Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home care package

• 13-10-2019 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Apologies if this is the wrong forum, just wanted to see if anyone can help. My father had a fall and broke his arm earlier in the year, was in hospital and then the local community hospital. He was told in may that he could go home once he had home help but is still stuck in there.
    He had home help for about 4 years before this and has been in hospital then the community hospital twice before. On these occasions as soon as he was fit to go home, the home help was put back in place.
    This time the community hospital has said he has to wait to be approved for home help which we didn't question, but recently one of the nurses said because he previously had home help the package should have still been in place.
    Does anyone know if this is true?
    Also I've been in touch with the public health nurse a few times who organises the home help for our area, she says its nothing to do with her until she gets the go ahead to allocate home help. Is there any one else I can contact to get an answer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

You should post this on the Caring forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Ralphyroo

Thanks I'll message the moderators and have it moved

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭alibab

His existing home care package that he always has should still be in place and just need to be reactivated etc . If there was a increase in hours applied for they could be a problem alright as no funding for new packages at present . But existing old package can usually just be activated by community hospital contacting home care package team . Sounds strange unless there are other reasons but unusual fo delay a discharge of someone fit to go home .

alibab wrote: »
    His existing home care package that he always has should still be in place and just need to be reactivated etc . If there was a increase in hours applied for they could be a problem alright as no funding for new packages at present . But existing old package can usually just be activated by community hospital contacting home care package team . Sounds strange unless there are other reasons but unusual fo delay a discharge of someone fit to go home .

Thanks the nurse said the same. They did apply for an increase in hours, he had home help morning and evening and they've put in for afternoon hours.
    I might give the home care team a ring myself then if I can find a number.
    Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭TrixIrl

Did you get sorted? If not let me know what county you're in and I might have a contact for you.

• Advertisement

TrixIrl wrote: »
    Did you get sorted? If not let me know what county you're in and I might have a contact for you.

No not yet, my father has a kidney and chest infection at the moment so I haven't got around to chasing it up. I'm in donegal, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭TrixIrl

Ralphyroo wrote: »
    No not yet, my father has a kidney and chest infection at the moment so I haven't got around to chasing it up. I'm in donegal, thanks

Sorry to hear that, hope he feels better soon

The Home Help Coordinators in Donegal are based in St Josephs so you'll get them on
    074-9191735.

If you are sure he could manage on the level of hours he had before his hospital admission it's only a matter of calling the office with a discharge date and they will reactivate the package.

But (and it's a big but) if he needs an increased package he is best to stay where he is until it's granted. Once he's discharged, his priority level for extra hours will change and all those in hospital will be ahead of him.

There is an embargo at the moment but the usual winter surge and next year's budget being granted normally sees an input of funding around November.

TrixIrl wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that, hope he feels better soon

The Home Help Coordinators in Donegal are based in St Josephs so you'll get them on
    074-9191735.

If you are sure he could manage on the level of hours he had before his hospital admission it's only a matter of calling the office with a discharge date and they will reactivate the package.

But (and it's a big but) if he needs an increased package he is best to stay where he is until it's granted. Once he's discharged, his priority level for extra hours will change and all those in hospital will be ahead of him.

There is an embargo at the moment but the usual winter surge and next year's budget being granted normally sees an input of funding around November.

Thank you so much you've been a huge help

Advertisement