Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VIII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,536 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

The hospitalization of Herman Cain, a former GOP presidential candidate, because he's been infected by Covid-19 so soon after attending the Trump Tulsa rally should send shivers down the back of others who attended it as it shows the worth of the disclaimer they may have signed protecting the Trump campaign. People willing to attend Trumps July 4th Mount Rushmore fireworks event [which he reckons will total 100,000] also have to sign a similar disclosure. The masks and social spacing are not a requirement as Mount Rushmore is a National Memorial under the National Parks Service, the strictures applying to privately-owned premises/property apparently don't apply when it comes to the planned Trump event.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,422 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

aloyisious wrote: »
    The hospitalization of Herman Cain, a former GOP presidential candidate, because he's been infected by Covid-19 so soon after attending the Trump Tulsa rally should send shivers down the back of others who attended it as it shows the worth of the disclaimer they may have signed protecting the Trump campaign. People willing to attend Trumps July 4th Mount Rushmore fireworks event [which he reckons will total 100,000] also have to sign a similar disclosure. The masks and social spacing are not a requirement as Mount Rushmore is a National Memorial under the National Parks Service, the strictures applying to privately-owned premises/property apparently don't apply when it comes to the planned Trump event.

It should but what about people's freedoms ?

Itssoeasy wrote: »

Eh? If one choose to use one's freedom of choice to give a campaign immunity from any responsibility for one's care while at a campaign event, more fool one when one has after-the-event responsibilities towards others. The fact that one knows it's Trump who benefit's from the event while he's eschewing any similar duty of care for those attending his event makes attending the event at a location under the legal control of a Govt Dept even sillier. Maybe my point was blurred.

An example of silliness: On Capitol Hill, Rep. Andy Biggs (R-Ariz.) on Thursday called for the White House to dissolve its coronavirus task force so that health officials like Anthony Fauci and Deborah Birx are prevented from contradicting many of President Trump's "stated goals and actions" when it comes to the economy. Rep. Andy Biggs (R-Ariz.) -- chair of the right-wing House Freedom Caucus -- not only resides in Maricopa County, he also represents part of it in Congress. Given the public-health crisis in his community, common sense suggests the GOP lawmaker would focus almost entirely on addressing the pandemic. In recent weeks, few states have struggled more with the coronavirus crisis than Arizona, where infection rates are soaring to tragic heights. Maricopa County has had it especially rough, with far more cases than any other county in the state, and roughly half of Arizona's COVID-19 fatalities.

I "borrowed" the contents of my last paragraph from an article by Steve Benen on MSNBC. He's a producer on the Rachel Maddow show.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

Itssoeasy wrote: »

Personal freedom does not trump civic responsibility and general morality.

You don't just catch a virus yourself, you spread it.

Edit: I get that's not really your point but it's something that bugs me about the current debate in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Water John wrote: »
    Greg Abbot Govn'r Texas makes wearing masks mandatory.

His Deputy will be fuming, he thinks he knows more than Fauci.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Jacksonville just adopted an Indoor Mask mandate
    The resurgence of the virus in Florida, where the number of new cases has been rising nearly every day, has turned the convention into an even riskier gamble. In a must-win state for Mr. Trump — and arguably a must-win city for Republicans — recent polls have shown that Jacksonville residents do not want the convention.

Masks will be required in indoor public places and in any other gathering spots where social distancing is not possible, Jacksonville officials said. It is unclear how long the mask order will be in place, but it will presumably apply to the 15,000-seat VyStar Veterans Memorial Arena, where three nights of convention speeches, including Mr. Trump’s, are scheduled for Aug. 24-27.

There are also suggestions that the GOP may cancel it altogether as the terror of another Tulsa style turn-out increases..
    This week, Jacksonville, Florida—where Trump moved the Republican National Convention so he could hold a 15,000-person rally next month—mandated that people wear masks indoors to slow the explosion of COVID-19 cases. According to a Republican working on the convention, the campaign is now preparing to cancel the event so that Trump doesn’t suffer another Tulsa–like humiliation. “They probably won’t have it,” the source said. “It’s not going to be the soft landing Trump wanted.”

From the same article linked above :-

With Donald Trump’s approval sinking to Jimmy Carter levels and coronavirus cases spiking across the country, Trump is reluctantly waking up to the grim reality that, if the current situation holds, his reelection is gone. Republicans that have spoken with Trump in recent days describe him as depressed and “down in the dumps.” “People around him think his heart’s not in it,” a Republican close to the White House said. Torn between the imperative to win suburban voters and his instincts to play to his base, Trump has complained to people that he’s in a political box with no obvious way out. According to the Republican, Trump called Tucker Carlson late last week and said, “what do I do? What do I do?”

• Registered Users Posts: 12,914 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

moon2 wrote: »
    When taken in context the response is bad as it's even more rambling than usual.

The positive reading of it is that he simply is uninformed and so cannot give a coherent response. The negative reading would be that he's incapable of understanding what's going on.

Seems like he's got cognitive issues? Hmm

Quin_Dub wrote: »

From Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacksonville_City_Council [hope its up to date]

Jacksonville City Council members

Map of the city council districts
    District Name Party
    1 Joyce Morgan Dem
    2 Al Ferraro Rep
    3 Aaron L. Bowman Rep
    4 Scott Wilson Rep
    5 LeAnna Cumber Rep
    6 Michael Boylan Rep
    7 Reggie Gaffney Dem
    8 Ju'Coby Pittman Dem
    9 Garrett L. Dennis Dem
    10 Brenda A. Priestly Jackson Dem
    11 Danny Becton Rep
    12 Randy White Rep
    13 Rory Diamond Rep
    14 Randy DeFoor Rep
    At-large
    Seat 1 Terrance Freeman Rep
    Seat 2 Ronald B. Salem Rep
    Seat 3 Tommy Hazouri Dem
    Seat 4 Matt Carlucci Rep
    Seat 5 Samuel Newby Rep

13 GOP members, 6 Dem members when it comes to voting.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I knew that war crimes pardon was dodgy but didnt realise how bad it was, its actually unbelievable:

https://www.mediaite.com/opinion/watch-soldiers-of-clint-lorances-platoon-react-in-disgust-to-hannitys-interview-with-convicted-and-pardoned-killer/

The way they can latch on to things like Benghazi when its the Democrats and celebrate madness like this is incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Thargor wrote: »
    I knew that war crimes pardon was dodgy but didnt realise how bad it was, its actually unbelievable:

https://www.mediaite.com/opinion/watch-soldiers-of-clint-lorances-platoon-react-in-disgust-to-hannitys-interview-with-convicted-and-pardoned-killer/

The way they can latch on to things like Benghazi when its the Democrats and celebrate madness like this is incredible.

Sweet Jesus! Maybe we're missing something that Hannity saw??

Manic, if you're listening.... Any military perspective?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

He's not the only one he pardoned, remember Eddie Gallagher got pardoned before Christmas and was invited to Mar-a-Lago

Well that guy sounds like a delight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,233 ✭✭✭Cody montana

“Protestors have blocked off the road to Mount Rushmore using vans without tires,“

Then could end badly.

I shouldn't laugh given the pandemic but Mexico has closed its border with the USA due to coronavirus. Oh that's funny kind of given what trump said during the campaign and during his presidency.

“Protestors have blocked off the road to Mount Rushmore using vans without tires,“

Then could end badly.

Sure the leader of the Native American tribe that legally owns the land around Mt Rushmore(upheld by the SC in 1980) told the president he's not welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I assume they will get the 7500 in attendance that they are expecting.

Hopefully no real trouble with protestors and law enforcement.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

I assume they will get the 7500 in attendance that they are expecting.

Hopefully no real trouble with protestors and law enforcement.

The rightful owners have told those people to stay away. The 7,500 inside and the 3,500 outside are taking part in a White Supremacist rally led by Trump, against the express wishes of the legal owners. Surely those owners have rights! They are not protestors... They are legal owners expressing their right to have their lands, and ownership interests respected by the Government of the United States. The White Supremacists have gone there to trample on their rights and disrespect their heritage.

Shameful bully-boy tactics!

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    The rightful owners have told those people to stay away. The 7,500 inside and the 3,500 outside are taking part in a White Supremacist rally led by Trump, against the express wishes of the legal owners. Surely those owners have rights! They are not protestors... They are legal owners expressing their right to have their lands, and ownership interests respected by the Government of the United States. The White Supremacists have gone there to trample on their rights and disrespect their heritage.

Shameful bully-boy tactics!

Well the governor of the state threatened to arrest the rightful owners of the land. The Native American tribe is the Sioux nation.

I think most posters here are decent people and they dont want anybody to get covid-19, but myself personally can't stop stupidity. If you go and ignore the public health measures in place to protect you from the virus then that's on them.

When it rains it pours for Donnie....

- Junior's GF (or whatever) has tested + for Covid-19...
    - Donnie's niece 's book is publishing away, as the Court rejected his Brother's attempt at prior restraint of the Publisher's distribution of the book..
    - The campaign is tanking as he heads into the holiday weekend...

And the weekend is still young!!!

I think that speech from Mt Rushmore will do him more harm than good in the polls.

Obviously you'd expect nothing of him but to double down and only attempt to appeal to his base but this disconnect with what's actually happening all over the country and the projection of an alternative reality and the continued, for months at this stage, insistence that the virus will simply disappear is going to kill him with everyone outside of the cult following. Not to mention referring to traitors to the nation as his heroes.

It has happened before in the US and I don't see anything to say it won't happen again. When the public feel you have no understanding of their plight it is pretty hard for them to identify with you.

That the US government paid no attention to the rights of the Natives Americans should also come as no surprise to anybody.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,472 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I'm not sure that it will. People know exactly what Trump is at the moment. One either looks to change it or accepts it. There is nothing more he needs to do to prove how unsuitable he is for the job.

So anyone still saying they support him is doing so despite all that has happened. If there was any doubt going into 2020, his catastrophic response to Covid-19 and then his total inaction over the Russia bounty story should be more than enough for any person to have given up entirely on him.

So any speech he gives, and lets to honest here is is an almost uniquely awful public speaker, is going to little for either camp. Even if he knocked it out of the park, as many have stated about Obama nice speeches does not a POTUS make. His deeds, or in the case of C19 total lack of them, is there for all to see.

As for the plight of the Native Americans, the majority of people in the US don't care.

It's not either camp that matters though, it's the seemingly ever shrinking votes that are still up for grabs, he is incapable apparently of figuring out how to bring them into his tent.

That's what I mean when I say do more harm than good in the polls, outside of the cultists.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,233 ✭✭✭Cody montana

"We only kneel to Almighty God," Trump remarked, in a clear shot at athletes who kneel in protest during the national anthem. "We will not be intimidated by bad, evil people. It will not happen."

Talk about pandering to his base!

"We only kneel to Almighty God," Trump remarked, in a clear shot at athletes who kneel in protest during the national anthem. "We will not be intimidated by bad, evil people. It will not happen."

Talk about pandering to his base!

I've not looked up what trump said in his speech but your quote shows it wasn't a transformative speech where trump did a 180.

Also, Kimberly guilfoyle who is his sons girlfriend who's tested positive for coronavirus, the trump supporters seem to think it's either fake news or it's a false positive.

Why did she have to bail out of the trip in that rabbit hole? Deep state conspiracy? Some kind of 4d chess move to stick it to the libs?

Why did she have to bail out of the trip in that rabbit hole? Deep state conspiracy? Some kind of 4d chess move to stick it to the libs?

They don’t get that deep stringer. It just seems to be that the reality isn’t real for lack of a better description.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,104 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The Native Americans are people of colour too. The Washington Redskins are going to change their name.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The Native Americans are people of colour too. The Washington Redskins are going to change their name.

Huh. I guess that hadn't happened, cos weren't they in hot water a few years back for their name? Or is this something that rolls around every X years, and they just ride it out.

The Rushmore decision to snub the Sioux is not even remotely surprising. Stats on the native American people make for sobering, heartbreaking reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,914 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

I'd actually say it's at best 50:50 the Redskins change their name. It's not the first time this issue's come up with them and they always make noise and wait for the fuss to blow over. This time, FedEx who sponsors their stadium has said to change it, which might help.

Cleveland Indians baseball team also 'reviewing' their name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,203 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Igotadose wrote: »
    I'd actually say it's at best 50:50 the Redskins change their name. It's not the first time this issue's come up with them and they always make noise and wait for the fuss to blow over. This time, FedEx who sponsors their stadium has said to change it, which might help.

Cleveland Indians baseball team also 'reviewing' their name.

I think Nike had some influence on the decision this time too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement