Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

15-10-2019, 13:25   #226
CastorTroy

The Room 3. Enjoyable series of games to play using only the mouse. Transitioning can be slow at times, but small enough areas to navigate.

Really must start Myst. For anyone here who's played Myst, which is the version to play - Myst or RealMyst?
Advertisement
17-10-2019, 14:19   #227
Gamer Bhoy 89

Send a message via Skype™ to Gamer Bhoy 89
Game: Forbidden Siren 2
Platform: PlayStation 2

First got this game in 2006, could barely remember it. I hadn't played it since and I sold my PS2 at the time with all my games. Turns out the game is actually pretty expensive nowadays.

My fiance got it for my Xmas last year and I decided to hold off playing it until Halloween for my YouTube channel.

Finished it this morning.

It's...............fine. It hasn't aged really well in some aspects, particularly the controls. I also didn't find it that scary. Maybe it's because you have a machine gun and/or a pistol like, all the time.. It kinda removes the scare-factor. From an atmosphere standpoint, though, it's really creepy and uncomfortable. I love the setting of these games, they're just disgusting twisted in the best possible way.

If you're looking for a classic survival horror that could nearly rival Silent Hill without the fanfare, then Siren 2 is the way to go. I wouldn't bother with Siren 1, the controls are even worse in that one

2019 Games Beaten So Far
GAMEPLATFORM
SPYRO THE DRAGONPLAYSTATION 4
OUTRUN (SEGA AGES)NINTENDO SWITCH
DETROIT: BECOME HUMANPLAYSTATION 4
RESIDENT EVIL 2PLAYSTATION 4
SUPER MARIO BROS.NES
FIFA 17PLAYSTATION 4
FIFA 18PLAYSTATION 4
CASTLEVANIA II: SIMON'S QUEST (REDACTED)NES
CASTLEVANIA III: DRACULA'S CURSENES
FLASHBACK: 25TH ANNIVERSARY EDITIONPLAYSTATION 4
FIFA 19PLAYSTATION 4
STREETS OF RAGE 2 (SEGA MD CLASSICS)NINTENDO SWITCH
MORTAL KOMBAT 11PLAYSTATION 4
THE MESSENGERNINTENDO SWITCH
ORI AND THE BLIND FORESTXBOX ONE
SHAKEDOWN: HAWAIININTENDO SWITCH
CELESTENINTENDO SWITCH
SPEC OPS: THE LINEPC
TETRIS EFFECTPLAYSTATION 4
GRAND THEFT AUTO: LIBERTY CITY STORIESPLAYSTATION 2
GRAND THEFT AUTO: VICE CITY STORIESPLAYSTATION 2
INSIDEPLAYSTATION 4
LIMBONINTENDO SWITCH
A WAY OUTPLAYSTATION 4
METAL GEAR SOLID 2: SONS OF LIBERTYPLAYSTATION 3
GUNSTAR HEROES (SEGA MD CLASSICS)NINTENDO SWITCH
METAL GEAR SOLID 3: SNAKE EATERPLAYSTATION 3
METAL GEAR SOLID 4: GUNS OF THE PATRIOTSPLAYSTATION 3
METAL GEAR SOLIDPLAYSTATION
METAL GEAR SOLID: THE TWIN SNAKESNINTENDO GAMECUBE
DOOM (93)PLAYSTATION 4
GOLDEN AXESEGA MEGA DRIVE
STREETS OF RAGE 2SEGA MEGA DRIVE
GEARS OF WAR 4PC
FORBIDDEN SIREN 2PLAYSTATION 2
19-10-2019, 21:06   #228
The Phantom Pain

Red Dead Redemption 2.
Destiny 2: Forsaken, Warmind and Curse of Osiris.
Assassin's Creed III Remastered.
Assassin’s Creed III: Tyranny of King Washington.
Far Cry 5.
What Remains of Edith Finch.
Mass Effect 1.
Dishonoured 2.
Grand Theft Auto V.
Dishonoured: Death of the Outsider.
Fallout 4.
Infamous: Second Son.
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves Remastered.
Detroit:Become Human.
Assassin's Creed Liberation Remastered.
Borderlands 2 (Handsome Collection).
Borderlands 2: Captain Scarlett & Her Pirate's Booty DLC.
Final Fantasy 15.
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered.

No Man's Sky. I platinumed No Man’s Sky and I think I’ve completed it? I say “think” because the game pretended to give me a choice during its climax but then said, “don’t worry, we’ll still be here when you make the right choice.” It was at this point that I finally said, “I’m done” and peaced out for good.

