Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

15-10-2019, 21:53   #16
Robert ninja

Tim Sweeny interview canceled by obsessed journos. It was going to be about free expression and the Chinese related news going on right now. I would've loved to have heard it.

Another interview silenced although this time at the request of the family

Advertisement
15-10-2019, 22:02   #17
johnny_ultimate
Production Model EVA-02

It’s almost like being a toxic, creepy man child has consequences, TheQuartering!
16-10-2019, 13:40   #18
one armed dwarf

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.Kiki View Post
Gamergate had 1 good idea (journalistic integrity) and got derailed because the Internet is full of Americans who can only see the world in terms of "Us vs Them".

Clickbait is still here.
Kotaku occasionally posts good articles, but more often posts inflammatory or outright false BS.
RockPaperShotgun has gone to shít.
As someone who was on /v/ a lot when that stuff started to kick off, I don't believe for a minute it had anything to do with 'journalistic integrity'. 'Journalistic integrity' is a shield similar to how white nationalists neuter their image with the label 'alt right'.

If 4chan archive is still a thing then I'm sure you could probably find these old threads somewhere and the pathetic attempt they made to soften their image with 'Vivian James' (****ing lol). 'GamerGate' was how they packaged it up in a way that could reliably deceive people as to its true purpose.

Just think for a minute, was there ever really any meaningful conflicts of interest exposed by GG? The Zoe Quinn thing was just predicated on a salty blogpost by an ex. I remember once a big deal was made because a number of gaming journos shared a chat group, like this was some massively incriminating thing. The objective was to taint and attack, never to expose. It didn't matter what the evidence was, so long as it could be forced to fit a narrative. GG was about trying to assert an identity that was perceived under threat (sounds familiar..)

Before the GG label had even reached critical mass it was very much a targetted harassment campaign against public figures who this group didn't like much. So Zoe Quinn, Phil Fish (who we don't hear much from anymore) and the one who did Tropes v Women (forgot her name right now).

That's not to say I'm going to run to the defence of everything Kotaku has ever written because it can be click-baitey and they can go for low hanging fruit. But it's the nature of that business I guess and it never warranted the response that happened.

Anyway that's my 2c, speaking as someone who shamefully bought into this rubbish once and is familiar with the mental gymnastics that got used
Thanks from:
16-10-2019, 15:21   #19
T. Hanks^

I've absolutely no idea what's going on with Blizzard the company but I see it popping up everywhere. Haven't bothered to read into it.
16-10-2019, 16:08   #20
Retr0gamer
Category Moderator

Basically Blizzard banning people protesting about a genocidal regime and also banning people in the vicinity of people protesting about a genocidal regime. Then release a statement saying that Winnie the pooh is grand and not to be slagging him off which makes things worse.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
16-10-2019, 16:46   #21
one armed dwarf

It's interesting how hard Blizzard have worked at cultivating an inclusive and progressive image when it suits them, but when speaking truth to power hurts the bottom line they quickly become cowards.
16-10-2019, 17:21   #22
Retr0gamer
Category Moderator

Who would have thought that selling out to Activision would make them into a greedy morally bankrupt entity?

I feel sorry for the PR people dealing with the statements that they are being told to put out by management and shareholders. Would be nice to see how these people would react if they had to put a face and name to their utterly uncompassionate statements.
17-10-2019, 11:05   #23
Grumpypants

I'm lost, do we want politics kept out of games? Or do we want politics in games? I'm not sure what to be outraged about this week.

Hopefully, the Quartering makes 18 videos about a tweet to get me back on track.
(2) thanks from:
17-10-2019, 11:10   #24
Varik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retr0gamer View Post
Who would have thought that selling out to Activision would make them into a greedy morally bankrupt entity?
Blizzard didn't sell out to anyone, and as a subsidiary of Vivendi it'd be the other way around as they came out as majority shareholders.
Advertisement
17-10-2019, 12:45   #25
K.O.Kiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpypants View Post
I'm lost, do we want politics kept out of games? Or do we want politics in games? I'm not sure what to be outraged about this week.

Hopefully, the Quartering makes 18 videos about a tweet to get me back on track.
I'm fine with politics being in games.

Appeasing to horrid regimes like China though? Feck right off!
Thanks from:
17-10-2019, 13:04   #26
Retr0gamer
Category Moderator

I'm also not fine with companies pretending their games have a neutral stance to try and have their cake and eat it and appeal to a wider market when their games quite clearly are making a political statement. Grow some balls you pathetic ****s.

I see the end point of this where all bad guys in games with have stereotypical Italian accents as an Italian accent can never be racist (it's true, I don't make these rules).
17-10-2019, 16:37   #27
K.O.Kiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retr0gamer View Post
I'm also not fine with companies pretending their games have a neutral stance to try and have their cake and eat it and appeal to a wider market when their games quite clearly are making a political statement. Grow some balls you pathetic ****s.

I see the end point of this where all bad guys in games with have stereotypical Italian accents as an Italian accent can never be racist (it's true, I don't make these rules).
Reminder that Homefront changed the antagonists from communist China to "unified North Korea".
19-10-2019, 23:04   #28
Robert ninja

More hitpieces, more blackmailing from the usual anti-gg clique. She admits to writing lies about GG for money, not that anyone needs them to admit that.

https://boundingintocomics.com/2019/...mail-campaign/

https://twitter.com/RLewisReports/st...17994806706176

Once you're on the wrong side of these creeps they'll write anything to try and smear your reputation. Richard Lewis does not deserve this shyte.
20-10-2019, 05:50   #29
Canis Lupus

^^

I'm confused about why this is important.
20-10-2019, 09:14   #30
Sonics2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canis Lupus View Post
^^

I'm confused about why this is important.
It's not.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion