can't get it back then it is best to dump it like a hot potato on the EU overnight. say "here, you have it then seening as you are so insistent"

If makes no economic sense to pump a single penny more into something like that.

By overnight, I mean overnight.

€11.4 billion deficit to keep the lights on along with the proportion of the national debt of the UK.

Unicorn thinking the UK should keep paying for this lost land to the EU.

So losing the UK is said to be like losing 19 member states by how much they put in and then dump the deficit would well make it 35 plus.

If its barniers red line, and it can't be moved, they should toss it across the table and say "here, catch"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

€11.4 billion deficit to keep the lights on along with the proportion of the national debt of the UK.

So losing the UK is said to be like losing 19 member states by how much they put in and then dump the deficit would well make it 35 plus.

If its barniers red line, and it can't be moved, they should toss it across the table and say "here, catch"
    NI would have to apply for membership of the EU were it to become independent.

The UK need to make a trade deal which will mean aligning a lot of their policies with EU policy.

The UK pay billions in fees to the EU, but also gain billions in grants from the EU.
    They pay more than they benefit, but don't paint this as a one way street.

As published today, the UK is losing near half a billion pounds in EU science grants per year.
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/brexit-costing-scientists-400m-a-year-in-grants-0lrc5r7wf

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

MrAbyss wrote: »
    Civil servants have a vested interest in the EU as it provides endless junkets and career moves. That's hardly an unbiased opinion.
    Bureaucrats support labyrinthine bureaucratic monolith shocker :D

• Advertisement

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    The UK pay billions in fees to the EU, but also gain billions in grants from the EU.
    They pay more than they benefit, but don't paint this as a one way street.

As published today, the UK is losing near half a billion pounds in EU science grants per year.
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/brexit-costing-scientists-400m-a-year-in-grants-0lrc5r7wf

Seriously, will you stop with this. It's so annoying to read that people are so gullible.

The EU is not a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

its kind of like a lotto syndicate at work

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Can you back that statement up with an explanation?

In your own time.

Seriously, will you stop with this. It's so annoying to read that people are so gullible.

Is it good for Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,143 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Smug? No. Worried, and not just about the effect of their stupidity on our country.

Brexit will widen the wealth gap between the elite 1% (who likely stand to make money shorting UK companies) and rest of the UK in a country which already has a huge problem with inequality. The fallout from this might well end up making the London Riots of 2011 look like a group teenage tantrum (which arguably, they were). I'm not exaggerating when I say I can see history books of the future citing Brexit as the beginning of a British Civil War.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Free Marketeers, the real cogs in the chain of any wealth in any economy, don't like the EU.

Free marketeers are in favour of exiting an open, free trading customs alliance, and instead want to move to heavily-tariffed restricted trade ??

The vast majority of UK business leaders were pro-Remain - not in favour of leave.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭blueshade

Just playing Devil's Advocate here, but how many of those businesses are moving to countries with cheaper labour costs and cheaper operational costs? Like when Dell buggered off to Eastern Europe thinking they'd get much cheaper workers and making a lot of people working for them in Limerick unemployed? Brexit has been a great excuse for a lot of things for a lot of people. Hell, if it hadn't been for Brexit we'd have had a general election and gotten rid of the incompetent pigs in our own Dail by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,143 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

blueshade wrote: »
    Hell, if it hadn't been for Brexit we'd have had a general election and gotten rid of the incompetent pigs in our own Dail by now.
    I love your optimism. We'd simply have different snouts in the trough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭blueshade

Sleepy wrote: »
    I love your optimism. We'd simply have different snouts in the trough.

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not optimistic about Irish politicians, especially when so many voters will vote for someone simply because they've always voted for their families or will vote for the party regardless of performance because they've always voted for that party. FF/FG are 2 cheeks of the same backside. The others are bloody useless too. That's the problem.

Gullible?

That's reality. The UK government will have to make up this shortfall, while at the same time paying their divorce bill. They're not going to save any money from Brexit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

blueshade wrote: »
    Just playing Devil's Advocate here, but how many of those businesses are moving to countries with cheaper labour costs and cheaper operational costs? Like when Dell buggered off to Eastern Europe thinking they'd get much cheaper workers and making a lot of people working for them in Limerick unemployed? Brexit has been a great excuse for a lot of things for a lot of people. Hell, if it hadn't been for Brexit we'd have had a general election and gotten rid of the incompetent pigs in our own Dail by now.

That is the nature of the global beast i'm afraid. Companies are loyal as long as the business conditions allow them to be.

In the example you have provided Dell Limerick transformed itself from a lowskill factory operation to a high skill outfit doing cloud computing amongst other things. Most companies do not like moving operations where they are made up of skilled labor.

Allot of the UK has been draining lowskilled factory jobs for years, if you look at some of May's early proposals you can see they fear losing the high skill knowledge sector (finance). The likes of brexit puts global companies in a position that its easier to move high skilled jobs than leave them where the are.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Civil servants have a vested interest in the EU as it provides endless junkets and career moves. That's hardly an unbiased opinion. It's big business that counts. Not Nigel the Labour appointed clerk in Brixton pissed off that no more free trips to a Transgender Farmers conference in Madrid.

Civil servants have a greater interest in seeing the UK economy thrive rather than destroying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 pardonme

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    constant, unfailing bumbling ineptitude

:pac:

AMEN Padre

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Again, those who care about the free market hates these barriers.

So the UK is going to leave the EU and set up new barriers to trade with its biggest trading partners. Okey-dokey.

The UK under Thatcher was a major force behind the setting up of the Single Market, and we all know how she was against free markets.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Civil servants have a greater interest in seeing the UK economy thrive rather than destroying it.

There are huge swathes of people across the UK, northern England especially, where if you tell them that Britain thrived in the EU - they will just laugh at you.

Continuing with it, when it has delivered nothing since 1973, would be the definition of madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭Odhinn

topper75 wrote: »
    There are huge swathes of people across the UK, northern England especially, where if you tell them that Britain thrived in the EU - they will just laugh at you.

Continuing with it, when it has delivered nothing since 1973, would be the definition of madness.

You'll find that much of the hardship faced by the north of england and wales were due to the london/southern centric policies of one maggie thatcher, not the EU.

topper75 wrote: »

Is it the fault of the EU that Northern England has not thrived, or the fault of the British govt and it's London centric views.

There has always been a north/south divide in England, well before the EU.

Also, what policies have been proposed by the British govt to remedy this situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,229 ✭✭✭✭endacl

The UK and Trump could form a bloc
    What would be in it for the States?

Advertisement