Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shaving brush

• 04-09-2019 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,823 ✭✭✭✭

Any recommendations on a good shaving brush I can ask the kids to get for my birthday?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

So a few questions for you before offering some suggestions.

Have you ever used shaving brush before? If so, what type - badge, boar, horse, synthetic etc.

Would you have an aversions to animal hair or would you prefer synthetic?

Will it be used mainly for soaps or creams?

Will it be face lathered or bowl lathered?

Is there a general price point you wouldn't like to have suggestions above?

Answer those and we should be able to pull together a list of options.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,823 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

No
    No
    I have a cream I’m using at the moment, been using gels KoS for years till my other half gave me a cream from the body shop recently and while I’m sure it’s a poor mans cream I’m not finding it to bad at all.
    Not sure, just rubbing the cream into my face at the moment with my hands.
    Maybe a bowl set?..... not to hung up for the moment on a new razor, but like the idea of getting a straight edge one sometime.
    Don’t want to break the bank but don’t want something out of a supermarket! I suppose about 30 bucks ish for a brush, maybe a bit more for a bowl set.

Is badger the best?
    I supposed the handle is important also

There isn't really a 'best' hair for a brush. It's subjective really. Each you're if hair will have its pros and cons.

As a starting point, badger hair would easiest to get used to in my opinion.

I'll go through the rest of your post and try give a few suggestions by tomorrow evening.

Also, the body shop shave creams have a good reputation from memory.

Fair play thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

This might surprise you, but brushes can easily be 10x more expensive than your average safety razor. It took me ages to talk myself into spending 30 quid for a razor and only afterward did I realise that was just the beginning.

Anyway, let's take a look at what's available: https://www.shaving.ie/shaving-brushes/

I'm looking in under 30 quid (what I consider gift territory). Omega and Semogue are well regarded brands. There's even a Simpson badger in that price range, but I'm not sure the knot size. I wouldn't recommend Muhle brushes unless you are only bowl lathering creams.

Just some terminology when talking brushes there:

knot size which is the diameter of the brush going into the handle
    brush loft which is how long the bristles are (and obviously overall height of the whole brush + handle)
    brush shapes: how the bristles are cut, but bulb is most popular.
    brush density: People also talk about having some scrub or backbone to it. I personally don't like a floppy brush so avoid Muhle brushes. You need to have some backbone to dig into hard shaving soap and also to give your face a bit of a scrub while face lathering which many like.
    brush material: Then there's how it feels, how coarse or soft, which is really where the price can shoot up

I won't bang on, there are links and videos about all this we can provide if interested. Just pointing out there's a certain amount to it especially when shopping online buying sight unseen. As you will be scrubbing this thing against your face possibly til you die, some people (like me) go mad and get one custom made for a small fortune. But you can do equally well lathering with a 10 quid brush. It's a matter of preference.

If it was me buying a gift for someone (applying my tastes) I would probably stretch for their store-brand silvertip:

https://www.shaving.ie/products/black-silvertip-special.html

• Advertisement

I've one of these and it's honestly a bargain. Great brush for the price and it's one I would recommend too.

For synthetic I would recommend - https://www.shaving.ie/products/muhle-black-fibre-brush-v2.html These V2 versions of the synthetic knots are pretty good so the main difference between them is just the styling.

For boar - I would recommend a Semogue 610 or 620. Lovely brushes once the bristle tips split and soften.

In regards to the brush/bowl combo, I wouldn't be buying one yet. Just us any bowl from the kitchen if you want to bowl lather to begin with.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

FWIW I started with the following:

https://www.shaving.ie/products/semogue-owners-club-2-boar-cherry.html

Good starter brush I think and I used it for around 3 years. I did find it used to shed hair quite a bit.

Recently I bought this:

https://www.shaving.ie/products/semogue-owners-club-2-band-badger.html

Pretty much double the price but I really notice the difference. It has a very nice feel while applying soap and holds the lather quite well. I haven't noticed any shedding of hair and it didn't take long to break in unlike the first brush.

Both the same brand, the first in Boar hair the second is badger hair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I hope you don't mind hijacking the thread but I have a similar question.

I need a replacement for a Muhle Badger brush that possibly has went down the toilet courtesy of a toddler. Not sure what model of Muhle it was.

Anyway, I do like a relatively soft brush, started with a cheap Wilkinson Sword that I find quite rough.

I mainly use a soap puck (Mitchell's Wool Fat) or sometimes a shave stick, lathering on my face.

I see the recommendations above but would my preference for soap alter those recommendations? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

Personally, I have never quite understood the price point of more expensive badger brushes, which to my mind represent poor value when compared with their boar, horse and synthetic brothers. I have 2 silvertip badger brushes but find I use them far less frequently than my boars and am starting to really enjoy synthetic brushes.

I feel you can get excellent brushes online for under €20 - for boars any of Omegas (I personally prefer them to Semogues); Vie Long horse hair brushes are very good; Yaqi synthetics represent the best brush value if you are willing to wait a bit longer for delivery

thanks for the tips and info guys

is there any b&m shops around Dublin for this kind of stuff?

• Advertisement

Seve OB wrote: »
    thanks for the tips and info guys

is there any b&m shops around Dublin for this kind of stuff?

Knights barbershop in Stephens Green shopping centre will have brushes but likely with a decent mark up.

Honestly, the 35 quid badger brush above is great. If it was a brush from a known brand it would be selling for at least double its price - if not more.

must be missing something because I cant see any 35quid badger brush linked

Seve OB wrote: »
    must be missing something because I cant see any 35quid badger brush linked

Apologies, I was looking at the before VAT price
    - it's actually 45.

https://www.shaving.ie/products/black-silvertip-special.html

Probably a bit beyond the budget for now.
    I'll just send them to the website and see what might materialize

So I pretty much left it in the hands of my girls..... well wife really lol

So the end result is a Dovo Soligen Badger brush 918 052
    I’m sure it was just bought in a B&M shop.

https://thesuperiorshave.com/product/dovo-918-pure-badger-brushes/

Looks and feels like the right job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭ryaner777

Any idea what shop they purchased from ?

ryaner777 wrote: »
    Any idea what shop they purchased from ?

The Waldorf. Best barbershop in town.

Actually to follow on, I’m enjoying the brush. So far though I’m not sold that using a brush is any better than just using your fingers.

Having said that, it does certainly add to the experience of your shave.

My sister is getting prepared for Christmas now and wants to know what I would like. Contemplating getting a old fashioned cut throat razor. Anyone have any experience with these?

There are a few here who have experience with them.

I'm sure I've given a detailed post with advice on here before so I'll try dig that out some time this week.

Here's a link to the dedicated straight razor thread

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=65072753

Whipped Dog is generally a good place to pick up a cheap usable set up. Chances are it won't be a pretty razor but it'll do the job very well

• Advertisement
Advertisement