Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What practice/beliefs make you instantly lose respect for someone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Anyone who has a positive opinion of Trump or his supporters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Anyone that finds money on a shop floor and puts it in their pocket. It's one thing finding money in the street and keeping it but if someone drops money in a shop there's a good chance they'll come back looking for it. Keeping it rather than handing it in makes you a thieving scumbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

People that run on the road next to a perfectly good footpath.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Jackman25

Candie wrote: »
    Sweeping generalizations about tens of millions of people based on the experiences of a few and extrapolation borne of confirmation bias.

People who never pass up an opportunity for a bit of politically correct sanctimony.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,727 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

murph226 wrote: »

But, but, they're training for the Olympics! They're entitled to use the road!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Anyone mention Scientology yet?

Damn it Travolta.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

murph226 wrote: »

People that turn left onto a side road or who pull right up to a junction and stop - right into the path of a runner on the footpath whose about to cross the road, and has right of way...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Anyone that finds money on a shop floor and puts it in their pocket. It's one thing finding money in the street and keeping it but if someone drops money in a shop there's a good chance they'll come back looking for it. Keeping it rather than handing it in makes you a thieving scumbag.

I was waiting at the till in a spar shop a while back when I seen the woman in front drop some money, so I picked it up and gave it back to her - it was €200. She was delighted of course and told me she had only lost another €200 the week before.

Happy with my good deed and high with anticipation of the karmic reward coming my way, I set off home, only for a steam geyser to erupt from the bonnet of my car, some valve thingy had fallen apart - cost me €200!

Now, I don't know what the moral of that story is but there's just too many €200's for my liking.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Squeakers: "And I'm like, O M G! Unreal!"

Just shoot them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Girls or fully grown women who act like girls , who simper and giggle at the end of their sentences .

Women dumbing themselves down to be less threatening to those who are intimidated by confident women .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

This thread and the trivial annoyance one are good for knocking the judbgemental streak out of me, though .

It's only a matter of time before we all see our own behaviour /habit/thing we say listed.

This

I've seen a couple of things here that I do/have done

Admission: I've been the fish in the work microwave guy and I'm marrying someone who does it too, we're horrible people but at least we're mating within species

But then I see the guy who gives out about cyclists cycling two abreast and threatening to hit them and I'm right up on my judgmental pony - you sir are an ar$ehole

Grayson wrote: »
    People who don't watch the good place is on the list.

Knock me off your list Grayson - I settled in last night and watched the first 4 episodes.

Pretty good so far I have to say!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Anti water charges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Red Lightning

“I respect you as a person too much to respect your ridiculous beliefs.â€

― Johann Hari

A very disrespectful comment cloaked as a compliment.

A very disrespectful comment cloaked as a compliment.

Not at all. It is a distinction between the respect we should hold for people - and the respect we should never hold for ideas. Only the former are deserving of our respect. Only the former actually requires it or desires it.

That you want to demand respect on behalf of your ideas is your error - not the idea's. Learn the difference.

Not engaging with bad ideas for fear of the person who holds them is not showing that person respect. Quite the opposite. It is to treat them like a child made of cotton. And that is something I will never do to anyone I respect. Which is - for the most part - everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

That doesn't surprise me given the way they do funerals over there. Cold. Impersonal. Take ages to be held and the priest / vicar never seems to know the deceased.

In my industry I deal with a lot of English colleagues - fine on a personal level but professionally are much more standoffish and impersonal with customers. They have a totally different way of doing business. And then you have the converse - I have dealt with English customers who have relocated to Ireland and they can't believe how much the Irish do for them (from a service perspective) compared to the UK staff.

Yeah I have experienced the funeral thing here too- very impersonal almost an inconvenience.

Sure you know the way it is in Ireland well in the less urban areas anyway. Someone dies- everyone drops everything and the funeral and burial over with in a few days. No excuses.

I have honestly heard of funerals taking weeks later sometimes months because they couldn't agree on dates. Body lies in the morgue for weeks sometimes months until the family could be bothered to do something about.

This is no lie. I know of a family and the funeral date was pushed back because one of the daughters' had a prior appointment booked with her hairdresser on a particular day. I wouldn't believe that only it was said to me first hand and the sibling telling me didn't express any issue with it. Or somebody has holiday booked.

I have warned my workplace a few times that when my g/mother and g/uncles die (all in their late 80s) I will drop what I am doing and flying straight back to Ireland that day. No questions asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Anyone who wants year round wintertime since DST will be abolished

TaxAHcruel but these beliefs are very important to some people. I'm sure they don't mind if you don't hold similar beliefs but if you bash them for believing then it is very disrespectful.

Ok I have seen two different posters in the last 24 hours write 'per say'.

It is 'per se' :mad:

TaxAHcruel but these beliefs are very important to some people.

Absolutely! But that in no way negates a single word I wrote above.
    if you bash them for believing then it is very disrespectful.

Sure. But no one advocated that and in fact since your first post on the matter this is the first time that was mentioned at all. So you have somewhat shifted the goal posts on that one.

Your first post was about bashing the beliefs. My counter post was that that is fine.

You have now shifted it to bashing _them_ for having those beliefs. My post just before this one distinguished between doing that (which you should never do) and bashing the belief itself (which we should).

So right after my post making that distinction - you replied to me with a reply that entirely misses that distinction and in fact falsely conflates the two directly. Which is an unusual move to have made.

• Advertisement

TaxAHcruel but these beliefs are very important to some people. I'm sure they don't mind if you don't hold similar beliefs but if you bash them for believing then it is very disrespectful.

No belief is in and of itself worthy of respect.

My missuses parents are ultra religious. I have zero respect for any and all religions. That doesn't mean I have no respect for my in laws - they are both great people, they just have some beliefs which I believe are nonsense.

That's my belief, should they have to respect it?

1. Smokers
    2. Smokers who throw their fag butts on the ground even when they are standing 2 feet away from a bin
    3. Smokers who throw their butts out of the car window while driving- that really sends partyguinness around the bend.
    4. Pregnant women who smoke.

If you are a smoker I don't want to know you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Yeah I have experienced the funeral thing here too- very impersonal almost an inconvenience.

Sure you know the way it is in Ireland well in the less urban areas anyway. Someone dies- everyone drops everything and the funeral and burial over with in a few days. No excuses.
    Over there don't you have to be invited to the funeral, not like here where everyone goes to the wake and church if they can.

You have now shifted it to bashing _them_ for having those beliefs. My post just before this one distinguished between doing that (which you should never do) and bashing the belief itself (which we should).
    You can bash all the beliefs you want. No skin off my nose but when you do it to someone who it is really important to, it's disrespectful imo and quite a dickish thing to do. I mean the people that completely jump down someone's throat when they mention Religion at all.
    My missuses parents are ultra religious. I have zero respect for any and all religions. That doesn't mean I have no respect for my in laws - they are both great people, they just have some beliefs which I believe are nonsense.
    That's fair enough but it would be disrespectful if you started arguing with them over their beliefs being 'nonsense' in your words.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Seeing someone join a facebook pile-on.

People who write others off completely for what is, logically , just a human flaw or bad habit, not anything heinous .

No skin off my nose but when you do it to someone who it is really important to, it's disrespectful imo and quite a dickish thing to do. I mean the people that completely jump down someone's throat when they mention Religion at all.

The second sentence I agree with. But not just with Religion. With anything at all.

The first sentence is a load of tosh though. When the time is right to tear apart a pile of nonsense belief - how important it happens to be to the person holding it could not be less relevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

People who never take any responsibility
    Everything that goes wrong is entirely someone else’s fault, and completely out of their control.

I have to deal with my in laws through gritted teeth. The stereo typical Brexit voter

1. White
    2. Baby boomer generation retirees
    3. Blatant racists/bigots
    4. Daily Mail readers;
    5. Smokers despite cancer surgery
    6. The mother in law has never paid a penny in personal tax in her life- the odd cash in hand cleaning jobs but yet is happy to milk the NHS and rant about emigrants.
    7. Will not leave the country (as in England)
    8. Pasta and garlic bread is foreign muck- honestly.
    9. Passing judgement on our high mortgage even though they were handed a Council house in 1970s so our generation is screwed by house builders- they havent got a fcking clue
    10. They believe any old rubbish they read in the Daily Mail.

The are so fcuking small and vanilla it's untrue. Other than that they are grand.

I just console myself knowing that their ongoing health problems has a silver lining and my wife just has just one other sibling so their inheritance will go a long way to paying off our mortgage. Bonus.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Anti water charges.

Pro corruption and waste

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭pgj2015

people who hit their kids.

people who smoke in their car with kids in it.

Advertisement