Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Antifa [Mod Warning on post #1 - updated 08/08/19]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭SexBobomb

Boggles wrote: »
    At least we agree he isn't a journalist, he isn't, this wasn't an attack on the "Freedom of Screech".

But who said he was an acceptable target?

I don't agree with you that he's not a journalist I'm trying to indulge you to try and follow the "logic" that its ok to attack him because "he's not a journalist" as you say. And you still haven't answered why he wold be an acceptable target if he's just a guy on the street ?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

SexBobomb wrote: »
    Why does him not being a journalist make him an acceptable target ?
    SexBobomb wrote: »
    I don't agree with you that he's not a journalist I'm trying to indulge you to try and follow the "logic" that its ok to attack him because "he's not a journalist" as you say. And you still haven't answered why he wold be an acceptable target if he's just a guy on the street ?

I did, I answered with a question because it made no sense.

Here it is again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Clearly?

Grand link where I clearly defended Antifa.

In your own time, good lad.

In your own time please present me with any posts where you condemned the attack.

By the way defending an attack doesn’t need so many words.

He’s not a journalist is the same as

[the attack was justified because] he’s not a journalist.

Else why bring it up.

Same with

[the attack was justified because] he’s a white supramicist.

Or has doxxed people. Or whatever you’d said that didn’t involve criticism of the attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

Although many of those beating him up probably were both and certainly all were white.

You're desperately trying to link this incident to be a race attack when it wasn't. Portland is a majority white city hence most of the local counter protesters would be white with a few blacks and Asians amongst their ranks.
    Race is important here because white people beating up on Asians should be frowned on by most people on the left. You’d think.

Tell that to the defenders of the far right here.
    These accusations of him being far right or indeed of doxxing are to my mind unfounded.

The Portland mayor needs to get his act together on these demonstrations.

Then why does an conservative alt-right agitator find himself filming in your face in the middle of the counter protesters to the Proud boys?

Never seen him filming the Proud Boys at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

In your own time please present me with any posts where you condemned the attack.

You made the claim, back it up. I can't conjure your fiction for you.
    You’re clearly defending Antifa here.

Hurry up, if it is clear you should have no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

Meanwhile far-right extremists killed at least 50 people in the US in 2018 whereas Antifa killed, I think it's 0, but I stand to be corrected on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Boxing.Fan

Meanwhile far-right extremists killed at least 50 people in the US in 2018 whereas Antifa killed, I think it's 0, but I stand to be corrected on that.

Go make a thread about it instead of engaging in whataboutery.

Boxing.Fan wrote: »
    Go make a thread about it instead of engaging in whataboutery.

Nope, because all we're hearing here is how the far left Antifa are the scum of the earth for attacking this guy, with a good few of the main right-wing wingnut posters in here giving out about it, and you're trying to speak as if your lot are blameless?

Forget it, there is little to no equivalency between them so if you think we're going to listen to the likes of you pontificate about how these guys must be Nazis you can take a look at what's going on by your fellow travellers too.

Nope, because all we're hearing here is how the far left Antifa are the scum of the earth for attacking this guy, with a good few of the main right-wing wingnut posters in here giving out about it, and you're trying to speak as if your lot are blameless?

Forget it, there is little to no equivalency between them so if you think we're going to listen to the likes of you pontificate about how these guys must be Nazis you can take a look at what's going on by your fellow travellers too.

It's ok to say both far left and far right are scum though... this thread is about the far left (antifa)

And what are you talking about travellers for I dont know what you mean?

Your 'fellow travellers' - other right wing ideologues that are like you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Calling antifa scum does not equate to defending far right. Some people are so entrenched in the “pick a side” narrative they are incapable of thinking for themselves.

Social outcasts banded together. Just look at them. Have you ever seen such a bunch of losers in your life?

And get to feel tough and part of something for the first time in their lives.

Your 'fellow travellers' - other right wing ideologues that are like you.

What's wrong with being right wing or left wing?

And get to feel tough and part of something for the first time in their lives.

I firmly believe its stems from being bullied at an early age. They certainly look the type that would have been bullied. Payback time eh lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Any violence is abhorrent, thankfully Anti-fa don't have the praise of the US President.

Calling antifa scum does not equate to defending far right. Some people are so entrenched in the “pick a side” narrative they are incapable of thinking for themselves.

Anyone that doesnt subscribe to the far left warped idealogy is a far right thug.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

Portland is the city where a far right supporter tried to attack a Muslim woman and a young black girl on the train. Two ordinary people who stood up to the far right supporter were stabbed to death. So the far right would not be welcome in their city by all people.

klaaaz wrote: »
    Portland is the city where a far right supporter tried to attack a Muslim woman and a young black girl on the train. Two ordinary people who stood up to the far right supporter were stabbed to death. So the far right would not be welcome in their city by all people.

Cool story bro, throw a link up there so we can have a gander.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

These scum are vicious, it's not just punches being thrown. The day of the incident, they smacked innocent people in the head with crowbars which imo, isn't far off attempted murder.

• Advertisement

Cool story bro, throw a link up there so we can have a gander.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Portland_train_attack

A news article would be better. I'm not reading a wiki page.

peddlelies wrote: »
    These scum are vicious, it's not just punches being thrown. The day of the incident, they smacked innocent people in the head with crowbars which imo, isn't far off attempted murder.

BUT THE FAR RIGHT!!!!! WHITE SUPREMACISTS!!! NAZIS!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

BUT THE FAR RIGHT!!!!! WHITE SUPREMACISTS!!! NAZIS!!!!!

What's your point, one balances out the other? 'You know what, them Nazis aren't so bad after all'? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

That tweet from Ricky Gervais is so on point, for liberals who say words can hurt actually engaged in physical violence its crazy.

They will go to far at some stage and will be outlawed like other groups just a matter of when. For now though they are doing damage to the side they represent and is partially why i believe they are allowed still exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

What's your point, one balances out the other? 'You know what, them Nazis aren't so bad after all'? :)

The only reasonable point or conclusion is to label groups like antifa as domestic terrorists and do the same to any group that purposely engages in physical violence to achieve political goals. That mayor has a lot to answer for, in 2020 it's only going to get worse. Same applies to neo nazi groups.

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/09/01/antifa-charlottesville-violence-fbi-242235

"Federal authorities have been warning state and local officials since early 2016 that leftist extremists known as “antifa” had become increasingly confrontational and dangerous, so much so that the Department of Homeland Security formally classified their activities as “domestic terrorist violence,” according to interviews and confidential law enforcement documents obtained by POLITICO...

Previously unreported documents disclose that by April 2016, authorities believed that “anarchist extremists” were the primary instigators of violence at public rallies against a range of targets. They were blamed by authorities for attacks on the police, government and political institutions, along with symbols of “the capitalist system,” racism, social injustice and fascism, according to a confidential 2016 joint intelligence assessment by DHS and the FBI."

Is there anyone at all that can tell me why they all have school bags, is it part of the uniform along with the masks. Have they got their spare clothes In the bag so as to get changed before they go home to mom?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I must say the liberal Democrats have gone full circle now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement