Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Working 9-5 - I want to be rich

• 15-10-2019 4:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Do you like your job?
    Can you see yourself doing it for 45 years been a slave to someone else profiting off you if not self employed.
    Do you like having your Monday to Friday controlled or even weekends controlled by your employer dictating your life?
    Ever be in bed on a Monday morning absolutely wrecked and contemplate what you are doing with your life and absolutely dreading get out of the bed when all you want it a lie in after a hard weekend on the beer.
    Do you find that life is slowly drifting you by having to work and not enough hours in the day to do the things that you like to do.

So I need ideas on how to get rich. If anyone can let me know i would greatly appreciate it.

I was thinking of maybe recycling used condoms, don't think anyone is doing that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Amass yourself a fair sum of money off your mundane job to be set aside to play the stock market.

If you know what you're doing and are doing well in the long run you can quit your job and survive off that, though it can be rather stressful keeping tabs of everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Get up at 4am, all the super rich folks do it!

Not sure what they do after that but it seems to work!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

frag420 wrote: »
    Get up at 4am, all the super rich folks do it!

Not sure what they do after that but it seems to work!

Yea rich people never sleep.screw that I'm going back to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

sleep your way to the top

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Van Doozy

Being self employed has distinct advantages, but many disadvantages too, which people on the outside looking in often under estimate. Don't forget that a lot of businesses either scrape by with a ton of hard work, or don't succeed at all.

A few disadvantages that spring to mind are being responsible for other people's incomes (not a problem if you're a sociopath or have a highly lucrative business), customers ringing you on Sunday mornings, having to work late at night or on Saturdays for no overtime, paying suppliers and staff before you pay yourself, taking risks etc etc

If you're lucky you'll do well and it will be worth it, but it isn't for a lot of people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,609 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Your either happy in yourself, or your not.

The money in your pocket won't change that. There's plenty of young very unhappy wealthy people in the cemetery that can attest to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Most people are too dumb to ever be rich, I'm one of them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭This is it

Why do only fools and horses work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

First you need a montage showing you getting progressively more successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Do you like having your Monday to Friday controlled or even weekends controlled by your employer dictating your life?
    Ever be in bed on a Monday morning absolutely wrecked and contemplate what you are doing with your life and absolutely dreading get out of the bed when all you want it a lie in after a hard weekend on the beer.
    Do you find that life is slowly drifting you by having to work and not enough hours in the day to do the things that you like to do.

You need to spend about 40 hours a week working anyway as we all need money and all working is sh*te. Even if you like your job there's always about 100 things you could be doing that's more interesting than work. If you prefer working to enjoying life you need to find new things to do in your free time. The problem is when you realise the counting down to the weekend is counting down to the grave it usually takes a huge effort and cost to change career. I'm 38 and still thinking of going back to college.

The problem with running a business is you have to have a ruthless streak, be able to say no and get angry with people when its justified.. unfortunately I cant seem to do any of this which is pretty annoying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

get a job with good stock options and a bonus culture as you will not mind working your a$$ off when you are well rewarded for your efforts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

If getting rich was easy, everyone would do it.
    Even if it were difficult and complicated, but there was a list of instructions on what you needed to, everyone would be doing it.

You hear these super rich people go on about how they were so smart and how the made their own luck and and how they made themselves from nothing and how they could do it all again...
    But the truth of it is, it's just luck. You can influence the odds and stuff but ultimately it is down to luck.
    Things like John interviews you for your Dream job instead of the usual interview Paul, and John doesn't like you but Paul would have and as a result you don't get the job.
    Someone decides there isnt budget for that training course you really need, but if you were employed last year you'd have got it.

Little changes like that, that are completely out your control can end up having a huge impact on your life.

I've a good job and make a good bit of cash, but I've been lucky this time round. There are plenty of people doing my job that are earning less.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

listermint wrote: »
    Your either happy in yourself, or your not.

The money in your pocket won't change that. There's plenty of young very unhappy wealthy people in the cemetery that can attest to that.

Bollix, I hate that **** "Money doesn't bring you happiness"
    Such bull****, It clearly does!!

If you know what to do with, it can bring you happiness.
    The best way it can make you happy is to buy you're friends and family things.

I noticed this myself only recently.
    Nothing makes me happier than getting my kid a new toy and watching play with it.

In terms of money itself, there are things that are more important like health and family.

Basically.... Money can help, but it isn't the be all and end all

Yeah its usually people who have plenty of money who say it cant bring happiness.. these people are muppets

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Even if it were difficult and complicated, but there was a list of instructions on what you needed to, everyone would be doing it.

You hear these super rich people go on about how they were so smart and how the made their own luck and and how they made themselves from nothing and how they could do it all again...
    But the truth of it is, it's just luck. You can influence the odds and stuff but ultimately it is down to luck.
    Things like John interviews you for your Dream job instead of the usual interview Paul, and John doesn't like you but Paul would have and as a result you don't get the job.
    Someone decides there isnt budget for that training course you really need, but if you were employed last year you'd have got it.

Little changes like that, that are completely out your control can end up having a huge impact on your life.

I've a good job and make a good bit of cash, but I've been lucky this time round. There are plenty of people doing my job that are earning less.

It's not just luck, i had the chance to be rich several years ago but made the wrong choice, now im just reasonably comfortable

Successful people make a lot more right choices than wrong ones

Greyfox wrote: »
    Yeah its usually people who have plenty of money who say it cant bring happiness.. these people are muppets

I disagree with you.
    Watch Rocketman.
    Elton John had all the money in the world and up until recently wasn't happy.

Drugs problems, relationships problems, career problems, issues with his parents, and accepting himself for who he is.

Money doesn't solve all your issues and instantly makes you happy.

If you won the lotto this week you'd be delighted, after a year though the novelty would wear off.
    If you gave up your job you'd be bored out of your mind after a couple of years.

However the money would mean you could do more meaningful things with your life. (IE to help society) And this would give you happiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,462 ✭✭✭blackwhite

TBH - this always seems like a cop-out to me.

If you don't work hard, and put yourself in the position to succeed, then "good luck" alone isn't going to make you rich (unless you do the Lotto).
    You put the hard yards in so when/if an opportunity comes around (luck as some like to call it) you are able to capitalise on it.

There's a saying thrown around by golfers a lot; "The more I practice, the luckier I get."
    That applies in many aspects of life

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    It's not just luck, i had the chance to be rich several years ago but made the wrong choice, now im just reasonably comfortable

Successful people make a lot more right choices than wrong ones

I'd argue they're a lot more willing to take a risk. (And they've been lucky)
    Was there risk involved in the chance you had to be rich several years ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

There's an element of luck. There's an element of hard work. There's an element of smart work.

I'm trying to think of the wealthiest people I know, there are a few multi-millionaires. One of them started off coming from a family that had money and a business, he was given a start by family money that he spent wisely in establishing and expanding a business for himself. Now his own businesses dwarf his original family business.

Another came from above average income family but nothing too wealthy, and has gone on to huge things in the US after making friends with the right people as a young man who afforded him opportunities most wouldn't have and after putting in the hard yards, now he's super wealthy and still relatively young at fifty.

As they say, the first million is the hardest to make! I well believe it. I think there are countless people who if given 100K to invest could end up very wealthy, it's just getting that initial lump together. Then again, there are countless others who if given 100K would have 0 in a year... so...

• Advertisement

blackwhite wrote: »
    TBH - this always seems like a cop-out to me.

If you don't work hard, and put yourself in the position to succeed, then "good luck" alone isn't going to make you rich (unless you do the Lotto).
    You put the hard yards in so when/if an opportunity comes around (luck as some like to call it) you are able to capitalise on it.

There's a saying thrown around by golfers a lot; "The more I practice, the luckier I get."
    That applies in many aspects of life

Not really.

As I said you can "influence the odds"
    Which is basically what putting your head down to study or work hard or practice is.

But just because you do those things doesn't mean you'll achieve what you set out to achieve.
    I know plenty or smart clever people (As I'm sure you do) that have worked their ballix off their whole lives to try and get ahead only for their luck to run out.

I myself am victim of this.
    I'm 36, at this stage in my life I should have had my mortgage about 66% cleared, a nice car not older than 5 years, a nice bike and 2 or 3 holidays a year.

But something that happened 2 years ago f**ked all that in the bin on me.
    Something that was out of my control and once it occurred I was unable to fix.
    lucked out! :(

Anyway now I'm trying to rebuild, I have a good job, but it will take approx 5/7 years to recover financially

• Registered Users Posts: 8,462 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Not really.

As I said you can "influence the odds"
    Which is basically what putting your head down to study or work hard or practice is.