It felt wrong getting the platinum trophy long before beating the campaign as most games at least require you to finish the critical path first but that, in itself, exposes the true colours of No Man’s Sky: In gameplay terms, there’s no “end” and therefore there’s no point. It's a game that is designed to keep you compulsively playing without a satisfying sense of completion. It’s a checklist of chores that constantly refreshes in order to create more checklists of chores.

In story terms, it tries to justify this loop with fortune cookie messages like, “life doesn’t necessarily end with death” and “it’s the journey that matters” or some nonsense like that. But when your core gameplay is built on only chores and checklists you best believe it is very much the completion that matters! Chores are not inherently “fun” per se so what makes them worth it is that sense of accomplishment when they’re successfully completed, never to be worried about again.

It was irresponsible for reviewers to enthusiastically recommend this game after the Next update without leaving some sort of disclaimer that this is very much an acquired taste. Yes, Hello Games supposedly improved upon the launch version (I say ‘supposedly’ as I didn't buy it at launch) but that doesn't necessarily mean that No Man’s Sky in it’s finalised form is great either. It’s average. It's not terrible but it's not great. It’s a chill game that’s nice to play when you want to take your mind off things with it’s endless loop of mining, recharging, crafting and building. If you like that sort of thing then this is perhaps the most perfect example of it and I can see why it has such a strong fanbase (the online community in general seem really pleasant).

For me personally, those elements work best within a wider context. In Fallout 4, for instance, the base building is awesome but that’s because it sits nicely within a good game loop. You go out to explore/ discover, meet cool new NPCs, complete quests lines with compelling stories, engage in heart pounding combat all the while creating your build and acquiring awesome new weapons, modding these weapons and levelling up to become stronger than you were when you first set out… and THEN you come home after a day of adventuring, using the trash the way you’ve picked up along the way to continue working on your base. It’s an incredibly rewarding experience.

No Man’s Sky doesn’t have that. Even the much touted discovery aspect is incredibly weak because once you’ve seen one planet you’ve seen them all. The Artemis quest line did have an emotionally resonating conclusion and I did like that my actions were judged at the end but those moments of 'story' are few and far between.

Once I realised what type of game this is i.e. a chillax, self-medicating base building simulator, I started to ease into it and became less frustrated. I understood that it didn’t necessarily need a “point”. As far as distracting time-sinks go, No Man’s Sky does the job.

However, sometimes the mundane tasks became obstructive when I really just wanted to get on with the mission at hand. For instance, at one point you take command of a freighter which introduces you to a new mechanic where you can send ships on missions to acquire various useful items. I was excited at the prospect of this, as it seemed very different from anything else I did in the game thus far, plus I enjoy staff management simulators.

Sadly, my glee was short lived because halfway through the second voyage – despite the fact that the ship I sent was strong enough to handle it – the mission went awry and the ship took significant damage. I recalled it, not wanting to take unnecessary risks with my crew but in that moment I knew, even without checking, that a damaged ship meant I’d have to repair it with various resources before sending it out. Once again, the true motive of a newly introduced gameplay mechanic was exposed. I wasn’t interested in yet another run of back and forth menu fiddling so I never touched the freighter missions ever again.

Still, the game is very pretty at times and it is a technical accomplishment with its minimal loading screens even though it does have some unnerving bugs and the occasional crashing when warping. This is a must-buy for those who like a chill experience just doing mundane tasks for the sake of it, for those who are fond of routine and repetition without end. However, for those looking for some sort of epic space odyssey - like all the new trailers would still have you believe - this isn’t it, and I really wish reviewers would make that abundantly clear before mindlessly blurting out, “it’s good now!”
19-10-2019, 21:23   #229
Potential-Monke

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastorTroy View Post
Really must start Myst. For anyone here who's played Myst, which is the version to play - Myst or RealMyst?
Don't know the difference myself, but this seems to answer it (there appears to be 4 editions of Myst now):

Quote:
The main difference between the two games is that Myst and Myst: Masterpiece Edition are 2D games, while realMyst and realMyst Masterpiece Edition are 3D games. All version tell the same story, except that the realMyst games have the Rime age not found in the 2D games.

In the 2D versions of Myst, you can only go to certain locations and turn to fixed viewpoints. In the 3D version of Myst, you can explore anywhere.

The main difference between Myst and Myst: Masterpiece Edition is that the former uses an 8-bit color palette, while the latter uses a 24-bit color palette. This is a noticeable difference if you play the two games.

The main difference between realMyst and realMyst: Masterpiece Edition is that the latter uses redone textures of a much higher quality as well as running in a higher screen resolution.

On a side note: Myst's first sequel, Riven, is a 2D-only game. It's also considerably larger and more difficult than the original Myst.

