Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Insomnia?/Tips for good sleep

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I have the occasional bout of insomnia. I am the early waking sufferer. Can drop off no problem.

So when this happens and there is no way I can go back to sleep, up I get and have a glass of milk and a biscuit. ZZZZZ after. I figure maybe my blood sugar was low or something.

Another thing that works for me (when I am too lazy/cold to get up out the warm bed when I wake) is to drop a fizzy multivitam into a small glass of water. Has to be one with magnesium in it (Aldi do a great one). ZZZZZZ.

Now the above tricks don't ALWAYS work, but most of the time they do. If they don't work, I listen to podcasts in the dark under the covers. It might take some time but I always drop off eventually.

Sleeplessness is awful, and is a very underrated condition for many.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

I never realised this forum existed. I've read most of this thread and have tried most of the stuff mentioned at one time or another without any success. My problem is I can fall asleep in no time but I always wake about about 3am and quite often don't get back to sleep at all or get back off 2 hours later but then only sleep for another hour or so.

I exercise most days, I'm pretty shattered every evening going to bed. I don't smoke, don't drink much and have a reasonably healthy diet and rarely eat within an hour of bed. I'm not overweight. I don't really stress about too much and I'm not depressed.

When I wake I feel absolutely wide awake, as if I've slept for 10 hours when it's only be 3 or 4. My brain does be going at a millions miles an hour, it's usually all rubbish. I've lost count of the amount of times I've solved Man Utds formation problems at 3am! It's usually from around lunch time onwards that the tiredness really starts to hit me, I find it hard to focus.

I haven't tried taking any supplements such as Melatonin, I'm always a bit wary of them.

Any advice welcome

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

masterK wrote: »
    I always wake about about 3am and quite often don't get back to sleep at all or get back off 2 hours later but then only sleep for another hour or so.
    I often wake up for some reason at about 3AM, and really don't know why. I used to fight it, tossing and turning in bed. Now I get up and do something (research, class preps, chat on boards, games, etc.). When I tire, I go back to sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

Black Swan wrote: »
    I often wake up for some reason at about 3AM, and really don't know why. I used to fight it, tossing and turning in bed. Now I get up and do something (research, class preps, chat on boards, games, etc.). When I tire, I go back to sleep.

I've tried that, the problem is the more I try to get up quietly the more clumsy I become and end up waking my wife who when awoken at 3AM isn't the slightest bit concerned for my predicament.:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

masterK wrote: »
    I've tried that, the problem is the more I try to get up quietly the more clumsy I become and end up waking my wife who when awoken at 3AM isn't the slightest bit concerned for my predicament.:)
    Fortunately my flatmate is a sound sleeper, so I can sneak out to the living room at 3AM closing doors and work without disturbing her. If I get sleepy, I can fold up in our easy chair.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,001 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Warm tub. Works.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭pat k

I work shift hours, so the morning shift is 8 am - 4pm, evening shift is 4pm-12am and the night shift is 12am-8am sleep fine on all the shifts bar the Morning shift grrrrr can be a total disaster for me , funny thing is tho I do not be tired it tends to be just my eyes that get sore, and my record for staying awake (actually not able to sleep) is 39 hrs .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,001 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

pat k wrote: »
    I work shift hours, so the morning shift is 8 am - 4pm, evening shift is 4pm-12am and the night shift is 12am-8am sleep fine on all the shifts bar the Morning shift grrrrr can be a total disaster for me , funny thing is tho I do not be tired it tends to be just my eyes that get sore, and my record for staying awake (actually not able to sleep) is 39 hrs .
    If shifts vary. No sleep pattern.

MOD: Unstickying to see if posts increase.

Heavy daily exercise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭el diablo

I've tried almost everything listed here (and a lot more!) but my insomnia shows no sign of improving. Guess I'm stuck with it for the rest of my life.:o

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

el diablo wrote: »
    I've tried almost everything listed here (and a lot more!) but my insomnia shows no sign of improving. Guess I'm stuck with it for the rest of my life.:o
    Diet?

Fathom wrote: »
    Diet?

My diet's pretty good. Pretty sure that's not the cause.

My diet's pretty good. Pretty sure that's not the cause.
    Eating & drinking habits? When eaten or drank, not what. Late snacks?

Eating & drinking habits? When eaten or drank, not what. Late snacks?

I rarely eat late snacks. And I don't drink coffee after 3pm. My diet's not the cause.

Holistic approach? Meditation? Tai chi lessons?

Holistic approach? Meditation? Tai chi lessons?

I've tried meditation but never really stuck it out. Maybe I should give it another try....

I've tried meditation but never really stuck it out. Maybe I should give it another try....
    Friend says it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Over the counter drowsy anti histamines are brilliant like Piriton or others with similar ingredients. Take the lowest dose possible and see how it works for you. Totally non addictive, and then zzzzz

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 SteveCloony

Maintenance Insomnia: is when you wake up one or more times during the night for no particular reason, or wake very early, unable to get back to sleep. This can happen because of insufficient physical exercise during the day, or too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Acceptance can open doors. Often the worry is the cause of the problem. I have no sleep pattern and just sleep when I can and never worry. Had a good sleep earlier then woke and have been happily occupied. Soon will sleep again. Used to worry me as I am chronically ill and need sleep. But when I stopped fretting, it got easier.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Anyone tried buying melatonin supplement ? Someone mentioned to me about my circadian rhythm being off if I have trouble sleeping for a month now

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Anyone tried buying melatonin supplement ? Someone mentioned to me about my circadian rhythm being off if I have trouble sleeping for a month now

It's worth a try but make sure you only take it in small dosages (less than 5mg). Taking it too regularly can affect your own ability to produce melatonin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

It's worth a try but make sure you only take it in small dosages (less than 5mg). Taking it too regularly can affect your own ability to produce melatonin.
    Can you recommend a brand

Can you recommend a brand
    I don't think it's available over the counter in Ireland (I live overseas) which is completely ridiculous. Maybe you can order it online on iHerb etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I don't think it's available over the counter in Ireland (I live overseas) which is completely ridiculous. Maybe you can order it online on iHerb etc.

Too much bluescreen time (Tv/PC/iphone/games) actively interferes with your sleeping patterns and ability to produce and regulate melatonin. . I’d start there before meddling with potions. Says he typing & still on the internet at 4am !!!

https://www.aao.org/eye-health/tips-prevention/should-you-use-night-mode-to-reduce-blue-light

Their counterpart Irish organisation issued a report and press release a few years back saying how damaging it was & were extremely concerned about childrens useage.

Too much bluescreen time (Tv/PC/iphone/games) actively interferes with your sleeping patterns and ability to produce and regulate melatonin. . I’d start there before meddling with potions. Says he typing & still on the internet at 4am !!!

https://www.aao.org/eye-health/tips-prevention/should-you-use-night-mode-to-reduce-blue-light

Their counterpart Irish organisation issued a report and press release a few years back saying how damaging it was & were extremely concerned about childrens useage.

Yeah, blue-blocker glasses and the f.lux app on Windows or Blue Light Filter on Android are useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

At my wits end, went 4 nights without sleep and had to take a Xanax to get about 5 hours then the night after another sleepless night. A lot of stress in the last 6 to 8 weeks so thats definitely the cause. I cut out tea and coffee completely, eat healthy, don't eat past 6pm. At what stage does this get dangerous? As in if I don't sleep tonight do I need to go see a doctor? My brain is frizzled, difficult to piece thoughts together at times. I tried guided meditation on Spotify on google home beside the bed but not sure about that, don't think its for everyone.

At my wits end, went 4 nights without sleep and had to take a Xanax to get about 5 hours then the night after another sleepless night. A lot of stress in the last 6 to 8 weeks so thats definitely the cause. I cut out tea and coffee completely, eat healthy, don't eat past 6pm. At what stage does this get dangerous? As in if I don't sleep tonight do I need to go see a doctor? My brain is frizzled, difficult to piece thoughts together at times. I tried guided meditation on Spotify on google home beside the bed but not sure about that, don't think its for everyone.

Have you tried magnesium or melatonin? it's probably a good idea to switch off your modem at night time as EMFs can be harmful. It's better to download the meditations rather than playing then online while you're trying to sleep. Working on the cause of your stress should probably be your top priority. Anyway, good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

Glass or two of red wine puts me sound a sleep and wakes up all energetic in the morning. Is this normal?
    It worked for me for a while. It was white i used. Now not so much sometimes after not having for a while it does

Advertisement