Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why is it so taboo for me to own a medical card?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

AulWan wrote: »
    Its automatically granted for the over 70s, without a means test.

If your father chooses to pay, he can, but he is throwing money away on principle as your mother is entitled to a medical card.

I'd be surprised if a GP took his money, to be honest.

No rules against him having all the private health insurance / paying for consultantsor private hospital he wants, but the GP visits should be free.

It's not automatically granted, about 95% of over seventies qualify however

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭KMPT

I wouldn't call it taboo, but more annoyance. I don't have one. Never had, and hopefully will be financially stable enough and healthy enough that I won't need to apply for one. But it's annoyance when I see people who don't deserve one with one. Depending on how sick you get, having a medical card can save thousands! It does annoy me somewhat that I have to pay up to €60 and other people get it for free. But the dole in general annoys me. As does the free money for having sex (child allowance). Basically, I don't want anyone else getting anything for free while I work for it.

Yes, I'm a bitter old man in my mid to late 30s.

You're quite young. Life changes so you don't know what your circumstances will be in future. Don't be so judgmental about who you think deserves the card. They won't get it without meeting the criteria and there are several reasons to apply for one. Please God it doesn't happen to you but you might need the free money as you say one day. I used to feel that way too until I was unemployed. Felt the same about social welfare recipients too until life gave me a reality check. Thank God for social welfare otherwise I don't know how I would've managed until things got better. Also because someone has a medical card doesn't mean they are running up the HSE bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    It's not automatically granted, about 95% of over seventies qualify however

You are correct. I guess I assumed it was automatic because I've never heard of an over 70 who didn't qualify! (One of my friends works processing the over 70s applications).

They've increased the threshold for over-70s in the budget too, by €50 per week for a single person and €100 for a couple.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,377 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

You are correct. I guess I assumed it was automatic because I've never heard of an over 70 who didn't qualify! (One of my friends works processing the over 70s applications).

They've increased the threshold for over-70s in the budget too, by €50 per week for a single person and €100 for a couple.

My parents don't qualify.

They are well below the weekly cut off point but have always been hard savers and that money is means tested. They're rearing their teenage grandchild and going to have to sort out college so they're just planning for all eventualities.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

The threshold is grotesquely high

• Advertisement

They are well below the weekly cut off point but have always been hard savers and that money is means tested. They're rearing their teenage grandchild and going to have to sort out college so they're just planning for all eventualities.

They could gift enough to their children to take care of such so as to qualify for the MC.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,377 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

The threshold is grotesquely high

I'm not disagreeing with you. I think it's a mental amount to have in savings but I was just using them as an example of people who don't qualify.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

Just so I'm understanding you correctly - they're well below the cut off point, but they're disqualified because of their savings? That's very unfair.

(Are they over 70?)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

GP only card?

I don't see anyone on €60k getting full medical card.

I do..

Some people have major outgoings. So some people's threshold is crazy high because of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Over seventies couple can earn over 70k combined and still qualify for two medical cards

Over seventies don't automatically get a medical card as someone earlier said, they get a GP visit card

Over seventies threshold at the moment is €900 combined gross income per week. Will be increasing but not in effect yet

Savings you can have up to €72000 without declaring it if you're married

€36000 if single

If you're a carer you're entitled to a free GP card. Likewise if you're seventy or over.

• Advertisement
Advertisement