Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gender Reveal Parties?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,763 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

rob316 wrote: »
    Pure attention seeking

Thing is when I was growing up ‘attention seekers’ and ‘attention seeking’ was frowned upon...you’d be discouraged by your teachers, parents and friends from being one... now it seems to be encouraged at every turn, it drives me batshît crazy.... the start of it seemed to be with social media / big brother and all reality tv... why do you need to post on Facebook to tell people you are watching True Lies on Netflix with ‘bae’ ??? Why do you feel like telling people that the heating is fixed so you are having a snuggle with ‘bae’ ??? Why do you want to post a picture of you with ‘bae’ sharing a bowl of ice cream making a pouty face ? .... can you not just enjoy life without sharing every single element of life ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

rob316 wrote: »
    I have a friend his GF just had a kid, she puts up a picture of him dressed in a cute outfit with a card next to him saying how many months old he is, bang on time every month. Balloons and all in the picture, it's not just her I've seen others too do it. I thought it was over as the he turned one last month, but no 13 month old FB posted the other day. And everyone comments "cant cope xx", "i'm weak", "so cute", and she just replies "Aww thanks xxx". Pure attention seeking

Wait until they have 3 or 4 kids that will be knocked on the head soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,221 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Wait until they have 3 or 4 kids that will be knocked on the head soon enough.

Blessed with the first. Diagnosed with the third.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

Strumms wrote: »
    why do you need to post on Facebook to tell people you are watching True Lies on Netflix with ‘bae’ ??? Why do you feel like telling people that the heating is fixed so you are having a snuggle with ‘bae’ ??? Why do you want to post a picture of you with ‘bae’ sharing a bowl of ice cream making a pouty face ? .... can you not just enjoy life without sharing every single element of life ?

Caring more about looking happy on social media than being happy in real life seems to be a lot of people's main goal in life. Sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

“You have no idea how the child is going to identify...” - THAT’S the reason they’re not a good idea? You have a fair idea that they will most likely identify as the sex they are born with. Even if they don’t, the party happens when they are in utero. They’re present at the party but not present. So that’s hardly a reason not to have one. There are other, better reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

A girl i went to school with now lives in the states and had a gender reveal party.

All her friends gathered around her with black balloons that were to be burst at the same time and shower her with pink/blue confetti.

Except one balloon burst prematurely and ruined the surprise. This was all captured on Facebook.

“You have no idea how the child is going to identify...” - THAT’S the reason they’re not a good idea? You have a fair idea that they will most likely identify as the sex they are born with. Even if they don’t, the party happens when they are in utero. They’re present at the party but not present. So that’s hardly a reason not to have one. There are other, better reasons.

:D

Ms2011 wrote: »
    Whatever about a gender reveal party but a baby shower is thrown for the mother as opposed to by the mother.

Yeah but in a hen party kind of way. The expectant mother would often probably be disappointed if it didn’t happen. In the US anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭ArrBee

I thought this was going to be about some new Channel 4 reality/game show.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

You have no idea how that child is going to identify and it really is just placing all of your hopes and dreams on this child based on their gender.

In fairness most parents hope their child turns out heterosexual, more chance of a conventional life like they had, more chance of grandkids etc.
    So you can't blame them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

A couple I know did one.

All for show, they already knew they were having a boy.

Filmed the thing with their family there, popping a balloon to reveal blue confetti.

Video promptly put up on Instagram as the mother is a wannabe "influencer" (her followers are mainly her family and friends).

Absolutely pathetic stuff if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Caring more about looking happy on social media than being happy in real life seems to be a lot of people's main goal in life. Sad.

Absolutely. I call them the bimbo brigade. Up to their necks in debt but still trying to pretend they have an amazing lifestyle to the public eye. Must be tough trying to keep that artificial lifestyle going. No wonder so many of them crack from the pressure of it all.

In fairness most parents hope their child turns out heterosexual, more chance of a conventional life like they had, more chance of grandkids etc.
    So you can't blame them.

Nope, have to disagree. If they are happy and healthy that's what most parents hope for.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Nope, have to disagree. If they are happy and healthy that's what most parents hope for.

Ya but no matter what way you look at it your child been straight is an easier life. It's ok to say that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

Yep, most parents are absolutely 100% a-okay, totally absolutely grand no matter if the child "identifies" as a rhino or what have you

lemon.jpg

beejee wrote: »
    Yep, most parents are absolutely 100% a-okay, totally absolutely grand no matter if the child "identifies" as a rhino or what have you

lemon.jpg

Not saying that, just I disagree with the statement that "most parents hope for their child to be heterosexual".

I'd imagine it's not a major priority or concern for 'most' parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

It's not exactly something you can prioritise, but I think people would be playing games to pretend that isn't something of concern. 20 years ago? Nah. These days? You bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

What's really truly sad is the fact there's a thread about it and people in here seem to be really upset about baby showers and gender reveal parties. How pathetic. Oh the irony... :D

Why not live and let live? You would have to be some serious moany hole to complain about a baby shower.

:rolleyes:

What's really truly sad is the fact there's a thread about it and people in here seem to be really upset about baby showers and gender reveal parties. How pathetic. Oh the irony... :D

Why not live and let live? You would have to be some serious moany hole to complain about a baby shower.

It's just it usually seems to be a certain type that does these things, as has been mentioned attention seekers or for something to put on social media.

Unfortunately, its people who are way too busy for this rubbish who end up having to attend, gift in hand.

Pregnancy announcement, baby shower, gender reveal, followed by birth and christening etc......thats a lot of time and a lot of gifts.

I love a celebration but some just seem to milk it for everything and it's all me, me, me.

Maybe I'm just getting old and tired haha, or maybe Im just not one of those whos interested in 'going to the opening of an envelope'.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

A shakedown of the stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

padd b1975 wrote: »
    A shakedown of the stupid.
    We do live in a world where children graduate from kindergarten so this stuff is harmless social-media driven rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

It's just it usually seems to be a certain type that does these things, as has been mentioned attention seekers or for something to put on social media.

Unfortunately, its people who are way too busy for this rubbish who end up having to attend, gift in hand.

Pregnancy announcement, baby shower, gender reveal, followed by birth and christening etc......thats a lot of time and a lot of gifts.

I love a celebration but some just seem to milk it for everything and it's all me, me, me.

Maybe I'm just getting old and tired haha, or maybe Im just not one of those whos interested in 'going to the opening of an envelope'.

Or maybe you see it for what it is. A social media narcissist fest.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,078 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Because what today is just the odd one live and let live before you know has turned into the norm.

And plebs then expect, nay fooking demand, the rest of us doubters and complainers play along.

For example when I was a kid there were a few things at halloween like bobbing for apples, collecting nuts, trying to find the ring in the barmbrack or in some cases kicking someones cabbage patch out on the road.

Now 30 years later we have dressing up like a yank in some costume, leading the kids around the neighbour looking for sweets and worse still doing the house up with lights and decorations to a level we once had at christmas.

And christmas for some now is akin to making the house look like the end of the Las Vegas strip.

Actually as an aside why don't the greens come out and ask people to tone it down because of the waste of energy on having a santa and reindeers on top of the house along with a snowman in the garden.

And also the baby shower mullarkey.
    Another excuse to demand gifts.

And all of this shyte is imported from the US.

And all of this shyte is just about getting you to spend money on tat that is making some fecker rich whilst destroying the planet more often than not being given to someone you probably can't stand the sight of normally.

BTW I am not fecking religious at all, but sometimes they do have a point about the materialistic shtye.

Ahhh that felt somewhat fecking good.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

There isn't a limit on hopes for your children, so "all of the above and more" is what most parents hope for.

Baby showers - another thing for people to fork out for if they catch on. That’s something that affects a lot of people, many of whom don’t have endless disposable income. I just find them so extravagant and consumerist. The palaver around weddings is bad enough without adding to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Snails pace

There isn't a limit on hopes for your children, so "all of the above and more" is what most parents hope for.

Very true

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,125 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod

Not sure how we got here but the 'preferred sexuality of an unborn child' tangent is completely off topic - if you want to have that discussion I suggest you do so in the Parenting forum.

Lets get back to the topic of gender reveal parties as per the op

I did see some gender reveal confetti cannons in Aldi this week.

Imagine going to all the hassle of having a gender reveal party and it turns out the sonographer was wrong!

#omg #totesmorto #me #selfie

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I don't know why the gender would be such a big deal. Is it so people know what clothes to get them?
    They will be wearing hand-me-downs anyway.

#recycle/reuse/cheapbastard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,763 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I did see some gender reveal confetti cannons in Aldi this week.

Imagine going to all the hassle of having a gender reveal party and it turns out the sonographer was wrong!

#omg #totesmorto #me #selfie

#thatwillgetmemoreattentioniloveit

Advertisement