Note: There are 4 more Myst games after Riven. They are:

- Myst III: Exile - A person who has a grudge against Atrus steals his latest linking book to what is Atrus's new home. You need to get it back.
- Myst IV: Revelation - Atrus's daughter is missing, you need to find her. Also reintroduces Atrus's sons from the first game.
- Myst V: End of Ages - The final game in the main storyline.
- URU: Ages Beyond Myst - Not in the normal Myst storyline and uses a different game engine. It was developed as an online game, but also has offline components. The online component was discontinued for a while, but appears to be back now.
Thanks from:
19-10-2019, 22:50   #230
CastorTroy

I picked up Myst:Masterpiece Edition and RealMyst, as well as Riven and Myst V at some point through GOG.

Anyway, moved on to and finished another puzzle game, Machinarium.
Was grand but didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. You could get a hint per screen and a more complete guide by completing a minigame.
Speaking of minigames, I felt there were too many and one or 2 got tedious.
Some of the interactive objects were hard to see as well.

Anyway will move on to a non puzzle game and maybe restart Project Zero 2. Started before but something else came along and distracted me
Advertisement
20-10-2019, 18:28   #231
K.O.Kiki

Finished INSIDE.

Verdict:
What. The. FÚCK?!
21-10-2019, 12:05   #232
TinCanMan

Shadow of the Colossus remake PS4 - An all time classic.
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves remastered PS4 - Loved this, an improvement over no.1 which was also good but has aged somewhat.
God of War PS4 - The game of this console generation.
Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception - A cinematic masterpiece.
What Remains of Edith Finch - A beautiful and moving game.
Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition PS4 - Absolutely amazing, a must buy and is often on sale.
Infamous Second Son - feel like a super hero. Good game but can get repetitive.
Horizon Zero Dawn - This game is breathtakingly beautiful. Matched by excellent gameplay.
Detroit: Become Human - damn this game just draws you in and plays with your emotions. Highly recommended.
22-10-2019, 12:01   #233
Kingp35

I finished Gravity Rush 2 recently and I must say it was a major let down after the excellent original on the PS Vita. Packed full of boring side quests, it was largely a chore to get through although the main story was mostly enjoyable with some good boss fights. I think the gameplay is more suited to a shorter length game like the original.

I also finished The Town of Light in between finishing Gravity Rush 2. It's a short walking simulator based on an old mental Asylum in Italy and inspired by real stories. I enjoyed it a lot, excellent graphics and unsettling at times. There's very little 'gameplay' as such so many people won't enjoy it but I am fan of walking simulators and enjoyed this.

GamePlatform
Assassins Creed OriginsPlayStation 4
Assassins Creed OdysseyPlayStation 4
God of War PlayStation 4
Spyro The Dragon PlayStation 4
Spyro 2: Ripto's Revenge PlayStation 4
Spyro 3: Year of the Dragon PlayStation 4
Spider Man PlayStation 4
Call of Duty Modern Warfare Remastered PlayStation 4
Eventide 3: Legacy of Legends PlayStation 4
Grim Legends 3: The Dark City PlayStation 4
Spider Man DLC: The City That Never Sleeps PlayStation 4
Flower PlayStation 3 (PS Now)
Knack PlayStation 4
Bastion PlayStation Vita
The Lego Movie Videogame PlayStation Vita
Virginia PlayStation 4
What Remains of Edith Finch PlayStation 4
Noir Chronicles: City of Crime PlayStation 4
Lego Batman 3: Beyond Gotham PlayStation 4
Red Johnson's Chronicles: One Against All PlayStation 3 (PS Now)
Stranger Things: The Game Android Mobile
Legacy 2: The Prisoner Android Mobile
Lego City Undercover PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
Nightmares From The Deep 2: The Sirens Call PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
Sherlock Holmes: The Devils Daughter PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
My Brother Rabbit PlayStation 4
Nightmares From The Deep: The Cursed Pirate PlayStation 4
Lego Ninjago The Movie Video Game PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
Detroit: Become Human PlayStation 4
Queens Quest 2: Stories of Forgotten Past PlayStation 4
The Town of Light PlayStation 4
Gravity Rush 2 PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
22-10-2019, 16:04   #234
ionapaul

Another one to add to my Switch list:

PS4

Horizon: Zero Dawn - great, great game, really loved the story, the world and most of the gameplay. My type of gaming experience
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune Remastered - the first Uncharted I've played and I quite enjoyed it! A male Lara Croft is what I expected and just what I got
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves Remastered - really enjoyed this one, great story and tasty gameplay. Big improvement over the original

Nintendo Switch

Celeste - fairly difficult platformer; was thrilled/surprised to finish it without needing to resort to the 'easy mode' help, was very enjoyable for what it was. And really suited the Switch's portability I think.
GRIS - short puzzle-platformer, got through it in about three hours. Nice game, but not the best experience playing handheld.
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - never played the original, enjoyed this but it was fairly short! Got it for a song as a result of GameSpot's generous trade in offers, and I think a fair price would be €15-€20.
Advertisement
23-10-2019, 21:46   #235
Sephiroth_dude
One Winged Angel

Far cry new dawn - PS4
Shadow of the tomb raider -ps 4
Yakuza kiwami - PS4
Ys VIII - Switch
Trails of cold steel - ps 4

and adding RDR 2 - ps4
24-10-2019, 13:40   #236
da gamer

Battlefield V - PS4
Spyro - PS4
Red faction - PS4
Yakuza zero - PS4
Dmc 5 - PS4
Resident evil 2 - PS4
Shadow warrior - PS4
Red dead redemption 2 - PS4
Fifa 19 - PS4
Life is strange - PS4
Split Second - Xbox 360
Tomb raider legend - Xbox 360
Soma - PS4
Turok - Xbox one
Spiderman - PS4
Metro exodus - PS4
Fifa 19 - Switch

Ghostbusters remastered - PS4
24-10-2019, 13:51   #237
B.A._Baracus

Gears 5 (Xbox One)
Was late to the party playing Gears Of War 4 and only completed it a few months ago so it worked out nicely time-wise as Gears 5 was coming out.
Really enjoyed number 5. Probably dipped ever so slightly in the middle as playing 4 was fresh in my mind. So couldn't help but compare the two. But it finished strong and look forward to playing Gears 6 now.

Graphics are amazing as you would expect. Guns feel heavy and got great sound effects out of them. A wide variety of them too. The same could be said for every enttry tho. Did feel like there wasn't alot new weapons but that doesn't matter as if it aint broke don't fix it.

Kait is an interesting character to play as too. Easy to route for. As for the ending? and interesting choice by the developers and it was good.

Overall: Well worth it. Especially seeing as how it's on game pass too.
25-10-2019, 01:17   #238
Retr0gamer
Category Moderator

Ace Combat 7
Dragon Quest 8
MegaMan
Megaman 2
Super Mario Bros
Megaman 3
MegaMan 4
Metal Gear
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake
Picross S

Dragon Quest

Yeah it's an extremely basic and short RPG but I enjoyed my time through it.
25-10-2019, 09:25   #239
Kingp35

Quote:
Originally Posted by da gamer View Post

Ghostbusters remastered - PS4
I played and loved the original on the Ps3. Is it worth getting the remaster?
27-10-2019, 04:51   #240
The Phantom Pain

Red Dead Redemption 2.
Destiny 2: Forsaken, Warmind and Curse of Osiris.
Assassin's Creed III Remastered.
Assassin’s Creed III: Tyranny of King Washington.
Far Cry 5.
What Remains of Edith Finch.
Mass Effect 1.
Dishonoured 2.
Grand Theft Auto V.
Dishonoured: Death of the Outsider.
Fallout 4.
Infamous: Second Son.
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves Remastered.
Detroit:Become Human.
Assassin's Creed Liberation Remastered.
Borderlands 2 (Handsome Collection).
Borderlands 2: Captain Scarlett & Her Pirate's Booty DLC.
Final Fantasy 15.
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered.
No Man's Sky.

Far Cry Primal. Completed and platinumed. Had this in my backlog for about 2 years! Solid game and quite underrated considering that it has a lot of innovations that many other games that have come out in the last few years clearly pinched. It’s better than Far Cry 4 but not as good as Far Cry 5, which is the best one IMHO. Combat is super fun - the pre-historical setting changes your priorities for the better where suddenly it becomes about intelligently managing your resources during combat, as every weapon is consumable. Great graphics too with some of the best forest moonlight I’ve seen in a triple A title (second only to Red Dead Redemption 2), and no towers to force us to observe it all either, thank goodness.

The only negatives are pretty much that which can be found in most Far Cry games i.e. typical Ubisoft fat, chaotic enemy spawning, and character power level being blatantly throttled by where you are in the campaign rather than the choices you make in free roam. Although to Primal’s credit, many of the items needed to upgrade inventory can actually be found on specific missions, and Far Cry 5 cuts this extremely controlled level-gating out entirely in favour of letting the player do whatever from the start.
The camera can be very fussy too, causing certain button prompts to flicker on and off on a dime. Looting a body, for instance, is a mission in itself.

But overall, it’s a fun game. Worth playing and can be bought for well under 15 quid now.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion