Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

US diplomat's wife flees home claiming diplomatic immunity after fatal collision

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭NotToScale

Typically, friendly countries actually tend to waive diplomatic immunity for minor diplomats / embassy staff etc, but usually not the ambassador or senior diplomats, where the crime / legal issue is not directly involved with their diplomatic duty.

There's no particular reason why the US would inflexibly stick to diplomatic immunity to someone involved in a road traffic accident. It would just allow the police or coroner to conclude their inquiry and would not have created all this negative PR. It's certainly going to spin into a big tabloid mess in the UK.

It's pretty unlikely that someone in a genuine motor accident would end up with a custodial sentence. It sounds like someone who was used to driving on the other side of the road. I'm not entirely sure what the setup at the base she was coming from was but, I think they tend to follow UK driving rules, but often US vehicles.

I would also assume this could have implications for things like claims for compensation etc. Even insurance.

There's been growing irritation in Brussels (The city. Not the metaphor for the EU), for example, with various countries that would tend to have somewhat oligarch-driven governments allowing diplomats to get away with all sorts of crazy stuff under diplomatic immunity conventions. A lot of it had to do with road traffic incidents and damage to property etc etc, refusal to pay vast amounts of parking fines and all of those kinds of things. Some of it was more serious but a lot of it was just seen as somewhat obnoxious behaviour by diplomats being excused by their governments.

She was coming out of an unnamed airbase, which if it were a US one in the UK would tend to be like an American enclave inside. You typically have a lot of US cars, busses and everything else in use, although I think they do drive on the left i.e. the UK side, but you would often see a lot of left-hand-drive US vehicles in use.

Even internally goods and prices of various things are at US levels often without any kind of sales tax i.e. very low compared to the UK, particularly for things like petrol, alcohol etc.

I remember visiting the abandoned NATO base, which was largely US, in Iceland and the buildings were being converted to Icelandic use and literally everything had been done to US specs - the wiring, plumbing, appliances (all 120V not 230V), fire hydrants like a US city, all the street furniture and so on was entirely American.

The Icelanders were in the process of reusing buildings for civilian purposes - so they were being completely rewired to present day European specs, replumbed, reinsulated etc etc.

It was just bizarre to see all the US road markings, signage, abandoned trucks, cars and so on completely out of context.

Even all the appliances in the buildings that hadn't been converted were all totally useless as they were kinda big old 70s/80s American stuff on wrong voltage.

Some odd stuff in terms of international representation, bases and diplomacy.

All that aside, though it does show a certain degree of arrogance and contempt for the UK's "local" law enforcement and due process and I would fully expect that to be how it's interpreted in the UK media circles.

The nice and friendly approach would have been to agree to fully cooperate with the police investigation. Even if she were prosecuted, they could still invoke immunity and just accept that she be recalled to the US.

All they've done by just sprinting her back to the US of A is both come across as rather arrogant and also feed a conspiracy theory about what is most likely just a tragic accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

And according to this report, she was totally at fault, killing a 19 year old motorcyclist. Such a scummy thing to do, but will the UK government stand up for justice here? I suspect not.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/10/05/us-diplomats-wife-claims-immunity-leaves-uk-afterfatal-road/

It’s not a question of “standing up for justice”. Diplomatic immunity is what it is. You can cause real problems and just go home

NotToScale wrote: »
    It's the Trump Whitehouse so think about what a sensible government, with ethics and morals would do. Then just assume they'll do the complete opposite.

RIP Harry Dunn and my sincere condolences to his family and friends. It's an awful thing to have happened and it looks like it was a tragic accident, but whatever the circumstances it's compounded by cowardly hiding behind diplomatic protocol.

It just comes across as extreme arrogance by the US Government. It's not as if the UK is incapable of reasonably, fairly and proportionately investigating a fatal road accident and providing extremely high standards of due process.

It took less then an hour for someone to blame Trump for the death of a motorcyclist in the UK.
    I presume you can link me to incidents when Obama or Clinton got involved in diplomatic issues and insisted that the immunity be waived? I’ll just wait here while you post links.

"Police applied for a waiver of the immunity to pursue the case, but their request was rejected."

That's a decision made by the Ambassador in London or the State Department. So effectively, the Trump administration.

I mean can you imagine Ireland or even the UK insisting on that if a spouse of a diplomat were to have had a similar accident in NY or DC?

Post links of incidents were Ireland or the UK waived diplomatic immunity. You’re so sure they would. You must have evidence?

Incorrect. The immunity belongs to the State, not the diplomat (or dependents). Therefore, the State may waive it.

So you can show examples of when they did waive it. I’d love to read about them.

• Advertisement

splinter65 wrote: »
    It took less then an hour for someone to blame Trump for the death of a motorcyclist in the UK.
    I presume you can link me to incidents when Obama or Clinton got involved in diplomatic issues and insisted that the immunity be waived? I’ll just wait here while you post links.

Nobody blamed Trump for the death of a motorcyclist. Please do not twist my words. That's doesn't even make sense. I pointed out it was very likely a motor accident.

What I said was that this has unnecessarily created a PR and diplomatic tension and disrupted the possibility of concluding an investigation.

It does completely fit with the current State Department and Trump administration attitude. You're talking about a government that sent a hostage negotiator TO SWEDEN because a rapper was arrested for assult.

Of course they're not going to cooperate with anything like an investigation of a US diplomatic corps person. It doesn't fit the politics at all. They're above question.

Post links of incidents were Ireland or the UK waived diplomatic immunity. You’re so sure they would. You must have evidence?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/12/19/husband-british-un-diplomat-arrested-accusations-domestic-violence/

I'm not aware of any incident involving Irish diplomats where a scenario like this has ever cropped up. It's actually not something you'd tend to encounter very much with most diplomatic corps.

Even this incident sounds like a road traffic accident, not any kind of deliberate act. Fleeing the UK doesn't make any sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,485 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

“ She has since fled the country after she was told to leave the UK by US embassy officials.”

Absolutely scandalous. So much for Justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,545 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I would have guessed that there would be fairly clear lines on what would and would not be covered by diplomatic immunity, and this would fall outside that line.

A bit of a chance for Boris to show some testicular fortitude on an issue that the whole country would support him in.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,828 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

So you can show examples of when they did waive it. I’d love to read about them.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luigi_Ventura
    Is this not an example?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Takes a lot to p1ss me off but this is certainly one of those things

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭w4ntedman

While I would like to think I would stay and face the music if I were in the woman's shoes if I am being completely honest I think more likely than not my fear would get the better and me and I would do a runner too.

To be clear I am not saying it would be the right thing to do (or that she is in any way the victim or wronged here) nor am I saying it is right that she be protected from the consequences of her actions just that I can see myself doing something similar if the option were available.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,730 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

w4ntedman wrote: »
    While I would like to think I would stay and face the music if I were in the woman's shoes if I am being completely honest I think more likely than not my fear would get the better and me and I would do a runner too.

To be clear I am not saying it would be the right thing to do (or that she is in any way the victim or wronged here) nor am I saying it is right that she be protected from the consequences of her actions just that I can see myself doing something similar if the option were available.

Your username is appropriate.

On the face of it this is Dangerous Driving causing Death. I'd imagine that would result in a custodial sentence,, I don't know to what extent they'd take into account her unfamiliarity with the UK roads.

Shades of the Matthew Broderick case in the North in 1987, he got off with a fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

osarusan wrote: »
    I would have guessed that there would be fairly clear lines on what would and would not be covered by diplomatic immunity, and this would fall outside that line.

A bit of a chance for Boris to show some testicular fortitude on an issue that the whole country would support him in.

He needs to keep his new masters sweet to get a trade deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭w4ntedman

loyatemu wrote: »
    Your username is appropriate.

On the face of it this is Dangerous Driving causing Death. I'd imagine that would result in a custodial sentence,, I don't know to what extent they'd take into account her unfamiliarity with the UK roads.

Shades of the Matthew Broderick case in the North in 1987, he got off with a fine.

I suppose it's the fear of the custodial sentence I am referring to.
    I read about the Matthew Broderick case tonight , on the face of it sounds like it might be similar although I can't imagine a plea for leniency on the grounds of being used to driving on the opposite side of the road would go down too well if I found myself in a similar boat in the US.

Again I wouldn't claim any justification just an admission that I would take the cowards way out if it was open to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,025 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Zaph wrote: »
    Ridiculous that diplomatic immunity can cover families of diplomats as well. Presumably it exists as there may be things in a diplomat's line of work that flirt with the boundaries of legality, but their families wouldn't be involved in anything like that. It's like saying that parliamentary privilege extends to families of TDs, MPs, etc., so they can say whatever they like about whoever they like with no consequences.

No. It makes perfect sense. Your analogy is flawed.
    A country can always declare a "diplomat" persona non grata to get them out if they are acting the bollix.
    They can also put pressure on the other country to either waive the immunity or else have the person face charges in their own country in the case of having broken a local law.

The alternate to diplomatic immunity would be to have been able to arrest and lock that lady up and within minutes have the wife a UK diplomat to the US dragged out of her bed in DC and thrown into a cell while they investigate her for spying or some other Trumped up charge.

That's how the system has to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Don't be so sure that there have not been instances splinter.

There have and at least one was a drink driving instance involving one of our own in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

It's the Trump Whitehouse so think about what a sensible government, with ethics and morals would do. Then just assume they'll do the complete opposite.

RIP Harry Dunn and my sincere condolences to his family and friends. It's an awful thing to have happened and it looks like it was a tragic accident, but whatever the circumstances it's compounded by cowardly hiding behind diplomatic protocol.

It just comes across as extreme arrogance by the US Government. It's not as if the UK is incapable of reasonably, fairly and proportionately investigating a fatal road accident and providing extremely high standards of due process.

I love how people can just turn anything into a great anti donald rant.

Giving the real estate mogul free real estate in your mind, no need to worry, only 4 more years kid.

Yup! Because Trump era diplomats have behaved totally normally at all times and are above any kind of criticism. We all know that.

I get a bit fed up with the tribalism in the US and UK political sphere. No administration is exempt from critical comment. At least not in the free world anyway.

To be fair, comparing an English investigation of a road traffic incident with Egyptian mass trials of alleged political dissidents is a bit like comparing not just apples and oranges, but maybe apples and the planet mars. They're both fairly round but that's about where the similarities end.

All I'm saying about the current US administration is that their international relations with friendly countries that have legal systems and due process rights that are as good, and in many cases a lot better than the US itself have been abysmal.

I'd be equally critical of any administration doing similar.

I'm not making a comment for the sake of politics. I'm critiquing the state or US international relations under Trump and I think that's completely reasonable to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I get a bit fed up with the tribalism in the US and UK political sphere. No administration is exempt from critical comment. At least not in the free world anyway.

It's even worse when people here are all out trump lovers. Its wierd at best.

To be creaming yourself about and defending him unconditionally is odd . The way some british and american people go on on twitter about johnson and trump is just creepy. They're being such obvious ***** in plenty of circumstances yet you have people that must have mental deficiencies posting rubbish like " best pm ever" or "best president" on twitter. It comes across as brainwashed. Ffs, neither could honestly describe themselves as that.

But irish people doing it is another level altogether. ****ing hell, if someone is being a ****, at least have the balls to say it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

So this thread turned into a pro/anti trump wankathon, sad cnuts

• Registered Users Posts: 81,626 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I love how people can just turn anything into a great anti donald rant.

Giving the real estate mogul free real estate in your mind, no need to worry, only 4 more years kid.

You never seem too far from a clutch of your "MAGA 2020" etc. pearls

• Registered Users Posts: 27,174 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The state department is behaving in the same manner as other government would deal with a request, regardless who the office holder is.
    Can you provide a link to any government which removed diplomatic immunity status from any of its citizens. I certainly can't. Similar incidents happened in 93 and 97 in Russia , US didn't remove immunity from there citizens then either and I'm positive Trump wasn't president then.

I seem to remember an Irish diplomat in either San Francisco or Chicago having diplomatic immunity removed to face a drunken driving charge in the 1990s

blanch152 wrote: »
    I seem to remember an Irish diplomat in either San Francisco or Chicago having diplomatic immunity removed to face a drunken driving charge in the 1990s

Yep. Infact the local district attorney refused to allow it, as he was not on official business. Supposedly took a load of parked cars out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Sky news identified the driver as Anne Sacoolas

That's some level of detail Sky have released.

Wife of a diplomat that didn't work at the embassy, but at a spy base ?

Agreement between UK and US for immunity at spy base. I've heard it all now.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

STB. wrote: »
    That's some level of detail Sky have released.

Wife of a diplomat that didn't work at the embassy, but at a spy base ?

Agreement between UK and US for immunity at spy base. I've heard it all now.

It's an interesting one , chances are she or her husband aren't diplomats at all but CIA asset or management

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

I thought exactly the same when I heard the story. "Diplomat" can be used very *broadly* sometimes.

I felt bad for the young fellas family when I saw them on sky news, but the Brits would not hesitate to protect one of their own if the shoe was on the other foot too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

What an absolute wench of a woman. Diplomatic immunity should not extend this far.

Advertisement