Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hate crime? Really?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Do we really need all these posts to determine a hate crime?

In this case it wasn't.

Good night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

B0jangles wrote: »
    It's like they compulsively check to see there is any personal benefit to themselves if an accomodation is made to help someone gain access to something would otherwise be closed off to them, and if there isn't they scream that it's NOT FAIR.
    I remember someone actually saying that they got ridiculed for being a Liverpool fc supporter in a discussion like this.

What makes them so uncomfortable with the notion that people with certain unusual life affecting differences/disabilities deserve some dignity?

Do we really need all these posts to determine a hate crime?

In this case it wasn't.

Good night
    For me the issue is with people being more bothered about the words a rag paper put in a headline than what happened to Sinead - to the extent of minimising it. Is misuse of the term "hate crime" really so worth getting bothered by?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I remember someone actually saying that they got ridiculed for being a Liverpool fc supporter in a discussion like this.

What makes them so uncomfortable with the notion that people with certain unusual life affecting differences/disabilities deserve some dignity?

Bacause narcissism and/or total lack of empathy usually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

For me the issue is with people being more bothered about the words a rag paper put in a headline than what happened to Sinead - to the extent of minimising it. Is misuse of the term "hate crime" really so worth getting bothered by?

This thread reminds me of other discussions here when someone refers to a pedophile and provokes all the "it was actually hebephilia, the child was 11" posters with their multipage debates on the definition of puberty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

It's always interesting how many people on the right or perhaps the alt-right are only consumed by linguistics when it involves a socio-political debate.. "I can't be homophobic because I don't fear the gays"

In this case, an act of hate is referring to the act of having contempt for a person's rights and their dignity. Whether you show such contempt because of a dislike for them, or sheer apathy towards another human being's feelings, to be so contemptuous is a hateful act.

Accusation of people you disagree with as being alt-right is a bit much and seems more a tactic to flaunt ones own self perceived righteousness or a willingness to believe recent propaganda by pseudo-journalists that every thing bad that happens in the world is due to some form of Nazis hiding among the general population.:rolleyes: The world would be a better place if each of us treat everyone and every situation fairly and logically and leave emotions out of an analysis of a situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

So what?

Some drunk chaps picked you up, and now you're part of that ever growing group in society that thinks they are victims...!? FFS! :rolleyes:

Some people really need to toughen themselves up and stop being so quick to play the victim card... it's embarrassing. We are creating a nation of weaklings and softies! :P

Previous generations would have laughed most of this stuff off and got on with their life... now it's some kind of big scandal. Please... Grow a pair!! :pac:

Have you ever heard of good manners?

feargale wrote: »

yes we have and that's about all it is, bad manners by 16 year olds.
    She's trying to make a name for herself, I don't care if she's short or not.
    She's all over the press crying about it, boo hoo. it's not a hate crime.
    It's also not a crime to leap frog anyone against their will or without permission end of story. She wasn't violated as though she's trying to insinuate.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,324 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

rusty cole wrote: »
    She's trying to make a name for herself

She's just back from hanging out with Christine Lagarde and Will I Am in Davos and she's writing in British Vogue.

I think she's got the name thing sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,816 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

It's also not a crime to leap frog anyone against their will or without permission end of story. She wasn't violated as though she's trying to insinuate.
    How would you feel about some leap frogging over your head totally randomly in the street because you were short?
    By the sounds of it you would be delighted?
    Would you maybe consider walking around with a little sign on your back?
    Laying your hands on someone in a totally unwarranted way sounds like a crime to me.

From my point of view it is a hate crime she was clearly targeted due to her height.
    The lack of compassion from some of the posters on here is disheartening to say the least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,720 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

feargale wrote: »

More like acting like a cnut in my books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Teddy Daniels

try and think before you post. seriously.

Little people are not disabled.

Her condition is indeed a disability.

I wonder how many of the big lads with the little jokes have been invited to Davos to hang out with Christine Lagarde, Will I Am, Oprah and more?

https://extra.ie/2019/01/26/entertainment/celebrity/irish-activist-sinead-burke-tells-davos-disabled-people-need-platforms

Is it ?

I don't know if it was a hate crime either but wording is not as big a deal as what was done to the woman, and what she has to put up with constantly.

No it wasn't. He got banned.

Oh there’s no card on the post can you link the ban?

Oh there’s no card on the post can you link the ban?
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109916593&postcount=108

It's a lot more than bad manners and you know it.

Is she "all over the press" or is it this one article?

Only the spindo said it was a hate crime.

She was of course violated. She was humiliated just because of her diminutive stature, and unable to defend herself. This is just one example of what she has to deal with on a regular basis due to having dwarfism. Why do you have a problem with her highlighting it? What is it that you find so objectionable? It's a weird thing to be so hostile about.

Is it ?
    Yes.

Listen to her TED talk and see what you think.

Little people are not disabled.

Well, that's nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Lots of tiny penises in this thread threatened that anyone other than a straight white man would have a voice in the media.

Sad.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    Lots of tiny penises in this thread threatened that anyone other than a straight white man would have a voice in the media.

Sad.

wt actual fook..

who's hate filled now!! where does sexual orientation and colour come into this, let alone dick size.. gas stuff altogether.

It's a lot more than bad manners and you know it.

Is she "all over the press" or is it this one article?

Only the spindo said it was a hate crime.

She was of course violated. She was humiliated just because of her diminutive stature, and unable to defend herself. This is just one example of what she has to deal with on a regular basis due to having dwarfism. Why do you have a problem with her highlighting it? What is it that you find so objectionable? It's a weird thing to be so hostile about.

yea right, up there with Brexit.. terror now it is!! why...? what??? who???
    you're like mastermind there with the Q&A take a breath.

seamus wrote:

****ing hell. Shoehorning white male guilt into this is beyond parody. Well played.

(Also you insinuated that people who have penises are exclusively male - dock yourself 2 virtuous points)

seamus wrote: »

Sad.
    I don't get this stuff either. You're a straight white man aren't you? How do you know what size the other men's penises are?
    yea right, up there with Brexit.. terror now it is!
    That's dumb-ass Joe.ie, not Sinead.

I just don't understand why you are so angry towards her and so determined to downplay what she has to put up with, and so lacking in empathy. Yeah there is a large number of idiots who get offended by practically nothing, but she is not one of them - having dwarfism and having to deal with constant humiliation (this was only one such incident) and highlighting this, is not offence over nothing. And a person who doesn't have dwarfism saying it's no big deal - well their point of view doesn't mean sh1t.

Just because there are all these really easily offended and triggered eejits out there, doesn't mean it's necessary to be harsh and indifferent even towards those who have genuine grievances.

I don't get this stuff either. You're a straight white man aren't you? How do you know what size the other men's penises are?

That's dumb-ass Joe.ie, not Sinead.

I just don't understand why you are so angry towards her and so determined to downplay what she has to put up with, and so lacking in empathy. Yeah there is a large number of idiots who get offended by practically nothing, but she is not one of them - having dwarfism and having to deal with constant humiliation (this was only one such incident) and highlighting this, is not offence over nothing. And a person who doesn't have dwarfism saying it's no big deal - well their point of view doesn't mean sh1t.

Just because there are all these really easily offended and triggered eejits out there, doesn't mean it's necessary to be harsh and indifferent even towards those who have genuine grievances.

OK Hermann Rorschach lets put this to bed. Angry at her?? eh no. Angry at the outcry and hate crime ****e? yes?.
    For the record If I was standing there, I'd have easily stood up for her, it's a lousy thing to do. I almost slapped a guy for telling a begger to Fook off and get a life once, so I'm not Hitler!

it's simply not a hate crime. ok, we're settled on this now.

Just wondering if any of the big lads with the little jokes got invited to the Met Gala with Gaga and Soairse and Harry and Jared and got to write about it in Vogue?

https://www.thejournal.ie/sinead-burke-met-gala-4623675-May2019/

No? That's a shocker.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,102 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

OK Hermann Rorschach lets put this to bed. Angry at her?? eh no. Angry at the outcry and hate crime ****e? yes?.
    For the record If I was standing there, I'd have easily stood up for her, it's a lousy thing to do. I almost slapped a guy for telling a begger to Fook off and get a life once, so I'm not Hitler!

it's simply not a hate crime. ok, we're settled on this now.

We're really not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Just wondering if any of the big lads with the little jokes got invited to the Met Gala with Gaga and Soairse and Harry and Jared and got to write about it in Vogue?

No? That's a shocker.

If anyone is looking for a rhetoric question its just up there ^^^

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Captain Barnacles

No? That's a shocker.

So what, condescending to invite her really, invite her for what she has achieved not because she is a dwarf and it's politically correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

We're really not.

We did have 4 blissful weeks until Andrew's post though. Ah those were the days.

Advertisement