But just because you do those things doesn't mean you'll achieve what you set out to achieve.
    I know plenty or smart clever people (As I'm sure you do) that have worked their ballix off their whole lives to try and get ahead only for their luck to run out.

I myself am victim of this.
    I'm 36, at this stage in my life I should have had my mortgage about 66% cleared, a nice car not older than 5 years, a nice bike and 2 or 3 holidays a year.

But something that happened 2 years ago f**ked all that in the bin on me.
    Something that was out of my control and once it occurred I was unable to fix.
    lucked out! :(

Anyway now I'm trying to rebuild, I have a good job, but it will take approx 5/7 years to recover financially

That's very different to your original "It's all down to luck"

Luck alone won't bring success - just as hard work alone won't either.

Denigrating the value of hard work and effort in contributing to success is an utter falsehood - and that's what I took issue with in your original post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

Staying fit and healthy isn't all that difficult — don't eat more calories than you burn and do moderate exercise a few times a week. And yet 70 percent of Irish men are overweight. You say that if it were easy, everyone would do it, but that just isn't the case. Many people will fail at endeavors that require even a small amount of effort or dedication.

Increasingly, research shows that resilience is a key aspect of success.

One person doesn't get the job he wants, so he blames the interviewer or the company culture or bad luck or some other external factor.

Another person doesn't get the job he wants, so he looks critically at his CV, his interview technique, his skill-set, and his industry knowledge. He takes steps to improve in all these areas, seeking advice, taking courses, learning from others in the field, and reading widely.

A few years later, the first person is more likely to be stuck in a job he dislikes, bemoaning his poor fortune and blaming others, while the second person is more likely to have got ahead because he took proactive steps in response to failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭machaseh

Life is basically 90% luck, and 10% hard work. You can achieve a lot through hard work, but if you were born in absolute poverty and destitution in a slum in India or something you're still not going to get very far even if you work hard all your life, and that is just the way it is. The better your circumstances that you were born and raised with, the better your odds of having your hard work pay off and become rich.

Within a 9 to 5 environment, the best odds to become rich would be:

- The right skills in the right industry (software development and the like)
    - Very good soft skills landing you a management role in which you can grow further in the organization
    - A good Sales position where you exceed your targets and land bonuses, requiring excellent Sales soft skills.

You are either a salesman or you're not. I am NOT a salesman. Yes, I have enough experience and skills to maybe talk myself into a sales position if I really try hard, but my personality is simply not good for sales. I am introvert and shy and am not very good at intrigue or things like that, so I would never do well in such a position. Same would be for any management position.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Running your own business is hard.
    Apart from that most fail it's just hard to get business. A lot of it is hard work and luck too. The grass is always greener always comes to my mind when people talking about having their own business.

Money doesn't solve all your issues and instantly makes you happy.

If you won the lotto this week you'd be delighted, after a year though the novelty would wear off.
    If you gave up your job you'd be bored out of your mind after a couple of years.

However the money would mean you could do more meaningful things with your life. (IE to help society) And this would give you happiness.

It's insulting to normal people when a rich person says money doesnt make you happy as it solves most problems and lots of money makes life 100 times easier. IF your wise with money it can make you very happy. Yes there are some things like people you care about not accepting who you are or family tragedys that cant be avoided but money covers most issues. You could invest the money in your health, making new friends or looking after your family that will lead you been happier. You can also pay people to do all the day to day things you find tedious like housework. Sure if you have kids you can pay someone to do all the work and you just do the few fun bits.

If I won the lotto I would never have to work again and this alone would make life miles better for me just as long as I continue to appreciate how lucky I am. I would NEVER get bored and there's too many films, books, games, tv shows, songs, documentaries etc to get stuck into. Also with lots of money you never run out of new places to visit, new hobbies or new friends to make.

blackwhite wrote: »
    That's very different to your original "It's all down to luck"

Luck alone won't bring success - just as hard work alone won't either.

Denigrating the value of hard work and effort in contributing to success is an utter falsehood - and that's what I took issue with in your original post.

It's not really.
    Let me invert it for you, how many people do you know that are absolutely cruising it through life.
    Never had to work hard, things always seem to come up trumps for them.
    They're not rich, but they have a rich lifestyle and don't have to work really really hard. I know more of these people than I do people that have made it through serious effort and hard work.
    they are were they are cause they got lucky.
    Staying fit and healthy isn't all that difficult — don't eat more calories than you burn and do moderate exercise a few times a week. And yet 70 percent of Irish men are overweight. You say that if it were easy, everyone would do it, but that just isn't the case. Many people will fail at endeavors that require even a small amount of effort or dedication.

No it's not, not for everyone.
    My mates can eat/drinks what ever the hell they want and still look great, they don't train/exercise at all.
    I've to hit the gym 5 days a week to stay fit(ish)
    They have the good genes, I don't. they were lucky in this respect, I was not.
    Increasingly, research shows that resilience is a key aspect of success.

I'd agree with you on this, if you keep trying you'll eventually achieve what you set out to achieve. But again this is playing the odds.
    The more goes you have the better chance you have at succeeding.
    It's insulting to normal people when a rich person says money doesnt make you happy as it solves most problems and lots of money makes life 100 times easier.

Yes I agree it can make it easier, but I thought we were talking about happiness (I should have been clearer)
    IF your wise with money it can make you very happy. Yes there are some things like people you care about not accepting who you are or family tragedys that cant be avoided but money covers most issues. You could invest the money in your health, making new friends or looking after your family that will lead you been happier.

I basically said this, you spend the money on the people you love to make yourself happy.
    You can also pay people to do all the day to day things you find tedious like housework. Sure if you have kids you can pay someone to do all the work and you just do the few fun bits.

I wouldn't pay someone to look after my kid after having my eyes opened for me in the last 2 years
    If I won the lotto I would never have to work again and this alone would make life miles better for me just as long as I continue to appreciate how lucky I am. I would NEVER get bored and there's too many films, books, games, tv shows, songs, documentaries etc to get stuck into. Also with lots of money you never run out of new places to visit, new hobbies or new friends to make.

You will get bored eventually, trust me
    Look at people that have achieved their goals early in life and stopped working cause they have a huge amount of cash in the bank.
    They go off the rails. Sport stars are a particularly good example of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,146 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

You'll never get rich from work. The Capitalist system is pretty much designed that way (Capital being more richly rewarded than Labour).

You get rich from luck: a lottery win, a high-risk investment working out, being an early employee in a start-up that blows up, being born with a great talent etc. The main contributing factor in wealth is simply winning the genetic lottery. I can't think of any of the Silicon Valley billionaires that came from poor backgrounds, almost all came from privileged upper middle class backgrounds: your parents have to be able to afford the tuition at Harvard before you can drop out of it!

Good decision making and a strong work ethic are requirements to being a self-made man / woman but without the benefit of family support for your education, social capital and / or wealth to fall back on they're rarely enough on their own. The "self made millionaire" of the American dream is exactly that: a dream, and it's no different here in Ireland: the Collison brothers weren't raised in O'Malley Park; the Happy Pear lads grew up in leafy Greystones; Michael O' Leary went to Clongowes; Denis O' Brien is from Ballsbridge; Enya while born with a talent had the family support to be educated at a boarding school and the family band to launch her career from. 99% of those making big money in top law/finance firms have had advantages the average person doesn't (family connections, expensive educations etc.)

Even if that's just the knowledge that your childhood bedroom will still be there for you should your entrepreneurial venture leave you penniless or if the high risk startup you took a job with goes belly up without paying you, it's a safety net not everyone has.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MrAbyss

Easy.

Rent, and do not get on the property ladder. Don't get married and if you want to, then tell your woman that a cheap civil service and no lavish reception is all she is getting. Do not have kids. Live in an area you can use public transport and not have a big car payment and running costs eating you alive.

SAVE THIS MONEY - put half into the stock market and continue to do the 9 to 5 job. Watch your disposable income grow and suddenly you'll have loads of money that your moron friends 'doing the whole wedding, settling down, kids, mortgage thing' OUT OF PEER PRESSURE do not have.

I discovered all this by observing the Homosexual Fiscal Model. Don't marry some bitch or knock her up! This is key to financial success.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭Cordell

Working 9-5 failed to make me rich in the last 20 years or so, I'd say it's fair to assume that's not going to make me rich anytime soon. Or ever, for that matter.
    Capital being more richly rewarded than Labour
    That is true and also it's fair: working yourself you can only do so much, paying others to work can accomplish much more - but also the failure is much worse, so it's not only the rewards, it's also the risk.

Advertisement